Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Tesco in Congleton has all its chargers taped off and switched off and looking at Zap Map it appears to have happened across the contry. Any ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Apparently a customer tripped over a cable so all charge points haven been powered down pending a ‘health & safety’ review. In which case operators may as well power down every single charge point in the UK as someone could trip over a cable.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Apparently a customer tripped over a cable so all charge points haven been powered down pending a ‘health & safety’ review.
If that is true then Tesco's ability to not see it coming is quite staggering.
But I'm also not surprised at all :rolleyes:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Podpoint's own picture from their original announcement shows the issue I assume; our Tesco's is setup like this too, with a centre space hosting the chargers and adjacent spaces for EVs. Our Tesco's has plastic barriers in a square around the chargers (but they're still turned on and work at the moment); if they just put the barriers in a row along the back edge of the spaces (between the cars and the chargers in this pic) then you prevent people wanting to take a shortcut, though you can't save everyone from themselves... surely that's quick and easy enough as a temporary measure?

Reactions: Neilew

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,124 Posts
Why can't people watch where they flipping walk? Only visually impaired people have any excuse and chargepoints need to be designed so that visually impaired people aren't tripped up.

Wonder if this might lead to fixed short length type 2 cables rather than socketed posts? You'd have to park close and the cable would be waist height rather than all over the floor. Children will probably decapitate themselves instead :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wonder if this might lead to fixed short length type 2 cables rather than socketed posts? You'd have to park close and the cable would be waist height rather than all over the floor. Children will probably decapitate themselves instead :rolleyes:
And the cable would be too short for some cars and mk 1 Nissan Leaf owners wouldn't be able to use them!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’ve noticed all the PodPoint chargers near me have been on free vend for the last couple of weeks too. Wonder if it’s connected?

·
Registered
Kona 64
557 Posts
Best to have the chargers well away from the great unwashed. Helps prevent ICing if they are away from the entrance and reduces the risk of dozy motorists tripping over the cables.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I thought that the cable tripping issue was resolved by having larger EV bays with hatching around them; the hatching providing the facility to drape a cable there. Thinking about the one Tesco with charging near me, it does not have this, but other Pod Point locations did. The risk is if a non-EV user parks in an adjacent bay (or even in an EV bay) and trips over the cable right outside their car door.

But then again people really should just look where they are going - visually impaired users excepted, but a car park is dangerous for the blind regardless and a cable is likely the least of the worries.

·
Registered
Ioniq
685 Posts
But then again people really should just look where they are going
But if it's dark, and the black cable is in the shadow of a car, low down below the normal line of sight, you can't really blame someone for not seeing it. You can't do that much to prevent tripping over some transient rubbish or something that shouldn't be there in the dark, but you can do something about a cable that is there all the time.

It is a trip hazard that can and should be designed away, with better lighting, more space, barriers, cable supports, whatever. Rapids always having black cables doesn't help, why not make them a more visible colour? I've always wondered that...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tesco tends to panic over everything these days. Our local Tesco had a customer complain that cars were moving too fast in the car park so they festooned the entire area with those silly plastic suspension damaging monstrosities. I go elsewhere now, not risking my car's suspension bumping over those things.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I just walked through our local Tesco and the recently installed and only very recently powered Podpoints are off with plastic barriers in front of them.
The location and layout is pretty poor and you can see how cables would be a hazard for people going between charging cars (if there were any). This is a picture I took a few weeks ago:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can't be the only one who thinks extra wide bays or hatched markings around bay aren't really necessary? I mean I get why they do it, but the normal podpoint style post can easily live at the corner of 4 bays with a small barrier around it.

I think the main problem is placement of the bays though, we don't need them right at the front of the car park next to the shop entrance. Put them along a lesser used side where the posts can be placed behind a kerb, out of the bays entirely. I imagine this won't help them to look good and gain some 'green cred' as visibly though.

·
Registered
931 Posts
For me the fundamental problem with many car parks is the lack of walkways between the rows of parking spaces. If you walk in the 'roads' between rows of spaces you risk having a car reverse out of a space in to you, some have 'roads' with 2 way traffic so you have to watch in both direction to ensure you keep clear of cars. There are many cars that are too big for the spaces and over hang into the 'road'. Some car parks have safe walkways marked in this area but cars have to cross them to park. I can easily see why people choose to walk between the 2 rows of parked cars, at least the cars are parked and not moving. Chargers need to be placed in a part of the car park where people don't have any incentive to walk even if this means a bit more cabling and the 'green credentials' of the supermarket are less visible.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I can't be the only one who thinks extra wide bays or hatched markings around bay aren't really necessary?
They aren't really but a slightly wider bay is better. The problem in my picture above is that the normal bays aren't very wide anyway, so plugging a side ported EV in if the bays are full would be iffy. They've taken the easy option of grabbing 6 spaces and just painting out a bay in front of each of the posts, rather than reworking the whole section of the car park (which had been relined only a few months before). It's a kludge.
Another silliness is that the signs are the same the other side, with the middle one saying charging only, but those bays aren't marked as such. So people are confused by that too. I mean you could park there and charge. It's the sort of cronk implementation that will encourage the EV haters which is annoying.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts