Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Niro EV 4 for just over a week now. Done a couple of long journeys and several short ones. I like that the car has a history of economically you've driven. On the short ones (less than 20 miles round trip) I'm averaging between 3.7 and 4.2 miles per kwh without trying to be economical. The best I've achieved is 5.1 miles per kWh on a 22 mile journey. This was in normal mode not eco or eco+ but I was driving at speed limits, accelerating gently and using auto regen as much as possible.
The car has placed a little star next to my 5.1 miles per kWh journey :)

Curious what other EV drivers in different cars can achieve.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
5.1 Is also the best I have managed along any significant distance in my Zoe and that was with the use of eco mode. But I generally am averaging right around the 4.0 mark with most of my driving, and that's in standard mode.

I've had one of my past cars tell me that I achieved a whopping 11 Miles per kWh efficiency before. I got super excited, then really confused. I looked in more detail and it classed me reversing out of my garage as a complete trip!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,642 Posts
Wow! My personal best in the Soul is 4.9mi/kWh (star as well) on a 8 or 9 mile journey. But my worst is 3.3mi/kWh on a 30miles mostly motorway at 70mph SCC.

I'm really pissed that UVO doesn't show efficiency in the "My Trips".

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had one of my past cars tell me that I achieved a whopping 11 Miles per kWh efficiency before. I got super excited, then really confused. I looked in more detail and it classed me reversing out of my garage as a complete trip!
Great idea. I have a reversing camera. If I did all my short trips in reverse .........

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In years to come when comparing fuel economy for different EVs what do people think would be a good benchmark to aim for?

Would 4 miles per kWh be considered in the same ball park as say a 45 mpg diesel in terms of something that is good "fuel" efficiency for a large car?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
You're gonna have to convert that into proper units of measure.:) Interesting your car has kWh/100km. Mine is miles per kWh. That seems more natural as it's the equivalent of miles per gallon.
That's about 6.3Mi/kWh according to a calculator I just found online.

He regularly drives through Europe from what I've seen of his posts on these forums. Presumably when you change the car's settings to metric units so it will display the speed in km/h it will also change the efficiency figures to a standard metric measurement too.

·
Registered
903 Posts
This was in normal mode not eco or eco+ but I was driving at speed limits, accelerating gently and using auto regen as much as possible.

Curious what other EV drivers in different cars can achieve.
By doing similar (taking it gently) I got this from my 3SR+

134Wh/mi = 7.46 mi/kWh

However, admittedly my destination was at lower altitude. Took a slightly different route home, and was a little less gentle on the throttle on the return journey:

190Wh/mi = 5.26 mi/kWh

Total round trip:

163 Wh/mi = 6.13 mi/kWh.

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
You're gonna have to convert that into proper units of measure.:) Interesting your car has kWh/100km. Mine is miles per kWh. That seems more natural as it's the equivalent of miles per gallon.
I think you’ll find my car is more SI compliant than yours. ;)

·
Registered
903 Posts
However, admittedly my destination was at lower altitude.
I just decided to run the numbers on the impact of this.

On the journey above, my home is about 80m higher elevation than my destination (costco).

1650kg car x 9.8m/s/s gravity x 80m elevation delta = 1293600J potential energy difference.
Divide by 3600s = 359.3 Wh
Divide by 14.5mi = 24.7Wh/mi

What this means is that by taking the altitude change over the journey, you would expect the journey there to be 24.7Wh/mi better than a flat road and the return journey to be 24.7 (slightly less as i took a longer route, but we'll stick with it, it's only back-of-an-envelope stuff) worse.

So, 134Wh/mi + 24.7Wh/mi = 159Wh/mi "flat road equivalent"
190Wh/mi - 24.7Wh/mi = 165Wh/mi "flat road equivalent"

In other words, the difference between outbound and return journey measurements is almost exactly explained by the potential energy change due to altitude. There's other aspects (like didn't take account of driver (over)weight, the weight of ~100kg of stuff from costco on the return journey, etc). The gravity adjusted values are both very close to the round trip average (which is exactly as it should be of course - but proves the above calculations are somewhere vaguely close to accurate).

·
Registered
310 Posts
In years to come when comparing fuel economy for different EVs what do people think would be a good benchmark to aim for?

Would 4 miles per kWh be considered in the same ball park as say a 45 mpg diesel in terms of something that is good "fuel" efficiency for a large car?
I did the calculation for my old ICE - it has a fuel consumption equivalent to 1.1 miles per kWh which is much worse than the 3.1 miles per kWh I'm getting in my Zoe (the 3.1 seems low, but that's based on leccy into the charger plus wifey does most of the driving at (high) motorway speeds).

Interestingly, petrol costs around 11.5 p per kWh, which is about the same as I'm paying for my electricity!

To do the calculation yourself, get your own ICE's miles per litre then divide that by 9.3 to get the miles per kWh.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Best I've done in my Ampera is 60 miles using 10.4 kWh, = 5.76 miles/kWh! No time pressure at all; max speed was about 40 mph at the bottom of a dip, cross-country trip to Silverstone Fully Charged & back, v early in the morning, and quiet evening, being chased by the occasional tractor! Not how I usually drive tho' ... :)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,244 Posts
5.5 m/kWh in my MG

IMG_20200426_140124.jpg

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
221 Posts
I'm averaging 3.9m/kwh in the i3, always drive in Normal mode and 50% of miles at 70 mph.

According to the app 3.9 is the average for the 'community' too
My i3 'all trips average' is 4.4m/kWh. My best long trip average is 5.2m/kWh over 120 miles at 40mph average speed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts