1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New car. In the boot on collection were:
2 x charging cables
1 pack containing tyre pump and gloop and locking wheel nut
1 pack containing lots of steel tubing (no idea what this - jack / wheel brace?)
1 pack containing GardX goodies and extra tyre gloop

I can't see any point in transporting equipment to change a tyre? There is no spare wheel so worse case scenario with a large puncture that can't be fixed with gloop you need a tow truck yes?
Do people carry the tyre repair kit around? I have in various cars for the last 10 years but never used one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like you I have never needed to change a tyre, but I still carry the jack about just in case. I was able to put some of the kit under the boot liner wedged into various nooks and crannies. The cables just sit in the boot loose.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a sort out, I'm carrying the tyre repair kit and the fast charging lead.
I'm leaving the jack and wrenches behind - cannot think of a possible situation where they would be needed???

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Outlander PHEV has a tyre repair kit, compressor and jack. Apparently you're meant to jack the car up when using the tyre repair kit. Not sure if it's the same witht he GTE?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Correct - you need to jack the flat tyre up to spin the wheel to evenly distribute what you pump in. No guarantee that it will work!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You couldn’t spin the wheel whilst it’s pumping in so why not inflate then drive away to circulate the gloop?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
You could save a bit of space and use this product to replace the VW liquid and pump ???.

Holts Tyreweld 400ml

I carry two bottles of this in my car because it takes less space and you don't need the inflation pump.
The jack can be stored in the foam under the boot carpet.
I only carry the one public charging cable in the provided VW bag, this is hanging from the luggage hook on the R/H side of the boot wall.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I carry jack, Holts and VW tyre reinflation kit but have them wedged underneath carpet and to the side where they do not take space. Cables stay in the car most of the time, unless I need the bootspace for something else. However I use the bags and often hook them to the side. I thought the day I forget them when I want them, I will be kicking myself. All of that really isn't heavy enough to worry about.

I have also added a basic DIY tyre repair kit off ebay and in winter months have a pair of snow socks for the front wheels with gloves to put them on just in case. Its not worth fitting winter tyres in the South West but it does mean I won't get stuck if there happens to be snow as thick as we had in 2013.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The most important thing I would like to know is...

Will I be able to fit my golf clubs in the boot and if so, might there be room for my trolley too (it's fairly compact!)?

#firstworldproblems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts