Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an Ampera but most are near the 8 year / 100k mile warranty limit.

Can it be extended or what are the other options available?

Just conscious the repair costs of the EV elements are much more than the typical ICE parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,689 Posts
I tried a few places, some would not cover an electric car and others had a mileage limit of 120,000 ( I can't recall if that was at the start of the policy or it lapsed once the car had covered that mileage. In the end I decided to just put the cost of the policy aside each month, around £36 - £40, each month in the hope that I don't need it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I tried a few places, some would not cover an electric car and others had a mileage limit of 120,000 ( I can't recall if that was at the start of the policy or it lapsed once the car had covered that mileage. In the end I decided to just put the cost of the policy aside each month, around £36 - £40, each month in the hope that I don't need it.
That is probably the most sensible approach - be your own insurer . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all, just keep driving it and maintaining it. I bought the Ampera to replace a car which I drove from 80,000 miles to 165,000 miles. I changed the oil regularly and replaced everything which needed doing and its still running the same as when I bought it. The engine sailed through the MOT with excellent emissions. I intend to do the same with my Ampera and the Ampera has the advantage that usually its driving on the electric motor and I doubt that will ever wear out no matter what mileage I do. I notice the Ampera has a lot of surface rust underneath so i have bought a load of dinitrol to cover unprotected parts. When running an old vehicle, you do need to fix it yourself, or at the very least know exactly what is wrong and exactly what needs fixing. If you turn up at garages with fault unknown , you may end up paying for work which does not need doing and makes your car worse not better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Biggles
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing