Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
What niggles me is the series hybrid is kept quiet about by respected youtubers like fullycharged and transport evolved but as someone who has delighted in driving a BMW i3 94 rex for 2 years now, I know that more plug-in series hybrids available would completely change peoples attitude to ev and substantially increase the miles driven electric.
Totally agree. Non plug-in series hybrids should be taxed so that plug-in series hybrids are strongly preferred . But not so strong as to make it impossible for folk who have no home or street charging available.

When you see the difference between a two year old i3 with or without REx can be as little as £700 then another 60 miles of range looks like a very good deal. Contrast the price difference second hand if you wanted to jump the battery range up by another 60 miles in a pure BEV. Dual fuel flexibility goes a long way to offsetting costs with the more complex servicing and higher risk of repairs being needed.

There must be a sweet spot somewhere that offers best value for money between the size of the battery and the robustness of the range extender. More sales should easily generate more EV miles driven than limited sales of pure BEVs thus reducing CO2 emissions sooner.

My i3 94Ah REx has replaced a 24 kWh LEAF and an old petrol ICE. The result is far more miles driven annually without burning fossil fuel (at 159 g CO2 per km) and better utilisation of a battery (embodied CO2 from manufacture) than will decay anyway with time regardless of how quickly it clocks up the miles.

We have to start thinking about each car's lifetime miles per kWh of installed battery achieved if we are going to tame the monster of CO2 emissions.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My Honda is an old Hybrid it always uses the 998cc engine and assists with the electric motor, I love the wee beastie even as a CVT is can easily do 75 MPG now when this battery dies I will build a LifePo4 batter to replace it, it will be bigger and the assist to the ICE will be increased [all mods available to do this]. Is this not a better way of going forward? Scrapping and making cars is really bad for the environment and whilst you and I can maybe afford to run EVs, most cant so its going to be a long time before ICE cars disappear! Changing them to EVs would be a much better idea. I am on the DIY electric car forum and those guys really are eco warriers

·
Registered
307 Posts
Only problem of converting them is getting good BMS, fitting heating system (heat pump), plus other ancillary equipment.
They are doing them so nothing is impossible I have seen a Fiat Punto done in this country with a forklift motor worked well and gave the gent the range he wanted. I am using the same motor in my boat fingers crossed it works well for me

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
They are doing them so nothing is impossible I have seen a Fiat Punto done in this country with a forklift motor worked well and gave the gent the range he wanted. I am using the same motor in my boat fingers crossed it works well for me
Even Nissan can fit a battery and motor to a LEAF, but that is different to having a BMS that allows rapid charging reliably. Fitting heating and cooling system for the passengers and the battery is not straightforward as a replacement for an ICE.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Even Nissan can fit a battery and motor to a LEAF, but that is different to having a BMS that allows rapid charging reliably. Fitting heating and cooling system for the passengers and the battery is not straightforward as a replacement for an ICE.
Go and have a look at DIY electric car forum

·
Leaf lover
4,134 Posts
What's stopping mass adoption? Tesla haven't got the model Y into production yet.

All manufacturers when they bring out a new version of an existing popular model, do so with an expectation of it remaining popular. Not so with a new model to their range. They can have high hopes but no certainty of success.
With current new EV models there is the perception that the manufacturers simply can't make enough of them but what do we really know about their ability to supply vs the demand for the product?
With Tesla it is a whole different ball came and I suspect if even now (without a reveal of the model Y) they could take reservations.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,134 Posts
Over my motoring years the cars have become more reliable, more sophisticated in handling, comfort and performance.
Here in Maldon we have gone from maybe a dozen places to fill up with fuel and not one that I recall open all hours, to now only two large outlets at the biggest supermarkets, one each side of town. And of course you get fuel 24/7.
Are we going to get the masses forgoing that. No.
So the thing stopping mass adoption is the availability of the right variety of vehicles, at the right prices to suit the masses so they don't need to forgo what they have now.
And frankly I despair that happening without the manufacturers being forced to provide them.

I wrote to the governments transport committee some months back (5/5/18) with the suggestion we have legislation that "All new road vehicles registered from 2030 must be EV" No reply as yet but, no matter.

My point is I did not expect it to be taken seriously in view of the level of understanding at present of the transformation to us all driving electric and my feeling that something is missing from my argument this transformation is going nowhere fast unless the electric motors are in place turning the wheels of our cars.

What is that something missing from my argument?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The Government is too much under the influence of the oil industry and vested interests of the motor industry to consider much change. For example by 2021 they'll be spending 72p per head on walking & cycling provision, but £84 per head on roads for cars, compared with other countries who spend at least £20 per head on walking & cycling, despite lofty proclamations here in the UK to double the rates of cycling by 2025.

So to expect an EV revolution pushed by the Government is just unrealistic. They won't do it.

It will be solely due to the natural evolution of better and cheaper battery technology that will enable car manufacturers to produce cars at least as cheap as fossil powered equivalents, that will slowly increase the uptake of EV cars.

·
Leaf lover
4,134 Posts
What if the masses just don't get it?
What if the manufacturers just don't make them available for the masses to even think about it?

The belief seems to be that once battery price per kWh reaches a certain level a klaxon will go off and the legacy manufacturers will load up their cars with them.
My belief is that the companies that have already put the electric motors in place in their most popular models, will be best able to move the game on as battery prices drop.

·
Leaf lover
4,134 Posts
Electric motors are no way forward if they just have an ICE generator. Battery shortage and political will are key determinants.
So if Nissan want to maintain their Qashqai/Rogue model's market position should they:-
a) now make it into an EV in Series Hybrid, Plug-in Series Hybrid and BEV variants.
b) carry on as an ice model and sell a BEV variant as well.
c) carry on as an ice only until Tesla produce the Y
d) some other strategy that maintains it's popularity.

·
Leaf lover
4,134 Posts
Nissan wanting to maintain market position is different question to getting mass adoption.

Electric vehicle sales achieve new record in Norway with 45% of new cars being all-electric and 60% plug-in

Why do Norway have such a high number of EVs?
Who else but the masses purchasing EV will bring about mass adoption?
I am using the Nissan Q/R as an example of a product that is sold to the masses and companies will need to produce EV in high enough numbers and attractive enough for the masses to want to purchase them. So Nissan wanting to maintain market position is very much a question of getting mass adoption.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/dec/12/silence-shenzhen-world-first-electric-bus-fleet&ved=2ahUKEwi3tKOAtrbfAhVEzqQKHZjUCt0QjjgwAXoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0hudA77bybDTrfQpzxvX-V

"Shenzhen was able to go all-electric thanks to generous subsidies from both central and local government."

Sometimes consumer demand - gave the SUV, sometimes regulation, just as the Clean Air Act cleaned up cities after the London smogs. Norway has more EV's because of government action.

What is now needed are small competitively priced cars that are not just the high spec models. Basic cars like China is producing for themselves.

·
Leaf lover
4,134 Posts
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/dec/12/silence-shenzhen-world-first-electric-bus-fleet&ved=2ahUKEwi3tKOAtrbfAhVEzqQKHZjUCt0QjjgwAXoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0hudA77bybDTrfQpzxvX-V

"Shenzhen was able to go all-electric thanks to generous subsidies from both central and local government."

Sometimes consumer demand - gave the SUV, sometimes regulation, just as the Clean Air Act cleaned up cities after the London smogs. Norway has more EV's because of government action.

What is now needed are small competitively priced cars that are not just the high spec models. Basic cars like China is producing for themselves.
What is needed now is electric motors put in place turning the wheels of mass produced vehicles of the very types that the masses are purchasing now.
The arguments on speakev have centred around the best way forward but we are all in agreement as to what we want to see in the future, BEVs.
I don't know how big the batteries will be, how fast we will be able to charge them or how good the supporting charging infrastructure will be. But what I am certain of is that every one of those bevs will have electric motors turning the wheels.
So as the purists don't want pragmatic interim vehicles to be produced between ice and bevs, it could be argued that what's stopping mass adoption is the influence of purists.

Edit:- I could be on to something here, just suppose Carlo Ghosn has been ousted to allow Nissan to make greater progress with EVs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What if the masses just don't get it?.
That comes over as incredibly patronising.

I'm pretty certain the masses do get it. At the moment the capital investment for an EV that meets needs is a lot higher. I've never paid more than £4000 or the equivalent in € for a car and the last three have all been capable of meeting all my needs including driving to the Alps fully loaded. I don't expect my first EV to be able to do that when I eventually get one, although fortunately my GF's van is taking over that role for this year's winter holiday.

I sometimes chuckle when I see people wondering about colours available for a particular model, what the sound system is like, whether the infotainment system is as up to date as it should be, and various other quibbles. I buy second hand whatever has come up within rough parameters.

If I were still employed doing a regular commute instead of occasional work from home then I might be able to justify more CAPEX on a car. As it is I suspect when I do get one I'll be paying a very large per mile amount in capital charges, particularly as I have solar panels and currently export a fair bit..

Let's get lead times on deliveries down and cars in the showrooms before assuming anything about the "masses".

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,059 Posts
Is that based on a Smart/Renault chassis, or just a Chinese copy?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts