Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched a utube video of Bjorn Nyland
Charging a Model 3 SR+ at 170kw on a ionity charger and the Cell temperature was up to around 54.8c.

I have seen my 40kw Zoe Q90 around 30c - 34c in the summer.
What's the highest you have seen

Reactions: Mo1

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hottest I've ever seen was 34c after several rapid charges on a particularly busy driving day in November, ambient was -2c !

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,405 Posts
My mate Harm, who pushed his Q210 all the way up to the Nordkapp reported far into the 40's, and the battery still taking the full 40+ kW at close to 90% SOC. Those 22 kWh batteries seem to be build like a tank.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Just watched a utube video of Bjorn Nyland
Charging a Model 3 SR+ at 170kw on a ionity charger and the Cell temperature was up to around 54.8c.

I have seen my 40kw Zoe Q90 around 30c - 34c in the summer.
What's the highest you have seen
Just back from Manchester, below is screenshot during third charge, 37 degrees, but check the range (corrected itself after a few mins)

Screenshot_20200107-115524.png

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,405 Posts
Slightly OT: the "fail" in the Debug line should not happen too often. Please make sure in settings "Use ISOTP fields" is on when using standard ELM style dongles.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yeah, think I caught that screenshot at a rare moment as I have only seen the "wish that range was correct" prediction once before.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My mate Harm, who pushed his Q210 all the way up to the Nordkapp reported far into the 40's, and the battery still taking the full 40+ kW at close to 90% SOC. Those 22 kWh batteries seem to be build like a tank.
Possibly because of all the cooling space around the cells? After all, they squeezed almost double the capacity into the same space for the 40kWh!

It does make me wonder how the 50kWh will hold up, even with a newer battery chemistry...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
On the way back from Derby in the summer of 2018 I got 46c at the end of my rapid charge at Southwaite Services. Rapid charged at Hamilton services and it dropped to 42c. Ambient temperature was 28c. The fans even came on when I got home and granny charged to 100%.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok, I drove up this morning in my Q90 from Manchester to my home just outside Glasgow. It was -1c when i left. First stop was at Burton in Kendal on the M6 where it was -5c. So after 70 odd miles at 70 mph it was down to 31% after starting 90%. Battery temp was around low 20c. Rapid charged....temperature shot up tp 30c, then hammered it at ~75mph to Todhills on M6. Temperature dropped down to mid 20c. Ambient temp was -3c so rapid charged tp 80%. Battery temperature was low 30c. Another 70 miles later I charged in Kilmarnock. Got 17kwh in 32 mins.

At no point did the cooling come on or the fans start. These pics are just before I left Kilmarnock. The point I am making here is that if you want to cover 250 miles rapidly in WINTER in a Zoe...then hammer it otherwise it will be really slow to charge. I reckon that is what Bjorn Nyland suffered repeatedly in the ZE50. #COLDGATE I believe is ther term.. In my case you can see that I am still getting 23kw at nearly 70% as the battery is warm...and happy ?

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ok, I drove up this morning in my Q90 from Manchester to my home just outside Glasgow. It was -1c when i left. First stop was at Burton in Kendal on the M6 where it was -5c. So after 70 odd miles at 70 mph it was down to 31% after starting 90%. Battery temp was around low 20c. Rapid charged....temperature shot up tp 30c, then hammered it at ~75mph to Todhills on M6. Temperature dropped down to mid 20c. Ambient temp was -3c so rapid charged tp 80%. Battery temperature was low 30c. Another 70 miles later I charged in Kilmarnock. Got 17kwh in 32 mins.

At no point did the cooling come on or the fans start. These pics are just before I left Kilmarnock. The point I am making here is that if you want to cover 250 miles rapidly in WINTER in a Zoe...then hammer it otherwise it will be really slow to charge. I reckon that is what Bjorn Nyland suffered repeatedly in the ZE50. #COLDGATE I believe is ther term.. In my case you can see that I am still getting 23kw at nearly 70% as the battery is warm...and happy ?
So what your saying is that Q90's prefer cold weather now?! ? It's great when it works out like this.

I've found that pressing the ECO button prior to starting a 43kW charge allows the battery to get hotter (and continue charging faster for longer).

I'd assume this 'trick' isn't good for the battery health but if you're in desperate need of a quicker charge for whatever reason it's useful to remember.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually, @Plugger1, I am saying that the Q90's battery is a pain to warm up in winter. I've seen me drive in winter 110 miles at 60 mph with ECO on and the battery temp be at 17c when I plugged into the rapid at Southwaite services...and it take on only 15kwh in a 45 minute session because the battery is too cool (I have not observed ECO having any charge effect). I find that summer cruising at 60 mph is great for a warm battery but winter driving you need to hammer it, at least in the first sprint.

Two things I forgot to say about today's run was , firstly, that I had ECO off, and turned the preheat on during the charges just to keep warm. Secondly, my miles per kwh efficiency actually improved. My first stint of 70 miles with cold battery I struggled to get 3 mpkwh on the relatively flat part of the journey, pic agttached. After that I was easily into low 3 mpkwh despite travelling tbrough Cumbria and the Southern Uplands. Admittedly it was dry with little wind...but it was so cold (-5c) that the drive actually brought the battery temperature down ?

The Zoe seems to have the opposite problem to the Nissan Leaf, it can keep cool in high summer but struggles to warm up in winter unless you deliberately stress it like I do. As for battery health, I rent it so do not really care too much, but I am on 25k miles with 95% SOH. And that is with the vast majority of my charges being rapid charges on the motorway......the battery will out last the car I suspect. And I do like my Zoe.

A quick, hopefully controversial, comment on the ZE50...I am not getting one as I see no reason to upgrade. If it had 100kw charging and a less conservative charge curve then I would be tempted (lack of key fob preheat ability aside), but from what I have seen in the videos the only advantage it brings is CCS. I do not think, even with the extra range, that it is worth spending tens of thousands of pounds on. For CCS I would rather go for something that gives a distinct charge time advantage over my Q90. For me, that is not the ZE50.

A special shout out for @yoh-there without the CanZE app, I would still be one of the many Zoe owners who did not understand battery charging chemistry and temperature dependency, and would be doomed forever to complain about rapid charger station speeds. Thank you sir, and to the other contributors, for an excellent free app.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
For me the New Zoe is only missing 3 things :

1, Adaptive cruise control
2, Battery Temperature monitor *
3, key fob preheat ability

*Looks like i need a Phone Mount so on some trips so i can monitor the battery temp better with CanZe ?

Reactions: Mo1
1 - 15 of 15 Posts