Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Far more knowledgable folk on here may throw some light on this! In theory individual cells degrade at slightly different rates, and therefore some could be reusable if it is viable to split the pack down?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
By the time all these (current) batteries are life-expired there'll be a new chemistry on the block - let's say FeCO2 - and, aside from the steel case and copper connections, most of the pack will be worthless.
We'll have lithium landfill :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
107 Posts
If you are really interested in this topic subscribe to the Fully Charged podcast. They have some fascinating interviewees. Suffice to say, the current batteries will have one or two lives after use in cars and after that the materials will be recycled - they are valuable.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,036 Posts
Complete recycling of packs isn’t really all that challenging. Doing so at scale and cost effectively is another matter but of course it’s impossible to scale up because there’s no demand. The few experimental setups out there are working with manufacturing defects and test mule battery packs. At the moment any battery pack from a written off car is far too valuable to break up.

I’m hoping planning for traction battery recycling leads to better handling of laptop and phone batteries.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf Accenta 30kWh, 3.3kW, 2017
34 Posts
Far more knowledgable folk on here may throw some light on this! In theory individual cells degrade at slightly different rates, and therefore some could be reusable if it is viable to split the pack down?
Highly unlikely unfortunately as most of the cell joins will be welded within a module, so by the time you cut them, you would be left with very little material to work with. Or it would require a lot of manual labour to make workable again. However, modules themselves should be fairly easy to remore individually and reuse as appropriate. Even reconfigured into different packs, i.e. smaller ones for home batteries for example.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts