Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 21 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so confused... I walked by my local VW dealership today and they have ID.3s for like £7,000+ off list price! Why are they giving them away? Do we expect VW to continue offering those sorts of discounts or is this a "snap 'em up before they're gone" kinda thing?

I have a lease on an e-Golf at the moment that ends in the summer, but if these ID.3 discounts are just a temporary thing, I really might consider paying the settlement fee to send the Golf back early so I can take advantage of the deals! I mean, will probably cost me a grand or so to cancel the lease, but if ID.3s will be a lot closer to list price in the summer it may still be worth thinking about!

Though I am a bit put off that it only has front speakers on the lower trim levels apparently. I can't for the life of me understand what that's about... is this the 1970s? :p For that kind of money, I'd be expecting loads of speakers including a subwoofer!

·
Registered
225 Posts
There were some very good deals on ID3s up until the end of December, the suspicion being VW to sell as many as possible as it would reduced the EU CO2 fine they’d have to pay. The best deals now seem to be on pre-reg cars that could be added to VW’s ‘sales’ figures up until the end of last month. Otherwise the deals aren’t quite as good as they were

As for that ‘£7,000 off’ advert, a few people ‘saved’ as much as £9,000 on 1st Editions at the end of last year. The ‘saving’ on the ID3 Tour I’ve got on order was just over £7,500.

Unless it’s incredibly unusual (and I bet it isn’t), that £7,000 will include the £3,000 PICG and £1,750 (was £2,500) PCP deposit contribution. So really the discount is £2,250. Decent, but hardly earth shattering.

That is correct about lower trims only having front speakers. Does seem an odd way to fry and cut costs, can’t really make that much of a difference. Tech, Max and Tour have speakers in the back.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
2021 CO2 fleet emmision rules are even worse for VAG: lower limit and no super credits. They still need to sell all 300k of ID.3 and probably every other EV they can manufacture (e.g. MG).

Edit: I don't think it is confirmed yet, but VAG failed in 2020, so...fines are incoming

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohhh... I’ve been conned by the PICG trick perhaps then! I need to look at this in more detail next time I’m sat at my computer. Looks like they still had 1st Editions available, which seems fairly well spec’d. £31,950 for the 1st Edition... no mention of having to get PCP, but maybe that’s in the small print.

I guess if they’ll be hard pressed to avoid more fines in 2021, maybe the low pricing is here to stay, so no harm in waiting. On the other hand, I guess leftover 1st Editions aren’t necessarily here to stay, so may have to pay a bit more to get good equipment levels when they run out.

Does the 1st Edition have rear speakers? I can’t see anywhere it says that it does, but I’m on my phone at the moment so I may just be missing it...

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
1dt doesn't have rear speakers, it's the top 3 models only.
Price wise you want to be aiming for £30k or under, someone posted they bought one for under £29k but I don't think there were many at that price.

I was told VW registered all the EVs they could at the end of the year hence so many pre-reg ID3s on autotrader at the moment

·
Registered
225 Posts
No wireless charging in the 1st either. You do gain 19” alloys though.

Worth comparing it to some of the other trims to see what you gain / lose compared to the 1st.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
543 Posts
I'm so confused... I walked by my local VW dealership today and they have ID.3s for like £7,000+ off list price! Why are they giving them away? Do we expect VW to continue offering those sorts of discounts or is this a "snap 'em up before they're gone" kinda thing?

I have a lease on an e-Golf at the moment that ends in the summer, but if these ID.3 discounts are just a temporary thing, I really might consider paying the settlement fee to send the Golf back early so I can take advantage of the deals! I mean, will probably cost me a grand or so to cancel the lease, but if ID.3s will be a lot closer to list price in the summer it may still be worth thinking about!

Though I am a bit put off that it only has front speakers on the lower trim levels apparently. I can't for the life of me understand what that's about... is this the 1970s? :p For that kind of money, I'd be expecting loads of speakers including a subwoofer!
One things for sure - you're going to be a bit pissed if you were one of the loyal excited first buyers who paid full whack. Especially if you bought it outright instead of leasing it, as all these huge discounts are not going to do much for the 3 year residuals.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Family spec for £30,450, which looks like it has most of the 1st Edition stuff, and maybe has wireless charging? Can’t see it written specifically anywhere that it does mind you.

The whole speaker situation pains me though, I must admit it. I’m a music lover, and rubbish sound quality is not something I’ll be happy with. Ideally I guess I’d test one and see how bad the stereo sounds, but such things obviously hard to do at the moment in lockdown! Maybe there are aftermarket 3rd party speaker upgrade options...?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on how long they are discounted for. If it's only until the software is sorted and then prices are back to full price then it's unlikely to affect anything longer term.
Do we think that’s the case? I really might seriously consider getting one if this pricing is unusually low. On the other hand, if it’s likely to stay this low I’d be better off waiting. I suppose hard to know unless anyone happens to have some kind of telepathic link to the brains of the VW bosses!

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Family spec for £30,450, which looks like it has most of the 1st Edition stuff, and maybe has wireless charging? Can’t see it written specifically anywhere that it does mind you.

The whole speaker situation pains me though, I must admit it. I’m a music lover, and rubbish sound quality is not something I’ll be happy with. Ideally I guess I’d test one and see how bad the stereo sounds, but such things obviously hard to do at the moment in lockdown! Maybe there are aftermarket 3rd party speaker upgrade options...?
It will have wireless charging but doesn't have alloy wheels as standard.
The family would have been my choice as it has everything the first does apart from the alloys. It also has the panoramic roof.

There were familys on autotrader in the standard grey without alloys for under £30k as well as a few 1sts when I looked a few days ago. There were also more being added to AT as the number listed has gone up steadily since the new year.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
The whole speaker situation pains me though, I must admit it. I’m a music lover, and rubbish sound quality is not something I’ll be happy with. Ideally I guess I’d test one and see how bad the stereo sounds, but such things obviously hard to do at the moment in lockdown! Maybe there are aftermarket 3rd party speaker upgrade options...
You should try and listen to one, it’s nowhere near as ‘bad’ as you might think. It’s still a 5 speaker system, it’s just all in the front. 2 x door speakers, 2 x A pillar tweeters and the centre dash speaker.

You can retrofit rear speakers, but I won’t bother, it’s fine for me. My home hi-fi only has two speakers (ok, technically four if you count the tweeter in each one) and that suits me.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Do we think that’s the case? I really might seriously consider getting one if this pricing is unusually low. On the other hand, if it’s likely to stay this low I’d be better off waiting. I suppose hard to know unless anyone happens to have some kind of telepathic link to the brains of the VW bosses!
I don't expect even VW know.
If sales increase so they don't need to discount they won't.
I expect that once we are fully out of lock down and mileages increase car sales will increase but who knows. I also expect sales to increase once the software is sorted, but that may take a while.

I've bought one thinking it's as good a price as I'm going to get so I'll get one while I can. If its still like this in a years time I'll be disappointed, but also know the price was good and I've enjoyed the car for the year as well.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts

Have a base-spec Family.

Yes to wireless charging.

Sound is good, media off USB will play FLAC. Don't expect hi-fi quality - perfectly good for a car.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
I miss the rear speakers as I like the sound all around me and shift the sound slightly to the rear at times.
What's there sounds the same or better than the standard e-Golf.
I'd like to add rear speakers but there's not an option I've seen in the UK yet. If I lived in Germany I be the guinea pig for the company that's been linked to on the forum.

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
186 Posts
Worth also noting that so far the TECH, MAX and TOUR specs also have the all important Subwoofer as well as rear speakers and so far have not been available in the UK as Pre-Registered vehicles. They have been factory order only.

FO deals have not been quite as good as pre-reg and 1st ED deals. This may change in the next few weeks though as TECH and MAX editions start to be delivered to the UK and later in the year when TOUR starts being delivered.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There were some very good deals on ID3s up until the end of December, the suspicion being VW to sell as many as possible as it would reduced the EU CO2 fine they’d have to pay. The best deals now seem to be on pre-reg cars that could be added to VW’s ‘sales’ figures up until the end of last month. Otherwise the deals aren’t quite as good as they were.
The CO2 reason was exactly what my dealer told me was the reason for discounts. I had my name down for a Life which wasn't arriving until 2021 but they called me with an offer for a 1st edition they had in stock and as long as I bought it in 2020 I got the sort of discounts mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Because they are damaged goods

1 - 21 of 144 Posts