Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this so excuse me if being a dinny!

When using public charge points I feel my cable is a bit exposed to theft / vandalism especially if leaving overnight. I understand the charge points locks your cable in at that end (is that right?) but seems to me anyone could easily unplug from the car?

What's your experience..?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Never been unplugged but I'm sure it'll happen one day...

The Ampera has option to sound alarm if the car is unplugged, but if the charger is unplugged nothing will happen. (OVMS could be configured to send alerts on power loss if not fully charged)

If I'm leaving the car overnight in an unfamiliar area I roll the car forward so a wheel is on the cable.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yes I notice that the standard charge cable with the box and 13A plug on it appears to have a hole for a padlock at the car end which stops the release button being pressed but my type 2 to type 1 cable (which the previous owner bought and I think is a Vauxhall one) doesn't seem to.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
In 46k miles and 3 years of EV driving I have never had it unplugged but I have heard of others that have but it doesn't happen very often.

For now I am not being concerned. I don't use the alarm on the Ampera as it annoying if I forget to turn it off before unplugging (!). If it starts to look like it might become an issue then I shall reconsider but for now then I don't padlock and I don't use the alarm.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Didn't it once happen to you while staying at a hotel? You were thankful that you were in the Ampera rather than the Leaf.

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
If I'm leaving the car overnight in an unfamiliar area I roll the car forward so a wheel is on the cable.
All of the info I have read says not to park on the cable as it eventually damage it.
We have been unpluged in Milton Keynes but we always push a loop of cable through the spoke of the wheel, pull it back onto the incoming cable and padlock the three bits together.

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts

When using public charge points I feel my cable is a bit exposed to theft / vandalism especially if leaving overnight. I understand the charge points locks your cable in at that end (is that right?) but seems to me anyone could easily unplug from the car?

It happened to one of our drivers... they were plugged in at a public charge post in central London and someone managed to pull out the cable at the charge post end,which everyone says is near impossible! Whoever did this leveraged themselves against the car leaving a dent and an unusable cable! And here's a photo of the mangled cable!
Auto part Technology Electrical supply Electronic device Electronics accessory

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Reading this thread surprised me. I thought all cars would lock the cable when inserted like the Zoe does. Surely this is the way forward?
If one manufacturer has developed this, the rest will soon follow.
My Zoe is often left charging in dodgy looking car parks and on street corners ( forgive the slightly smug feeling post..).

Reactions: EV Rider

·
Registered
245 Posts

Hi my lead was purchased E/V connectors and it has an eye in the car plug trigger so I put a little brass padlock on it so they cant unplug it from the car without the key.

·
Registered
128 Posts
most (all?) cables have this feature but in reality it isn't needed in the latest cars because they lock the connector in the car when in use :)
In don't think this applies to Ampera as the cable can be removed from the car and as long as its activated, the alarm will then sound if the car is locked to warm of "interference"

Big Paul

·
Registered
161 Posts
most (all?) cables have this feature but in reality it isn't needed in the latest cars because they lock the connector in the car when in use :)
I don't think it is possible for a car to lock a type 1 cable whilst charging. It's only type 2 and CCS cables that can be lock car side.

however please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts