Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a new Nissan Leaf owner. 2016 model so not huge mileage even when fully charged. 110 is best so far. But when mileage shows one number and battery shows a different one, which is the one to trust? I have a journey from Devon to Gloucestershire tomorrow which on the way down from Gloucestershire needed 2 x 45 mins charging stops. Would like to plan a better scenario - ie only one 45 min stop! But don't know which reading to trust - battery or mileage. Any help welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to sound stupid but what does GOM stand for - I get M = mileage?
Anyway as a previous Leaf owner, I can see that you have the experience to tell me what to trust. Battery over mileage.
Thanks - that will be a big help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry to sound stupid but what does GOM stand for - I get M = mileage?
Anyway as a previous Leaf owner, I can see that you have the experience to tell me what to trust. Battery over mileage.
Thanks - that will be a big help.
GOM = GuessOMeter. i.e. the predicted range is just a guess.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have the %SOC displaying on the dash, and set the mileage trip counter to zero at the start of each day. I then roughly calculate how many miles I am getting for each 10% SOC, and use that as a guide to calculate how many miles I can rely on - eg. if starting with 100% SOC I am down to 60% SOC at 30 miles, then I can be reasonably sure of being able to do another 45 miles. As the miles per 10% SOC generally increases as the car, its transmission, and the battery warms up, I find this usually works. [However, allowance needs to be made if the outward journey is with a tailwind, and the return journey will be into a headwind, also hill climbing will borrow %SOC (for my Leaf at a rate of about 3% SOC for each 100m increase in height), but return most of it on the following descent.]

I totally ignore the GOM as it is always over optimistic.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Hi I'm a new Nissan Leaf owner. 2016 model so not huge mileage even when fully charged. 110 is best so far. But when mileage shows one number and battery shows a different one, which is the one to trust? I have a journey from Devon to Gloucestershire tomorrow which on the way down from Gloucestershire needed 2 x 45 mins charging stops. Would like to plan a better scenario - ie only one 45 min stop! But don't know which reading to trust - battery or mileage. Any help welcome.
Try using ABRP for your detailed route AND SPEEDS: ask round on this forum for Leak 30 calibration

A Better Route Planner

·
Registered
325 Posts
If it took 2 x 45 min stops going down, I'd be surprised if you got away with 1 stop going back. Best to plan for 2, then if the battery percentage is telling you you've got a fair amount left you may get away with say a 15 minute second stop. I take it you're aware that 2 stops charging to 80% or less is generally quicker than trying to get close to 100% on one stop?

·
Registered
276 Posts
My 2017 leaf returns approx 1 mile per 1% in summer winter a little less. Range is dependant on your driving style heavy right foot will reduce range quickly. As mentioned before wind, rain and hills will affect range as well. With experience you will learn what you can expect from your car and your driving style. Charging often if possible is better than waiting to get 100%, 80% is preferably as that last 20% takes ages. Zap map and ABRP are your best friend for charger info and trip planning. Lots of info on here in the Nissan forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much to everyone for their helpful answers. I did manage with just one stop on the way back from Devon to Gloucestershire and arrived with just under 10% - phew! I would have managed even better if I had been confident enough to get to Sedgemoor Services but stopped at Taunton (I hate Bridgwater!). I'll know for next time. And thanks also for the info about not waiting to get to 100% - I thought it was strange that the last part of charging was slower than the earlier part but that is obviously what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts