Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014, Vauxhall Ampera
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen an Ampera for sale which doesn't have an MOT, it appears to have been standing for a couple of years.

Assuming I don't have to replace the petrol engine, what's the most likely worst-case failure and what would the fix cost me?

Will the batteries be OK after standing for a period? If not OK, what's the likely cost of fixing them?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
If the battery is in trouble then the usual advice is forget it. The cars when stored need changing occasionally. This is why there was a fire sale in 2014 I think as it was costing to store, move and charge them.
If you can see it and charge then drive you might be able to judge where the battery has got to.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For me it’s the possibility that a fault might take a while to resolve. I need my car for work and have looked seriously at getting back in to an Ampera then been put off by the patchy dealer support. HEVRA network has possibly compensated for this by now.
Otherwise forum sentiment seems to indicate they are mechanically holding up really well (particularly if mostly driven on battery) with some falling foul of electrical / software glitches.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Recommissioning an Ampera is not a simple task, just like any normal car you will need to change all of the fluids, some of the rubber components will need to be replaced as will brake disks and pads,no idea what the battery situation will be, it's a balnk cheque situation you have no idea of the final bill, so whatever you could buy it for will be too much.
Better to buy a running example, as long as the service history is there then miles are not a problem many Volts in the US run beyond 200K miles.

·
Registered
2014, Vauxhall Ampera
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did they say why the car was parked up ?
There’s usually seriously something wrong not to keep using one of these cars.
Apparently, he has another car to use so it hasn't moved for about 2 years. It hadn't done much mileage before that either only around 25K on a 14 plate.
It was totally dead when I looked at it so no idea of what needed doing. I'm assuming the petrol engine with that sort of mileage is likely to be readily fixable. I just have no idea of what the likely cost of the battery side would be. The main problem is he seems to think it's worth £7K as it stands.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Apparently, he has another car to use so it hasn't moved for about 2 years. It hadn't done much mileage before that either only around 25K on a 14 plate.
It was totally dead when I looked at it so no idea of what needed doing. I'm assuming the petrol engine with that sort of mileage is likely to be readily fixable. I just have no idea of what the likely cost of the battery side would be. The main problem is he seems to think it's worth £7K as it stands.
7k 😂.

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
202 Posts
The main problem is he seems to think it's worth £7K as it stands.
It's not. The low mileage would have been a bonus in the form of remaining HV component warranty, but unless it has been regularly serviced whilst not being used it is probably unenforceable.

I paid not much more than that that for mine with full service history, MOT and an owner who'd obviously loved it for the past 3 years. I still took the view that it was a gamble and I might have to write it all off.

There are plenty around at more reasonable levels of risk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts