Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in how much range people get when rapid charging. Here's why.

Last weekend, I had to do a 300 mile round trip journey over a two day period. My EV is a Peugeot iOn. Its total range is normally around 60 miles when I'm driving in town and up to 75 miles when driving cross country.

Motorways and dual carriageways kill the iOn's range. I use minor roads cross-country to keep within its best economical speed range, which seems to be 35-50mph (55-80kph).

When you're doing 150 miles with a car that often can't do much more than 60 miles in a full charge, you become very keen on knowing where your next rapid charger is. On my trip, I was assuming a range of 60 and giving myself a safety margin of 10 miles. That meant I was using a Rapid every 50 miles or about every 70-80 minutes. Sometimes the best choice was only 30-40 miles away, so charges were quick. Thank you, Zap-Map.

The iOn can use Chademo chargers. Its small 14.5kwh battery charges from low to 80% in about 15-25 mins. It occurred to me that for this sort of thing, a car's rapid range is more important than its fully charged range. On a longish run, you just want to charge and keep moving.

At some point, I aim to get an EV that's more capable on longer journeys. Do other EVs charge beyond 80%? How much range do you get on a rapid (Chademo or other)? Please tell.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
Some do some don't. I wish the soul charged up higher in one session as with the margin you have to leave in the bottom of the battery and the reduction with rapid charging to just over 80% you have a very small window of miles. It becomes useless quite quickly. From 100% charge you have an easy 70-75 miles. From 80% it's an uncertain 60 really.

That's the one advantage of the zoe. It has only AC charging and it goes to full every time. If you have the 43Kw version then it's even easier as you have the fastest charge speed and the least amount of reduction in range (I'm assuming they can charge to 100% at higher rates....)

·
Super Moderator
11,438 Posts
LEAF will go to 100% on a Rapid but last few percent take a long time.

If I need the extra couple of miles, I'll charge it for 45 minutes which usally gets the car into the high 90's.

·
Registered
673 Posts
LEAF will go to 100% on a Rapid but last few percent take a long time.

If I need the extra couple of miles, I'll charge it for 45 minutes which usally gets the car into the high 90's.
My i3 94 is the same, will run right up to around 95% in around 45 to 50 mins before it really slows down on charge rate which is enough to do around 130 miles to empty, depending on my right foot of course (y)
The other day it went from 23% to 90% in 35 mins, just enough time to catch up on emails b4 getting going again :)
R..

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
My i3 94 is the same, will run right up to around 95% in around 45 to 50 mins before it really slows down on charge rate which is enough to do around 130 miles to empty, depending on my right foot of course (y)
The other day it went from 23% to 90% in 35 mins, just enough time to catch up on emails b4 getting going again :)
R..
Pretty similar for the i3 Rex 94ah. 6% Rex to 95% in 45 mins, to 99.5% in 55 mins, 100% in about 1 hr 10 mins. on a 50kw CCS Rapid. at the moment 94% use (100% to 6% Rex is around 120 miles). So on a 45 min rapid charge would at least get 110 miles.

·
Registered
786 Posts
With my 22kWh Zoe with 43kW charging I can do about 95 miles on the motorway at 56 to 60mph from a full battery in the summer so I can get from West London to Leigh Delaware services with about 7 miles range left. Charging from that point, about 7% or so charge remaining I can then get about 80 miles at the same speed. In winter it's not so good, probably 70 miles when starting at 100%. The battery starts cold and doesn't hold as much charge, but when I get to the charger it's presumably warmed up and will hold a bit more so I get a similar range after the 30 minute rapid charge.

I haven't had the Battery Management System (BMS) software updated yet so the car tends to over estimate the charge in the battery when on the rapid charger and it drops back by a few % in the first few miles of driving following a charge that didn't get to 100%. This means that the reported charge state when charging is stopped is inaccurate.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
My experience of rapid charging is limited (in the sense that I've only ever done it with Teslas and Zoes).

And actually Teslas have a really cautious charge taper - they slow down a lot at high state of charge, relative to their battery size. But then the batteries are huge and the starting charge rate is huge so the overall result is still wonderful. But I'd never plan a long trip in the Tesla that required filling the battery at a charging stop - going from 80 to 100% takes as long as going from 0 to 80%!

The Zoe on the other hand has (as far as I know) the most aggressive charging curve of any EV. A 43kW Zoe can still be pulling pretty much the full 43kW even when it's up at 80% charge and beyond, by which time something like a LEAF is down to 20kW or less. And Zoe's charging speed isn't hampered at low SOC by the current limit on the chargepoint either.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Zoe on the other hand has (as far as I know) the most aggressive charging curve of any EV. A 43kW Zoe can still be pulling pretty much the full 43kW even when it's up at 80% charge and beyond, by which time something like a LEAF is down to 20kW or less. And Zoe's charging speed isn't hampered at low SOC by the current limit on the chargepoint either.
I believe that's only true for the 22kWh Zoes. Renault have a charge speed calculator on their site that allows you to compare how quickly the R90 and Q90 charge from 0% to a specified percentage full. It seems that the Q90 is throttled back at a relatively low battery level compared to the previous version.
IIRC it said Q90 - 1hr05 0% to 80%,and R90 1hr 37 minutes.
It would be interesting to hear from a Q90 owner to see if this matches their experience...

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I believe that's only true for the 22kWh Zoes. Renault have a charge speed calculator on their site that allows you to compare how quickly the R90 and Q90 charge from 0% to a specified percentage full. It seems that the Q90 is throttled back at a relatively low battery level compared to the previous version.
IIRC it said Q90 - 1hr05 0% to 80%,and R90 1hr 37 minutes.
It would be interesting to hear from a Q90 owner to see if this matches their experience...
Yes I think I've heard similar stories, though I wasn't sure of the details. The 22kWh Zoe is excellent for this though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
In my Leaf 30 I did a 350-mile trip (summer) from Edinburgh to Oxfordshire and stopped three times at circa 90 miles each time. I was getting back up to high 90s per cent in 35-40 minutes at the Ecotricity rapids. Total journey time was nine hours.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
For my 13reg 24kWh Leaf, for A-road driving at an indicated 50-55mph, I plan using on the basis of a 100% to 0% range of 60 miles wet winter, 80 miles dry summer. For charging at a Rapid, if I aimed to charge to 80%, and plan to arrive at my destination (or the next Rapid) with at least 10% spare, this would give me a 'Rapid' range of 70% of the 100% to 0% ranges, ie 42 miles wet winter and 56 miles dry summer. If this range is a bit tight, I would wait at the Rapid allowing the State of Charge to rise beyond 80%.

Of course, I need to take into account any height climbed (or descended) between the Rapids - I usually reckon a net climb will cost me about 3% SOC per 100m of climb, and a net descent will save me about 2% SOC per 100m of descent. - I was once (nearly) caught out on a wet day when I found the CHAdeMO connector at the Kidderminster Rapid was faulty, and thought that my remaining 21% would be more than sufficient to get me the 10 miles to Halesowen Queensway - forgetting that there was a net 120m of climb from Kidderminster to Halesowen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts