Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Kia E Niro 4
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charged up my E-Niro today it stopped at 100% and was showing 255 on the GOM when I turned the car off. Later in the afternoon I went to collect the wife from her hospital appointment, turned the car on and the GOM was showing 262. I then did the 8 mile trip and after that it it was showing 258. When I collected the car a month ago it was showing 268 on a full charge, does it just pick numbers at random or is there some logic in how it calculates the figures it displays, 'cos it sure has me puzzled.

How can you have confidence when going on a journey if it is so inaccurate.

Super Moderator
It guesses based on your driving history, exterior temperature, battery temperature, climate control settings and probably some other things.

I tend to just use the % counter. I can definitely go 2 miles for each %, if I end up with %s to spare I can go faster.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
How can you have confidence when going on a journey if it is so inaccurate.
Did you ever look at the similar device in your previous ICE? :unsure: They suffer exactly the same issues but people rarely obsess about them at that level of use - if you are planning a 250+ mile trip I could understand it, but when you use it on shorter journeys just enjoy the car and top it up occasionally as you would with an ICE.

Registered
Kia E Niro 4
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's the whole point, with an EV I need to plan the journey as to likely locations to make a stop and recharge en-route, not knowing actually how far I can go makes it more difficult.

Super Moderator
So use the % times two, you won't go wrong :)

Registered
Well that's the whole point, with an EV I need to plan the journey as to likely locations to make a stop and recharge en-route, not knowing actually how far I can go makes it more difficult.
You just have to get to know how much you use for things like motorway driving. As Edd says % times 2 is a decent estimate.

If you are going somewhere you haven't been before then A Better Route Planner is quite accurate.

Registered
VW Passat GTE
How did you do it in a ICE? First car I drove had a dodgy fuel gauge that jumped about all over the place and needed tapping to give anything vaguely close to a sensible reading, and it needed refueled every 250-300 miles, so not hugely different from EVs in terms of range or gauge accuracy. Drive the car for a while, you'll get a feel for how far you can actually go between charges.

Registered
How did you do it in a ICE? First car I drove had a dodgy fuel gauge that jumped about all over the place and needed tapping to give anything vaguely close to a sensible reading, and it needed refueled every 250-300 miles, so not hugely different from EVs in terms of range or gauge accuracy. Drive the car for a while, you'll get a feel for how far you can actually go between charges.
With EVs the range is shorter and recharging takes longer, so remaining mileage does need more consideration when planning journeys. However, it really is the same principle as in an ICE. The "remaining miles" gauges in ICE vehicles are no more accurate than those in EVs, you just don't really care as much because refuelling is an ingrained activity: "oh I'm down to 1/4 tank, better find a petrol station." The reason it's always an estimate is because it based on tonnes of external factors as well as your charge (or fuel) remaining %.

Registered
VW Passat GTE
With EVs the range is shorter and recharging takes longer, so remaining mileage does need more consideration when planning journeys. However, it really is the same principle as in an ICE. The "remaining miles" gauges in ICE vehicles are no more accurate than those in EVs, you just don't really care as much because refuelling is an ingrained activity: "oh I'm down to 1/4 tank, better find a petrol station."
Please reread my post.
First car I drove had a dodgy fuel gauge that jumped about all over the place and needed tapping to give anything vaguely close to a sensible reading, and it needed refueled every 250-300 miles, so not hugely different from EVs in terms of range or gauge accuracy.
This car didn't have "remaining miles", it had bad consumption, a small fuel tank and a dodgy fuel gauge. So it was highly comparable to an EV, in terms of both range and inaccuracy. I just drove it and got a feel for how far it would go. And this was before sat navs were a thing, so you had to just go into the nearest town and drive around until you found an open petrol station to fill up. Factor that in, and a refuel could easily have added 30+ minutes onto a journey. Which isn't dissimilar to a rapid charge...

Having said that, for a while, you also had to get into that car via the window and open the boot with a piece of rope, so I'm not going to claim that it's the paragon of the automotive industry that every EV should be measured against. Just that this isn't a new problem, and fancy gauges aren't always a replacement for a little thinking.

Registered
Please reread my post.

This car didn't have "remaining miles", it had bad consumption, a small fuel tank and a dodgy fuel gauge. So it was highly comparable to an EV, in terms of both range and inaccuracy. I just drove it and got a feel for how far it would go. And this was before sat navs were a thing, so you had to just go into the nearest town and drive around until you found an open petrol station to fill up. Factor that in, and a refuel could easily have added 30+ minutes onto a journey. Which isn't dissimilar to a rapid charge...

Having said that, for a while, you also had to get into that car via the window and open the boot with a piece of rope, so I'm not going to claim that it's the paragon of the automotive industry that every EV should be measured against. Just that this isn't a new problem, and fancy gauges aren't always a replacement for a little thinking.
Yeah sorry, my post started as a reply to your post then I changed it to a more generic post but forgot to take out the quote.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts