Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Exciting day today! After 12 months of wrangling with the supplier, the SMETS 2 smart meter we had installed last year was finally commissioned yesterday.....so it's time to switch!

Interested to hear from anyone actually using the multi-rate smart tariffs from Octopus, EDF and the like.

Looking for the cheapest overall deal (obviously!). Not bothered by customer service issues.
There are of course regional pricing differences with suppliers, but everything's relative. We're in Rutland which is classed as East Midlands in energy supplier terms.

We've a 50kW battery only EV, a 9 month old so a busy washing machine but with a programmable timer. I work from home and the missus is on Maternity until November, then principally working from home, so there's plenty of opportunity to move usage around to suit the changing wholesale prices.
The car charger isn't smart, but obviously the car's timer can be programmed.

We've also got a robotic vacuum cleaner which can work with IFTTT, Tado smart thermostats and the house/water is heated by an air source heat pump / wet underfloor heating - House temperature's set to 19 degrees / water 48 degrees all year round so the heating clicks on and off as it wants to at the mo.

The Octopus Agile tariff appeals, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to keep up with and adjust usage on the fly in practice.

It's overall cost I'm concerned about though. I hate paying energy companies anymore than I absolutely have to.

Registered
Exciting day today! After 12 months of wrangling with the supplier, the SMETS 2 smart meter we had installed last year was finally commissioned yesterday.....so it's time to switch!

Interested to hear from anyone actually using the multi-rate smart tariffs from Octopus, EDF and the like.

Looking for the cheapest overall deal (obviously!). Not bothered by customer service issues.
There are of course regional pricing differences with suppliers, but everything's relative. We're in Rutland which is classed as East Midlands in energy supplier terms.

We've a 50kW battery only EV, a 9 month old so a busy washing machine but with a programmable timer. I work from home and the missus is on Maternity until November, then principally working from home, so there's plenty of opportunity to move usage around to suit the changing wholesale prices.
The car charger isn't smart, but obviously the car's timer can be programmed.

We've also got a robotic vacuum cleaner which can work with IFTTT, Tado smart thermostats and the house/water is heated by an air source heat pump / wet underfloor heating - House temperature's set to 19 degrees / water 48 degrees all year round so the heating clicks on and off as it wants to at the mo.

The Octopus Agile tariff appeals, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to keep up with and adjust usage on the fly in practice.

It's overall cost I'm concerned about though. I hate paying energy companies anymore than I absolutely have to.
Maybe you could show loyalty to the supplier that has provided the SMETS2 meter.

Just kidding of course馃槣

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe you could show loyalty to the supplier that has provided the SMETS2 meter.

Just kidding of course馃槣
....To the supplier who couldn't connect the meter they fitted for 12 months and still can't connect their own smart meters to their own smart tariffs. Yes, you are "kidding" 馃檮

Registered
I've recently joined the Octopus Agile tariff and so far am pretty happy with it. I see it as a challenge to switch off almost everything between 4 & 7pm; if you can't do that Agile isn't for you.

Suspect that prices this month aren't representative of a normal winter ! At the moment I'm paying around 7ppu for most of the day but 20+ ppu in the afternoon peak (and of course there's the occasional 'plunge' event). My most recent E7 tariff was 14ppu in day & 9ppu overnight so very happy with change. If (when ?) daytime prices shoot up in winter it's an option to switch to 'Go' where prices are 5ppu for a 4 hour offpeak period and 13ppu for rest of day

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
I see it as a challenge to switch off almost everything between 4 & 7pm; if you can't do that Agile isn't for you.
I'd disagree with that, at least at current prices and for our usage.
In the last week we have saved 56% compared to the standard tariff (Octopus Watch app) and we have still been using the electric oven at peak times.
For us the lower off peak rates have more than offset the peak afternoon rates.
If I were still doing my 80 miles a day commute in my Ioniq that percentage saving would be quite a bit more.

jim5452
<<<I see it as a challenge to switch off almost everything between 4 & 7pm; if you can't do that Agile isn't for you>>>>

Even if you just ignored the peak you will find it quite reasonable, but I dont think it is that much trouble to reduce the impact of the peak charges.
There are also GO with 0:30 to 4:30 low tariff and GO FASTER tariff which has variable low tariff and times which you can select, I have no experience with this TARIFF but some posters seem quite pleased with it, I do believe there is a thread on here somewhere for GO FASTER

Registered
I like the idea of Octopus and Bulb, but I still a tad old fashioned.

My current Dual Energy Supplier is Shell and my fixed term contract is about to end. They have a new EV tariff which effectively give you the equivalent of 2000 miles of electricity for free.

I was tempted, but the EDF tariff is better as it offers 10hrs a day (5days a week) and all weekend Off Peak.

When my annual consumption was calculated, it betters Shell by some way.

So I've swapped to them. It works for me, but I don't doubt others will offer a good case for their suppliers.

Registered
I've recently joined the Octopus Agile tariff and so far am pretty happy with it. I see it as a challenge to switch off almost everything between 4 & 7pm; if you can't do that Agile isn't for you.

Suspect that prices this month aren't representative of a normal winter ! At the moment I'm paying around 7ppu for most of the day but 20+ ppu in the afternoon peak (and of course there's the occasional 'plunge' event). My most recent E7 tariff was 14ppu in day & 9ppu overnight so very happy with change. If (when ?) daytime prices shoot up in winter it's an option to switch to 'Go' where prices are 5ppu for a 4 hour offpeak period and 13ppu for rest of day
I've been keeping an eye on Octopus Agile as the prices have been coming down and especially the 4 - 7 pm peak rate. I've averaged 7ppu on GO for my electricity over the last 5 months so the Go & Agile tariff are reaching some parity. I still currently prefer the Go tariff with the fixed window for charging my EV but suspect Agile will continue to cheapen. For my dad sat at home all day the Agile tariff should suit him and will switch him as soon as SMETS2 installations start up again.

Registered
There really is only one answer - Octopus Agile. We're a pefectly average one EV household and in the past month our average rate per unit has been 2.53p. With a 21p per day standing charge. We have avoided using washing machine, dishwasher and charging car between 4-7pm (no hardship) - but if we fancy a roast dinner, the oven goes on, whatever time it is. It doesn't need to be difficult and it's cut our bill relative to a standard rate tariff to about a quarter of what it was.

Without fancy tech (solar, batteries etc) I can't see how any other supplier could be anywhere near this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the replies.
Just switched us to Octopus Agile. Someone here's just made 拢50馃挵
Fingers crossed our new SMETS 2 meter can give them the half hourly readings they need 馃

Premium Member
Fingers crossed our new SMETS 2 meter can give them the half hourly readings they need 馃
Great. We have done very well since we switched from Go to Agile and hopefully work for you too, but you can always switch to Go if you can't stop people using stuff between 4pm and 7pm :)

Registered
Just in case the PM didn't come through...hope the smart meter works without any hassle - however, if there is any delay, ask Octopus to put you on the Tracker tariff. They don't seem to advertise this much (wonder why...) but it tracks the wholesale price of energy using an assumed average time of day consumption profile. That means you won't get the full benefit of time shifting usage, but it is still really cheap - averaging about 8-9p/kWh at the moment I think depending on your area of the country. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but it means you still get benefit from switching even whilst any meter issues are resolved.

Registered
I swapped to Agile tariff from Bulb and previously OVO. my monthly bill is half of OVO economy 7. But we have supper at 7:30 so usually cook after 7:00 and for best value keep an eye out for the weather forecast. Windy and sunny weather has an impact on prices, this coming weekend is looking promising for early Sunday morning. Run the car down to empty for Saturday pm!
There aren鈥檛 too many new wind farms coming to fruition at present but by mid 2022 we could see another 4 GWh on stream which will help produce more negative prices.

Registered
As everybody else has said Octopus Agile is very good, provided you can get a working Smart Meter installed. Does not take long to work out to avoid the 1600-1900 time slot otherwise you can pretty much assume that it will be cheaper, especially if you an EV.

PS. Nobody uses my referral link so nothing in it for me !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts