Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

The best way to make and market EVs to the masses is:

• Produce and sell plugin versions of existing vehicles

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Produce and sell unique plugin models, based on existing vehicle platforms

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Produce and sell unique plugin models, entirely unique but within existing brands

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Produce and sell plugins under a dedicated brand/sub-brand

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as the motor industry doesn't seem to agree, I'm sure a bunch of folk on the internet such as ourselves can set the world straight on this.

What do you think the best strategy is for making and marketing EVs? No facts required, just opinions really, although facts can help support your views. ;) :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Personally, I like the fact that the Leaf is a unique design, even if I would never call it pretty.
But for mass adoption, I think using existing models is the way forward - look at the apparent success of the Outlander - but they have to be priced competitively. VW's Up would sell bucket loads, I believe, if it was priced closer to the petrol version .

Reactions: richardglover

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
And I like the design of the Zoe - similar looks to the new Clio, but unique enough. I still drive down the motorway hoping to spot another Zoe....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Plug in versions of existing models don't have extra room for a big enough battery plus charger etc. (as well as the ICE) without stealing almost all the space for luggage & an extra person. Lotus/Tesla Roadster is a good example of the problem. Battery in the centre underneath means a new design is necessary... Separate model badging helps differentiate the more expensive product.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Plug in versions of existing models don't have extra room for a big enough battery plus charger etc. (as well as the ICE) without stealing almost all the space for luggage & an extra person. Lotus/Tesla Roadster is a good example of the problem. Battery in the centre underneath means a new design is necessary...
If they are designed from the outset with the knowledge that both types of powertrain are required then it can be done without impacting on interior space. The VW UP and Golf are both good examples of that.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The missing option is: Produce plugin cars that are priced competitively with petrol and diesel cars.

Easier said than done for mass market cars, of course.

·
Leaf lover
4,445 Posts
Tesla have shown way albeit that Elon Musk is understandably producing the cars he likes but his marketing breaks the mould.
I liked the way Nissan launched the Leaf. Here is our new car, what colour would you like? Not so clever now but VW have started that way with the E-up just spoilt the launch with the silly price.
Tesco's new boss should sell ev. Buy one, get one free.
Rapid charging whilst you shop. Every little helps.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Probably at a stage now where I can put this into the public domain.....

Indra did some market research some time ago. The results are basically what has been discussed in this thread. We now have a project (currently in development) which aims to produce an ev (medium sized hatchback) for very similar pricing to ice alternatives - we're aiming for £15k before incentives for the base model.

Other than price, our main aim is to have everything as 'open source' as possible without compromising safety. This should drive third parties to develop stuff and create a market for add on extras.

The idea is for everything to be configurable. Battery size, power output, charger, chademo/ccs, touch screens, radio etc. Start with the base model and add on what you want.

·
Leaf lover
4,445 Posts
Probably at a stage now where I can put this into the public domain.....

Indra did some market research some time ago. The results are basically what has been discussed in this thread. We now have a project (currently in development) which aims to produce an ev (medium sized hatchback) for very similar pricing to ice alternatives - we're aiming for £15k before incentives for the base model.

Other than price, our main aim is to have everything as 'open source' as possible without compromising safety. This should drive third parties to develop stuff and create a market for add on extras.

The idea is for everything to be configurable. Battery size, power output, charger, chademo/ccs, touch screens, radio etc. Start with the base model and add on what you want.
Started reading this last evening just to be called away and this morning trying to locate again had me wondering if I had dreamed it.
This sounds like breaking news.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Started reading this last evening just to be called away and this morning trying to locate again had me wondering if I had dreamed it.
This sounds like breaking news.
Its a big strp forward for us.

Not quote breaking news just yet!

We're trying to listen to what people actually want :)

·
Leaf lover
4,445 Posts
Want do we want?
A Fiesta 400
That is a Ford Fiesta with a Four hundred mile range.
Obviously all I am naming is the UK’s top selling car and putting what considered a long journey to do before really needing a break.
It will happen one day. My guess is before 2020

·
Super Moderator
11,727 Posts
What do you think the best strategy is for making and marketing EVs?
The best sales strategy is Tesla's take on the Apple model.

Design and manufacture? Several approaches have been successful. With others it is too early to tell.

Let's examine the current market:

Nissan-Renault
In terms of sheer unit numbers Nissan is far ahead. Their car is a unique plug-in built on plug-in platform derived from existing an existing ICE platform and built mostly from the corporate parts bin.

I expect the next-generation Leaf to be on a CMF platform. ---> http://blog.alliance-renault-nissan.com/blog/beyond-platform-sharing-alliances-new-approach-commonization

The next Leaf will be more like an existing Nissan ICE car. Think Zoe and Clio. In the Leaf and Zoe price range there is too much economy of scale to do otherwise.

BMW

The successful i3 design ticks the boxes that came out of their focus groups. This is a big change for BMW, who traditionally used form follows function. The i3 is form follows focus. The car itself is a 100% new platform with very few shared components. Someone said the steering rack is from MINI but I'm not sure if that is true.

BMW is building more in-house than anyone else except maybe Tesla. It is interesting that two of the smallest serious players are the ones building the most of the parts.

VW

Build EVs on an existing platform that was always intended to be EV capable. The UP and Golf are decent cars, so the EVs should be too. On paper, the EVs are too expensive but that is true of most VWs.

Mercedes

How many people here know that Mercedes have been selling a pure EV van for years? Well they do. It is expensive, has limited range, and needs 3-phase power to charge. Obvious looser here. I think MB learned a lesson.

The B Electric Drive is an interesting set of design choices. Like VW, they intended the platform to always have an EV version.

They brought in Tesla for the design. The result is a Tesla in a B Klasse body. It is heavy with a big battery pack. The car is a watt guzzler. That probably doesn't matter since electricity is relatively cheap. MB is very popular with some demographics. in the US. I'm sure they will sell some in California. Way too early to tell if this one will do well.

Tesla

The current car is good but very expensive. At $100,000 a unit, they can afford decisions that won't work on a $30,000 car.

Their big challenge will be making a profit on a good $35,000 car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts