Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in the North East know whats going on with Charge Youre Car? There's signs up at all the rapids now stating from the 1st of April there will be a 35p per KWH hour charge but the one I'm at right now for instance is a free vend.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Most of the early charging infrastructure deployed throughout the UK was subsidised somehow, through local, devolved, central or EU government subsidies to get the infrastructure in the ground. Some of it was subsidised by vehicle manufacturers (Nissan mostly funded the early Ecotricity Electric Highway equipment)
Charge your Car run the charging backend for many of the chargepoints that are still owned by local councils.
Those local councils set their own rates. Originally they were mostly free.
Now they've seen that they're used, the local councils, not wanting to undercut other commercial providers in the area, have been setting non-zero rated tariffs on their chargepoints. For one thing, the electricity they provide costs them money, and secondly, it'll bring a small bit of money in for the councils that might help provide more charging infrastructure.
The number of free-to-use chargepoints around is reducing as EVs become more mainsteam, but there will always be some charge points run as a loss-leader, such as as supermarkets, who have histoically been giving money-off vouchers for use at their filling stations.
So, as for the North East. I know that Northumberland have been stating for many years that their charging infrastructure was going to cost, but it's only now that it's been implemented.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I get all that... I don't have am issue with paying for rapids, I'm surprised they have been free so long (having said that I personally won't be using the battered council run ones when Instavolt is the same price and Lidl is 10p cheaper).

I was more curious to fact they all state charges from April first but they are still running for free

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
Does anyone in the North East know whats going on with Charge Youre Car? There's signs up at all the rapids now stating from the 1st of April there will be a 35p per KWH hour charge but the one I'm at right now for instance is a free vend.
There's a thread on here regarding the Fastned hubs. That conversation got derailed a little and started talking about the Northumberland network.

The original plan was to transfer everything over from CYC to the Electric Blue network. That didn't end up happening and they decided to do it themselves. All their AC posts are now replaced with Rolec points and are paid at 35p/kWh on the EVcharge.online network.

The rapids were supposed to also be 35p/kWh by now but for whatever reason it hasn't taken effect yet. I've asked the council for more information but they haven't bothered to give me any meaningful response yet. I'll be updating that thread when I hear more about it.

I don't think it can be assumed that it will remain on the CYC system though. The CYC labels have been removed from their chargers, Zap Map generally regard them as non-networked and they are totally free vend without any CYC app or card authorisation now.

I personally won't be using the battered council run ones when Instavolt is the same price
Northumberland's Council have been one of the better ones when it comes to maintaining their chargers. If they go off they tend to get repaired quickly. If you're happy to pay Instavolt prices, support the council with these if they are conveniently located for you. They've invested a lot of money and have plans to further expand, but this will only happen if they continue to be used.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for going into so much detail its appreciated. I'll look out the thread you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm sure I've seen CYC chargers gain a BP/polar/pulse sticker. Yup, here's one next to Long Eaton market square

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
I'm sure I've seen CYC chargers gain a BP/polar/pulse sticker. Yup, here's one next to Long Eaton market square
View attachment 143704
Chargemaster are giving councils the push to move from the old CYC System to the new BP Polar/Pulse system where the chargers come with a maintenance contract included. But even where they aren't taking up these new contracts they seem to be just replacing broken hardware with these ultracharge units which are Chargemaster branded as standard and then just get CYC or CPS Stickers added on. While the branding changes, the way you access them does not.

What seems to be happening in the north east though, is that rather than taking the push that BP are giving, they are terminating the charging contracts and giving them to other companies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Its all very confusing to me... I have a BP pulse card that I got from my dealer with 3months free membership which I've never used.
When I look on the BP map it lists chargers that are Charge Your Car operated but they come up as part of the BP Pulse network - with the BP membership it states that rapids are charged at 15p per kwh but if the machine is a Charge Your Card operated machine and 35p per kwh then how does that work? (Apologies if I'm being a bit slow)

Attachments

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
Ah, I see from the branding that's on the the BP Chargemaster Polar Chargeyourcar D2N2 Network.

So clearly I need my Pulse card to access it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
NE England aren't at all "joined up" with regards to this.
I'm still new but as far as I know Northumberland used to have free rapids but are soon going charged for (april 2021 but delayed).
Newcastle had no free rapids I think but many many faulty CYC fast chargers which are now all supposed to be under BP control but half of them they deny knowing anything about....a small matter that I'm in continuous discussion with them about - one near my home is faulty and they deny knowledge of it so I've offered to get a mini digger and take it off their hands, they've yet to reply haha!
I think North Tyneside ex council are Electric Blue or Hubsta, I don't venture that way much.
Gateshead still has a Rapid and a fast at the stadium but it's under BP control too and a very popular site. Never had the desire to go to S tyneside or Sunderland so don't know that area lol.

Joe

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
NE England aren't at all "joined up" with regards to this.
I'm still new but as far as I know Northumberland used to have free rapids but are soon going charged for (april 2021 but delayed).
Newcastle had no free rapids I think but many many faulty CYC fast chargers which are now all supposed to be under BP control but half of them they deny knowing anything about....a small matter that I'm in continuous discussion with them about - one near my home is faulty and they deny knowledge of it so I've offered to get a mini digger and take it off their hands, they've yet to reply haha!
I think North Tyneside ex council are Electric Blue or Hubsta, I don't venture that way much.
Gateshead still has a Rapid and a fast at the stadium but it's under BP control too and a very popular site. Never had the desire to go to S tyneside or Sunderland so don't know that area lol.

Joe
They are all under separate council control so they are free to do their own thing. I Know the North East Combined Authority did originally make a deal with Electric Blue, but I am yet to see any further progress.

-Northumberland County Council have made up their own network at this point. It's 35p/kWh for all charging. Rapid or AC. A few locations that already transferred to Electric Blue will remain with them however.
-Newcastle has Fastned rapid charging in the city. Otherwise it's the CYC AC Posts for the most part.
-Gateshead is stuck in it's transition from CYC to Electric Blue. I haven't heard any further news. They are however planning to install a Gridserve Electric Forecourt right beside the stadium too.
-North Tyneside seems to have given up in terms of council operated charging. A couple of Electric Blue and 1 Swarco E.Connect charger. Nothing else actively supported at the moment.
-South Tyneside has a mix of CYC and Swarco E.Connect
-Sunderland has Fastned and Electric Blue. CYC Have a very limited presence still but their days are numbered.
-County Durham spent lockdown ripping out every single CYC Chargepoint and replacing them with Grønn Kontakt (Currently rebranding to Mer.)

The general idea of north east charging is CYC Out, replacement network in. But after the Electric Blue deal seemed to fall through, there doesn't seem to be a very clear direction for what happens next.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
Not sure if I'm totally behind the times here, but the rapids outside the County pub in Gosforth work with a BP Pulse card now. I'm sure they didn't used to?

Only realised after a tip-off from an Uber driver!

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
Not sure if I'm totally behind the times here, but the rapids outside the County pub in Gosforth work with a BP Pulse card now. I'm sure they didn't used to?

Only realised after a tip-off from an Uber driver!
The Electric Blue ones? No but if you're still with Onto you can now use your Shell card there.

If you got a BP Pulse card to work it just means it must have lost comms and is in free vend, and just using any old RFID Card to secure your charge session.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
I can't remember if they're still EB branded or not.

Good call - may have been free vend. I didn't realise EB were on Shell Recharge either. You learn something every day!

Either way, they are often ICEd by delivery drivers for the local takeaways, and occasional old codgers drinking in the pub. An ANPR camera here would make a fortune.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, I'm trying to get to the bottom of who is responsible for commissioning 2 EB triple head chargers in the Wentworth car park in Hexham, they were installed months ago along with a substation but remain dark. A major development across the road Lidle/Travel Lodge/McD might have been the cause of the delay but the lights are now on in Lidle though the work is not finished.
Climate Northumberland advises "As far as I know, these have been installed by the North of Tyne Combined Authority who are leasing the car parking spaces from the Council.
We agree that it is frustrating that they are yet to go live."
Do you know of any other units in place but not commissioned? We will all benefit if more voices ask questions.
Cheers

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
Hi, I'm trying to get to the bottom of who is responsible for commissioning 2 EB triple head chargers in the Wentworth car park in Hexham, they were installed months ago along with a substation but remain dark. A major development across the road Lidle/Travel Lodge/McD might have been the cause of the delay but the lights are now on in Lidle though the work is not finished.
Climate Northumberland advises "As far as I know, these have been installed by the North of Tyne Combined Authority who are leasing the car parking spaces from the Council.
We agree that it is frustrating that they are yet to go live."
Do you know of any other units in place but not commissioned? We will all benefit if more voices ask questions.
Cheers
That’s just how Electric Blue are. Most of their installs will be installed but not go live for close to a year these days.

I like the network but they’re really going downhill compared to when they started.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Can the OP please amend the erroneous title of this thread to North East ENGLAND

North East UK is a London construct and simply doesn't exist.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts