Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EV users in Germany recently discovered they could charge, for free, at a Tesla Supercharger station, and all sorts of EVs, young and old, including an e-Niro, soon turned up at the party.
Turns out it's a software bug, and will be fixed. But the interesting thing is that it's possible, at the flick of a switch. So how much would you offer Uncle Elon for a shot of juice when out on the road?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
As a Tesla owner I think the price would be best set at 50p/kWh and for only 1-2stalls at each site.. if ionity can get away with charging 69p then why not?
Tbh I'd be worried about those drivers when turning up to a busy supercharging site as I'm guessing some owners would be very very unhappy about it should they be queueing and say a Zoe is plugged into a stall....

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,683 Posts
I don't think it has been confirmed that it was a bug.

As far as payment goes, if you are near zero, you will pay for any charger available

For me availability is most important! That should be any networks focus including Tesla, which are supposed to be leaders in electrification, but are the only network limiting access.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
I'll start you off with 30p per KW hour.

Could be a nice income stream for Tesla. Don't mind opening an account if I can have the automatic vehicle recognition and monthly billing that their system allows. That's how it should work everywhere in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It has been confirmed by the head of European charging that it's a bug and being worked on quickly to be resolved 👍

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
I'll start you off with 30p per KW hour.

Could be a nice income stream for Tesla. Don't mind opening an account if I can have the automatic vehicle recognition and monthly billing that their system allows. That's how it should work everywhere in my opinion.
I agree, especially as sunk costs are covered for them so every extra user is pure profit.

The issue now lies with manufacturers who are willing to write software that will talk to Tesla’s servers and sign up to their T&Cs.

So I don’t think it will ever happen.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,683 Posts
It has been confirmed by the head of European charging that it's a bug and being worked on quickly to be resolved 👍
Can you share how you know that?
So I don’t think it will ever happen.
Agree (for once)...
But as I said in another thread, Tesla no longer have that excuse, and it only makes them look stupid and incompetent if they keep claiming that they are not opening the network to other manufacturers because of that...

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,650 Posts
It will not happen. There are a few Tesla owners on here who have said they only bought one because of the supercharger network.

·
Registered
371 Posts
As a Tesla owner I think the price would be best set at 50p/kWh and for only 1-2stalls at each site.. if ionity can get away with charging 69p then why not?
Tbh I'd be worried about those drivers when turning up to a busy supercharging site as I'm guessing some owners would be very very unhappy about it should they be queueing and say a Zoe is plugged into a stall....
No more than 30p outside a motorway. However chargers even from the same company should charge according to location. Like petrol, motorway service stations should charge more but where there's multiple companies looking for customers then market forces should let then charge less.

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
Agree (for once)...
But as I said in another thread, Tesla no longer have that excuse, and it only makes them look stupid and incompetent if they keep claiming that they are not opening the network to other manufacturers because of that...
You still don’t understand, billing is done by the car and handled by the Tesla network. Any manufacturer would need to have this capability - and we know how good the legacy manufacturers are at software.

Tesla have publicly offered the network for use by other OEMs, so you can’t say they’re not open to the idea.

Just opening it up on free vend doesn’t make any sense.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
You still don’t understand, billing is done by the car and handled by the Tesla network. Any manufacturer would need to have this capability - and we know how good the legacy manufacturers are at software.

Tesla have publicly offered the network for use by other OEMs, so you can’t say they’re not open to the idea.

Just opening it up on free vend doesn’t make any sense.
It definitely should not be free vend. That was clearly an accident.

All the OEMs need to do is give each car an ID that's compatible with Tesla's system then Tesla can operate the whole thing at a profit and everyone is happy.

Too much to ask, I know!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,683 Posts
And we have been through this discussion before. Putting an impossible condition on something is simply a publicity stunt, as Tesla knows that no one will take them on it.

It is that simple: their accident proved that they are either incompetent at software or everything else they are saying is lies. You can't argue with that, as most third party EVs have already tried it and managed to charge on a Tesla charger (without exploding).

PS: If Tesla really wanted to make their chargers publicly available, there is a simple straightforward solution as every EV driver knows: contactless. Again, you can't argue with that...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,683 Posts
All the OEMs need to do is give each car an ID that's compatible with Tesla's system then Tesla can operate the whole thing at a profit and everyone is happy.
I don't think it is as simple as the ID. There is also a (complex?) communication system behind it, which to my understanding is not part of the CCS standard. It is simply put a Tesla electronics. As you say, no third party manufacturer will install a Tesla electronics in their car.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Tesla billing is done by the car, which is why this loophole exists (ie there was no charger-side validation). The supercharger isn't the thing that is counting the energy used and communicating the cost to the associated account - the car is. Other cars would have to be able to do likewise.

Interesting thing is that supercharger V3 are able to output up to 1000V, despite no Tesla using greater than 400V currently.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,583 Posts
I’ve paid 69p per kWh to use Ionity on occasion so it would seem unreasonable of me to say I would only pay much less for motorway Supercharger access.

I’d be okay with paying up to 40p at non-motorway locations.

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
PS: If Tesla really wanted to make their chargers publicly available, there is a simple straightforward solution as every EV driver knows: contactless. Again, you can't argue with that...
Currently Tesla make it even easier to use than Contactless.

Why would they take a step backwards?

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
Interesting thing is that supercharger V3 are able to output up to 1000V, despite no Tesla using greater than 400V currently.
No surprise at all.

Both the new Roadster and Semi will require 1000V charging.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It will not happen. There are a few Tesla owners on here who have said they only bought one because of the supercharger network.
This. It's a massive selling point that not other manufacturer has at the moment - sure, this will decline as public charging infrastructure improves, but for the moment, if you're spending that kind of money and have the need to use public charging a lot, it's a bit of a no brainer

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,683 Posts
Currently Tesla make it even easier to use than Contactless.

Why would they take a step backwards?
No they don't. It is a simple fact, that Tesla are using as an excuse their charging protocol, to stop third party EVs from using their chargers. Exactly the same way that all other networks are doing by requesting registration, RFID, etc. Fact proven by the current software snafu.

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
Fact proven by the current software snafu.
Billing is different from CCS protocols.

At least no-one can claim Tesla is using a proprietary standard.

They use a system that doesn’t rely on the charger itself to control the charge session - which means it’s more reliable. The OEMs need to conform to the API via their car’s software. What’s so hard to get?

I think you should check the log in the VAG eye first and ask why the Ionity chargers are so unreliable, yet hideously expensive, despite receiving millions in EU funding.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts