Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since November has started the heater is being used on my 22kw zoe and its been terrible! My avg is 2-2.6mpkwh if im using the heater most of the time. Im getting 40-50 miles per full charge. Horrible! In addition im paying 39p per KW using shell recharge everyday or 29p via ESB☹☹ I rely on Rapids due to my location weirdly its central london the “ Ev hotspot “ and source london is evan more expensive!!! So a good £8 for a full charge to only drive about 50 miles or £6 via ESB.

Back to the question, what are you guys getting whist using your heater?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had my heater on recently at the highest temperature, running in auto mode and driving along various roads with limits between 20 and 40, and got 2.1-2.2

Have you tried dropping the temperature to something much lower and wearing a coat to keep warm instead? Seat heaters if you have them, or otherwise a 12v one may also help with comfort a little while using a bit less energy.

If you run it in a way that keeps the windows clear and only slightly warming the car you will get a boost in range while sacrificing comfort. Remember though, it's not just your heating but also wind, rain, snow and cold temperatures - All the joys of winter weather that will affect your range too. As car heaters go, the Zoe already has one of the lower powered ones thanks to the heat pump. If you were in an early LEAF with the same battery you'd be finding range even worse for example.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
ZE40

I have mine on at 20 and it’s plenty warm enough at 7am and 3 degC outside.

if I have my heated seats on it gets too toasty.

im down below 3 mpkwh - especially if I preheat when not plugged in

39p/kWh is pretty steep as on octopus go (see my link in sig panel) I’m paying 5p/kWh

Do you not have any option to trail a cable out to the car?

JJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is it short distances? Still getting over 3mpkwh but most my journeys are 40miles plus at a time. The heater doesn't seem to draw a huge amount, I drove about 50 miles on a journey yesterday and it was about 0.7kwh

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Since November has started the heater is being used on my 22kw zoe and its been terrible! My avg is 2-2.6mpkwh if im using the heater most of the time. Im getting 40-50 miles per full charge. Horrible! In addition im paying 39p per KW using shell recharge everyday or 29p via ESB☹☹ I rely on Rapids due to my location weirdly its central london the “ Ev hotspot “ and source london is evan more expensive!!! So a good £8 for a full charge to only drive about 50 miles or £6 via ESB.

Try and get your council to install street charging through Ubitricity? Then you can precondition and save money on charging.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On long runs in my Q90 from Glasgow to Manchester, with ECO on (60 mph max) and starting with a cold battery with AUTO heating at 22c, I will average 3.4 mpkwh. Most of this is to do with steep hills where it is also a lot colder than my start and end locations. At 70 mph that will drop down to 2.8 mpkwh. Headwinds will that by -0.2 mpkwh at a minimum. Local driving at 30 mph-ish and I will get 3.8+ easily from a cold start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm getting around 3.8Mls/Kw at the moment, mixture of urban and dual carriageway (60ish mph) with the ambient temperature around 3-8C . Heater and lights etc on, using Eco around town
and full power on dual carriageways. Zoe R110 ZE 40.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I've got a 40 and the starting range is about 129 miles. That's mostly 9 mile round trips and a few 50 mile round trips. Heater at 23C otherwise it doesn't warm the car at all. Even then I usually pre heat off the battery. I think the miles per kWh is showing around 3.5 but it's dropping steadily.

It was better last year as I kept it parked in the garage and the heater only seemed to need to be on 22C to be acceptable.

One thing I have noticed is that since I changed tyres regen isn't being logged in the trip screen. It is doing regen as I have checked the energy meter. I assume it's another software glitch. Miles per kWh haven't really changed but the amount of regen was a noticeable chunk.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that since I changed tyres regen isn't being logged in the trip screen. It is doing regen as I have checked the energy meter. I assume it's another software glitch. Miles per kWh haven't really changed but the amount of regen was a noticeable chunk.

i had that on the last trip reset i did, no number on the regen, its back working after reset last week. I tend to do a reset after 500 miles

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Central London is a hotspot for EV use, but they all charge outside and drive in! ;)

If you want an EV charging hotspot, MK is where you want to be...

On topic, I got about 65-70miles out of my old 22kwh in winter, so 3mpkwh+

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ZE40

I have mine on at 20 and it’s plenty warm enough at 7am and 3 degC outside.

if I have my heated seats on it gets too toasty.

im down below 3 mpkwh - especially if I preheat when not plugged in

39p/kWh is pretty steep as on octopus go (see my link in sig panel) I’m paying 5p/kWh

Do you not have any option to trail a cable out to the car?

JJ
5p!! Thats Crazy. I will look into that. Yes i do have the option to run a granny cable with an extension but it takes a good 12-18 hours to fully charge. It charges at around 1.2kw an hour I usually come back home with less than 15 miles left over and in the morning it still hasnt completed so dont bother with the granny.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try and get your council to install street charging through Ubitricity? Then you can precondition and save money on charging.
Actually theres one of the lamppost a few streets away from me however they have stupidly put it on a random lamppost in the middle of a resident parking bay so anyone can park and you never find a spot That’s with most ubitricity posts so whats the point if evan installing it if ev drivers cant get access to it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I had my heater on recently at the highest temperature, running in auto mode and driving along various roads with limits between 20 and 40, and got 2.1-2.2

Have you tried dropping the temperature to something much lower and wearing a coat to keep warm instead? Seat heaters if you have them, or otherwise a 12v one may also help with comfort a little while using a bit less energy.

If you run it in a way that keeps the windows clear and only slightly warming the car you will get a boost in range while sacrificing comfort. Remember though, it's not just your heating but also wind, rain, snow and cold temperatures - All the joys of winter weather that will affect your range too. As car heaters go, the Zoe already has one of the lower powered ones thanks to the heat pump. If you were in an early LEAF with the same battery you'd be finding range even worse for example.

·
Registered
57 Posts
During the summer 3.9 - 4.1
Winter as in now , starting off in the minus weather without plugged in preheat in the town around 2.8- 3.1

My Temp is set at 22 and im also using the heated seats and headlights most of the time. Plus the bose and normally charging my phone too.

Basically I've got everything turned on.

Will be interesting to see what difference my winter tyres make when they go on in a few weeks, still running on the EV tyres.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
We are still getting 120 to 150 miles per charge depending if my wife has driven it like she stole it or not. Heater on every day now to 20c. I tend to drive much slower and get further, she does not see the point.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Actually theres one of the lamppost a few streets away from me however they have stupidly put it on a random lamppost in the middle of a resident parking bay so anyone can park and you never find a spot That’s with most ubitricity posts so whats the point if evan installing it if ev drivers cant get access to it
That’s the point, they don’t have reserved bays.

Normally they install a few on the street and then you can always access one as the cable is fairly long.

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,624 Posts

What was the best mpkWh you were getting in summer?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,273 Posts
A few observations.
  • I have never seen the climate control system draw more than 3 kW and even then it throttles back rather quickly to 1-ish. Let's use a gracious 1.5 kW on average.
  • Capacity degradation seems very mild for low temperatures. This document https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1002007118307536 figure 2B) suggests to me less than 10% for -20C, less than 5% for -10C, almost none for 0C. Caveats: I did not read the entire document (skimmed graphs), not clear if this is Ah or kWh capacity.
  • Then there are some weird effects like higher air density, stiffer tyres, on average more rain (significantly increasing both air and rolling resistance) and more wind (from my childhood I remember somehow wind is always headwind). These effects are hard to quantify, though I found a document stating that the difference between a dry and even a mildly a wet road can easily be a whopping 3 kW, mostly because of slinging up and away what amounts to be a silly large volume of water.
At current conditions, assumed not colder than 0C-ish, and 25% wet roads, I would guestimate extra power need to be 1.5, 0 and 1 kW respectively, totalling 2.5 kW. Given that the average consumption is somewhere in the 15 kW range when driving 60-65-ish mph, you would expect a range decrease of roughly 17% compared to a temperature where neither heating nor cooling is required. I haven't done any serious analysis on the range of my car, but ballpark it jives, maybe a bit worse.

Note: charging power is heavily influenced by low temperatures, but that is out of the scope of this discussion I'd think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
3.8 mpkWh now that the weather is colder. It was 4.5 for a long period before that. Mostly A roads with a lot of hills for getting to work and back. I almost never drive at 70 unless I know I have spare capacity and a reliable charge at the end of the journey.
I don't sit in stationary traffic much.
Given the range of the 20kwh Zoe I do a couple of things to stretch the range
1. Inflate the tyres to 41psi. This was initially a move to reduce the tyre wear on the edges of the tyres but it also helps the mpkwh.
2. I slipstream behind lorries on motorways. I don't sit on their tails and I leave a comfortable gap but I still pick up a bit of pull whilst doing a reasonable speed.
I try to avoid charging to 100% since you lose any chance of regen braking for a good few miles so your mpkwh goes south and you wear out your pads and discs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts