Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What the heck do I drive next?

5K views 77 replies 25 participants last post by  donald 
#1 ·
With the imminent collection of my Kia Soul and seemingly premature arrival of a Zoe, which everyone seems to think has a slight problem (Zoe transmission noise, sounds bad, probably have to go...) if I send the Zoe back what do I do next?

I am very keen on the Zoe deal and find a replacement. But what else if that swap-over doesn't go to plan?

... You know what .. after scouring the inner recesses of my brainpower this PM I am slowly coming around to one of the craziest-not-so-crazy ideas I have had; if it were to materialise over the next week or so that I become Zoe-less, maybe the answer is .. get back in an Ampera?

.. I have surely had worse ideas in my life ...

#9 ·
No, I have tried to try one. I called 3 local dealers and none really knew anything about BEVs and tried to sit me in a hybrid.

I am quite picky on seat comfort and is the reason I have not gone with a Leaf before, I have never found the Leaf very comfortable. I need to try an Ioniq before I would commit to one.

I mean, I did sign up to those bonkers deals, do you remember there was 'supposedly' half a dozen that appeared for lease at some silly number, and I did get my name in quick, only for it to be rebuffed by the advertiser.

I'll take a look to see if anything is for outright sale at the moment.

#10 ·
I am quite picky on seat comfort and is the reason I have not gone with a Leaf before, I have never found the Leaf very comfortable.
My 30kWh LEAF Acenta had the most comfortable drivers seat I’ve tried in a long time.

Meanwhile I found the Ioniq one of the less comfortable seats as if I could never quite get it right. Longer distance journeys were guaranteed to give me back pain. Shame as it was otherwise great.

If you’re seemingly the opposite of me in terms of seat preferences, definitely try an Ioniq. If you find it comfortable I’m sure you’ll love it!

#11 ·
Yes 30kW Acenta seats were nearly as good as my Rover 75. The 40kW Tekna seats are a little less comfortable but miles better than the Zoe. Dont know about other EVs although I did try the Jag ipace but hated it for other reasons. The seats in my Austin Ambassador (wedge) were the best I ever used.

#70 ·
Press the "sport" button. The standard accelerator mapping in a Leaf is like the Ioniq in Sport. A nice benefit is that I found tyres last literally twice as long in the Ioniq compared to Leaf.

#14 ·
I seem to have a similar vehicle choice to you @donald having started in an Ampera in 2014, changed to a Kia Soul EV and am now in a new 38.3 kWh Ioniq.

Wife had a 24 kWh Leaf, now in a 40 kWh, so I also have experience of the Leaf.

I also put my name down for one of the crazy Ioniq lease deals but missed them. Then I did get a very competitive lease through DSG that was almost the same price as I had been paying for my Soul EV through the Drive Electric deal.

Only had the car just over a month so not had the chance to use it much but very happy with my choice.

Also have some definite Ampera vibes in the Ioniq. Something to do with the body shape, split rear screen, no rear wiper and the new touch sensitive buttons!

Anyway, definitely worth checking one out and speak to Jeff at DSG to see what he can offer.

Derek

#16 ·
I went out to buy a radiator (hang the wall type) and thought it couldn't do any harm to just look at this Mazda MX5 and then found myself standing in the showroom trying to think of a good reason why I should not purchase the vehicle.
You'd never get that radiator home in the back of a MX5.

#28 ·
#30 ·
So why is the exact status of your car?

I presume you are signed up on the lease and the next stage is for the garage to have a look it it so see if the issue can be resolved?

Seems a bit premature to be shopping for a new car already.

I switched everything off in the Zoe this morning and it was totally silent. Couldn’t even hear the motor under hard acceleration.

#31 ·
I have a 14 day period to reject the car for no reasons I have to argue about. If I were to take that route, that causes a lot of problems if I were to do that, for everyone, and I don't want to, but if you're telling me your car is silent, and mine sounds worse than my very worn 200k Subaru, then TBH I am not in the happiest place I could be.

If I decide to annul the lease deal in the time frame, there is no option for me to consider carrying on using the car, I feel awkward now adding any miles to it when that is a possibility. So I will need a car 'instantly'.

#32 ·
I have a 14 day period to reject the car for no reasons I have to argue about. If I were to take that route, that causes a lot of problems if I were to do that, for everyone, and I don't want to, but if you're telling me your car is silent, and mine sounds worse than my very worn 200k Subaru, then TBH I am not in the happiest place I could be.
Well it certainly warrants an inspection by Renault as it sounds like there maybe something not right in the transmission.

Just listened to your sound file. I guess that could get very annoying. Definitely don't have that in mine.

There is a risk that Renault will say 'They all do that, Sir'...

#38 ·
Exactly what my Renault Grand Scenic does. 3 or 4 trips to Birmingham and a few trips to the dump each year.

I have a leaf too but I'm not sure which bigger EV could replace the Skoda estate. If there was one, I would be interested. A Leaf estate would probably do.

#50 ·
Exactly what my Renault Grand Scenic does. 3 or 4 trips to Birmingham and a few trips to the dump each year.
Work out what you could hire for the cost of taxing and insuring the Scenic each year. We need to hire about 6 times a year for longer distances than are fun in the LEAF, and it works out substantially less than the RFL and insurance for my previous ICE. Oh, and you can hire what you need for each trip rather than compromising on one vehicle.
I have a leaf too but I'm not sure which bigger EV could replace the Skoda estate. If there was one, I would be interested. A Leaf estate would probably do.
The MG 5 Estate will be out soon.

#40 ·
I think you'd like the Ioniq for comfort, efficiency, and quietness, but none of the deals online are anywhere near the circa £225 month that the Oct'19 group achieved*. Based on my limited experience, 170 miles is easy on a full charge, and more if you really hypermile. Could you testdrive a 38 ioniq and at least rule it out?

*based on 10kmiles total over 24months.

#43 ·
Does anyone else feel electric cars sets losing their “looks”.

When I upgrade my Leaf one of the biggest deciders is the look of the car, I like to drive something that looks a little different and “electric”.

#47 ·
Unfortunately I’m a poor Doctor not a stock broker! Lol

#49 ·
Ohhhhhh I do like the look of it, reminds me of something from the old film “total recall”

#52 ·
Lol just realised that made no sense thanks to my iPhone autocorrect.

Meant to ask how far is to far for a leaf journey before you would hire a car?

#58 ·
Lol just realised that made no sense thanks to my iPhone autocorrect.
Your reply sounds almost sexual!!!! Catering the car to get the best out!

lol
Seems that it has got you again, unless you have to wine and dine the car to get the best out of it. Being a cheapskate I prefer just to caress the car...... :p

Reactions: burnt_crisps2
#53 ·
@dk6780
I've looked into hiring and it doesn't work out cheaper even for 4 trips but, in any case, its just too much faff picking it up and dropping it off in some dingy yard. You've got the worry of paying for extra insurance to cover scratches etc.
My "really very good" suggestion is that there should be ICE car hire set ups at Park and Ride car parks so you can pick one up outside the town you live nearest to and then pick up an EV the other end. Probably have to wait a while for that to be economically viable.

MG Estate sounds good though. Just wondering, has anyone gone from two ICE vehicles to one EV or even 2 EVs in a family? And was it a success?

#55 ·
Just wondering, has anyone gone from two ICE vehicles to one EV or even 2 EVs in a family? And was it a success?
Yes - BMW 530D Touring and Suzuki Vitara to 2 x LEAF24 (+ we have few pre-War toys). We'll agree to differ on the hiring - Enterprise deliver/pickup so work well for us.

#54 ·
My arse is nearly to fat for a LEAF :devilish: , but answering the intended question it is more on charges - so 2 recharges in each direction which is around 180 miles in a LEAF24. I do raids into bits of Wales that lack any charging infrastructure a few times in a year recceing rally routes and it is more fun to hire something small and rear-wheel drive such as the old 1 series BMW or an MX-5 - I've still to master handbrake turns in the LEAF. :rolleyes: Although the correct combination of scandinavian flick and left foot braking is good for getting the tail around on the LEAF (I was taught by Timo Mäkinen's co-driver who was from the period when the co-driver drove as much as the named driver and they won an Alpine Cup on the Monte Carlo Rally in a Cooper S - he is still no slouch behind the wheel even today despite being the wrong side of 80).

#56 ·
Another vote for an Ioniq @donald. If you like the Ampera style it won't jar on you. It's a supremely competent car with legendary efficiency and just begs to be driven by a sympathetic driver who is skilled enough to take advantage of its coasting ability, then on to max regeneration in three further stages at the fingertips, to achieve impossible miles/kWh figures. The car seems to work with you if that is the driving style. But it can also hustle along if required - still without dropping much below 4.0 m/kWh. Well worth at least a test drive if only to check for seat comfort.

#57 ·
Your reply sounds almost sexual!!!! Catering the car to get the best out!

lol

#59 ·
Lol bloody autocorrect!!!

I remember watching a program about a lad that was dating his car, it was some medical condition ,

I think he actually had a sexual relationship worth it to!

It takes all sorts!

I do speak to mine tho!

#61 ·
Just remember to wipe the dash andsteering wheel of any used car you buy!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.