Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting to know the Model 3 for a while, I think there are a few things the Model 3 needs.

1) Non leather seat option. The seats are great, supportive and comfy, but you don't half get sweaty on a long journey. It doesn't have to be leather to be premium
2) Head up display. Current speed, current limit and next turn for navigation. It would be much safer than keep reading the screen
3) Long range single motor variant. The single motor has enough performance for most, but for some use cases the battery could do with being bigger
4) UK plug (like the Honda E), so you can charge your laptop, use a microwave etc :)
5) A more comprehensive colour range
6) Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. Tesla's phone integration is poor

I know the chances are zero on most of these. I just wondered what people thought?

·
Registered
294 Posts
As someone interested in the M3, can you say more about what is poor with the phone integration? Thanks

·
Leaf lover
4,402 Posts
Certainly agree with non leather seats, so much better all the year round.
And as people come to realise that in so many case they are not real leather why would they choose them?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,921 Posts
Back in the sixties (yes, last century) one manufacturer used to advertise "The sheer luxury of real leather".
A comedian came up with a mantra for the average driver " The sheer agony of real PVC".

Nothing new under the sun!

·
Registered
130 Posts
After getting to know the Model 3 for a while, I think there are a few things the Model 3 needs.

1) Non leather seat option. The seats are great, supportive and comfy, but you don't half get sweaty on a long journey. It doesn't have to be leather to be premium
2) Head up display. Current speed, current limit and next turn for navigation. It would be much safer than keep reading the screen
3) Long range single motor variant. The single motor has enough performance for most, but for some use cases the battery could do with being bigger
4) UK plug (like the Honda E), so you can charge your laptop, use a microwave etc :)
5) A more comprehensive colour range
6) Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. Tesla's phone integration is poor

I know the chances are zero on most of these. I just wondered what people thought?
1) In this warm weather I agree. I always rather liked the Audi suede/leather combo.
2) With this one I put it into the "not a problem when we have true FSD" bucket. Nice to have absolutely but I am not sure it is Tesla's long term direction.
4) USB-C (depending on implementation) can have enough power to charge a laptop. It's not going to power your microwave or kettle but I guess that should be enough for most people? Doesn't the cybertruck include mains sockets (although puny US mains)
6) Agreed... although I don't think they specifically need CarPlay or AndroidAudio if they put the effort in themselves... I wish the games devs could focus their efforts on getting music and phone working really well first.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As someone interested in the M3, can you say more about what is poor with the phone integration? Thanks
As far as I can see, 'poor integration' probably refers to music - anyone wanting to use their own subscriptions with Apple/Amazon music etc and view/control from the screen will not be able to integrate this to a Tesla. For everything else the phone integrates well - hands free calling/contacts, the option to have your calendar for the day up on screen when you start the car in the morning including auto navigate to any appointments where you've got an address (very useful) & the ability for the car to show/read out text messages and for you to dictate/send a reply - all hands free. So for me, phone integration is great.

Spotify music that is included with Premium Connectivity uses Teslas account and has what looks like an equivalent music selection to those mentioned above (I've called up really obscure albums on the day of release and so far every one has been there). My wife likes to pick a particular favourite song via voice control and then let the car create a long playlist of similar genre songs. All have a + symbol on screen while playing so pressing this will add to your own personalised playlist (only one per car unfortunately though). The quality of the sound system on Model 3s is excellent, on the LR and P it is outstanding.

·
Registered
294 Posts
As far as I can see, 'poor integration' probably refers to music - anyone wanting to use their own subscriptions with Apple/Amazon music etc and view/control from the screen will not be able to integrate this to a Tesla. For everything else the phone integrates well - hands free calling/contacts, the option to have your calendar for the day up on screen when you start the car in the morning including auto navigate to any appointments where you've got an address (very useful) & the ability for the car to show/read out text messages and for you to dictate/send a reply - all hands free. So for me, phone integration is great.

Spotify music that is included with Premium Connectivity uses Teslas account and has what looks like an equivalent music selection to those mentioned above (I've called up really obscure albums on the day of release and so far every one has been there). My wife likes to pick a particular favourite song via voice control and then let the car create a long playlist of similar genre songs. All have a + symbol on screen while playing so pressing this will add to your own personalised playlist (only one per car unfortunately though). The quality of the sound system on Model 3s is excellent, on the LR and P it is outstanding.
Ah ok, I thought they meant issues with phone calls and connection etc. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not sure what everyone uses for Podcasts? This is where Apple CarPlay is great.
I just play podcasts from my phone, linked to the car 'Phone' option in the Music tab. I can start, stop and change volume using the steering wheel buttons. Works well for me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ah yes good point - I had forgotten about podcasts. I am using overcast so as long as I remember to start my "Daily Listen" playlist before I drive, I'm good. But as soon as I want to choose while driving then it gets tricky/dangerous. I agree, CarPlay would be very useful in this situation.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ah yes good point - I had forgotten about podcasts. I am using overcast so as long as I remember to start my "Daily Listen" playlist before I drive, I'm good. But as soon as I want to choose while driving then it gets tricky/dangerous. I agree, CarPlay would be very useful in this situation.
I use overcast too. CarPlay integration is great.

Shame that Tesla force you to use A certain podcast client

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm curious by your statement - what do you mean, please? I just play podcasts from my phone.
Using Apple CarPlay (for example) you can scroll through your Podcasts on the car screen, pause, skip 30 secs etc. everything is controlled on screen. You don’t have to touch your phone at all.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
CarPlay/Android Auto allows a independently produced phone app to solve a problem you can't predict you will have in a few years time. However mount points for mobile phones also does the same.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its fine for music on your phone. I listen to a lot of podcasts while driving, via the Overcast app. Every time I want to change podcast I have to touch my phone.

You know the seats aren’t leather?
Ha ha yes. Vegan Leather, Leatherette, whatever they are, after a long journey in warm weather you have back soup :D

Overcast. I could use Spotify and sign in with my account on the car, but I prefer the features of Overcast. If they just supported Apple CarPlay then your not limited to whatever Telsla want you to use. Same with the Nav, I prefer to use Waze.

These are minor criticisms though, overall its the most convincing combination of car and charging network.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There was a rumour floating around (I forget where) that CarPlay was being tested internally and that it was ‘coming’ But who knows? It would be a nice feature, but I’m happy with the car features. As it’s been mentioned, the calls and messages are great as well as the calendar integration. I came from a focus which had aux port to connect my phone and that was the highlight!

I’d quite like a feature to just stay on DAB radio rather than the car deciding to pick and choose what’s ‘better’? A couple of times it’s changed to FM then literally lost signal again and all I can hear is crackling until I decide to hit the DAB saved radio station again!

Just let me listen to DAB!!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
There was a rumour floating around (I forget where) that CarPlay was being tested internally and that it was ‘coming’ But who knows? It would be a nice feature, but I’m happy with the car features. As it’s been mentioned, the calls and messages are great as well as the calendar integration. I came from a focus which had aux port to connect my phone and that was the highlight!

I’d quite like a feature to just stay on DAB radio rather than the car deciding to pick and choose what’s ‘better’? A couple of times it’s changed to FM then literally lost signal again and all I can hear is crackling until I decide to hit the DAB saved radio station again!

Just let me listen to DAB!!!!
Can’t see it myself. Would like it to be, but think they’ve put so much effort in elsewhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have gone back (after 5 years in cars with Android Auto) to using my phone in a cradle for nav and using pocket casts. I only found out this week that you can only have one phone connected at a time - a major pain if, like me, you have a work phone and a personal phone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts