Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2015 Leaf from a main dealer (not Nissan) it was given an MOT, "Service and 140 or whatever point check" then trailered to me.

On checking three wheels have TPMs sensors and one wheel, with damage to alloy and tyre at exactly the valve position, has a brand new traditional rubber stem valve.

Drove it and the TPMs light comes on. Just like it was on the advert picture of the dashboard.

I know the service and 140 point check are fugazi and wasn't expecting anything, they didn't even fill the washer bottle! But, how did it pass a UK MOT with one sensor missing? Even if they reset the TPMs light just for the MOT is that legit?

Also, because the sensor is missing, is my only option to go to Nissan and have a new one fitted and paired with the ECU?

or

Can I buy an aftermarket TPMs and have a tyre fitter put it in, there is no old one to clone?

Can I have three Nissan OEMs and one aftermarket, will that work?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
To my knowledge TPMs aern't an MOT test item.

A DIY video:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To my knowledge TPMs aern't an MOT test item.

A DIY video:
Great video, very useful. Good to know my options if the dealer tries to evade the issue.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
TPMS warning light is a failure on cars from around 2016: prior to that, it was not compulsory for new cars to be so equipped.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
TPMS warning light is a failure on cars from around 2016: prior to that, it was not compulsory for new cars to be so equipped.
Actually I'm wrong. It was only changed in June 2019, see text from MOT testers manual

Defect 5.2.3h changed from 'Tyre pressure monitoring system: (i) malfunctioning or tyre obviously under-inflated (Minor), (ii) obviously inoperative (Major)' to 'Tyre pressure monitoring system malfunctioning or obviously not working (Major)' New defect 5.2.3l added 'Tyre obviously under-inflated (Minor)'

So if the TPMS system is malfunctioning or not working, your car will fail!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
freddym
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing