Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
I too have noticed my mpkwh has dropped in "winter" temps. I used to get 3.2mpkwh all winter (last 5 years), over 4mpkwh is summer and 3.6mpkwh on motorway doing 65-70.

Now I'm seeing 2.8mpkwh in winter which is a hell of a drop. I can't seem to use more than 20kwh either so thats means 56miles range. I never used to see less than 65miles.

Anyone know if there were any updates recently? I had my car dealer services just a couple of weeks ago. I know there is a Rlink mandatory update, lol, winter app update.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Long-term average of about 3.7mpkWh, just dropped to 3.4 since the weather changed. Most of my commute is 70mph, I have the heater set to 19/20 which is plenty warm enough for me right now.

I know there is a Rlink mandatory update, lol, winter app update.
Onoes, I don't have an R-Link update available, guess I'll have to wear my tinfoil hat to keep warm ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
A few observations.
  • I have never seen the climate control system draw more than 3 kW and even then it throttles back rather quickly to 1-ish. Let's use a gracious 1.5 kW on average
sitting at a set of traffic lights tonight, i was drawing 4kw.

Temp was -3 , car was preheated. 22 degrees and demist function as the windows were starting to steam up a little.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was getting 85-105 range in the summer 4.3 mpkWh, I think I'm down to to 4.05 mpkWh and falling. I haven’t reset the trip metre in nearly 2000mi. Fully charged range is 60-70mi. I live and work in south London with a 12mi round commute, average speed 14mph.

Zoe 22 Q, 45,000 & 9% deg.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Haven't reset for a while as I find a long term average seems more accurate for some reason... even in mid summer you reset and for the first few miles it thinks you're doing like 1.7mpkwh, lol

Mine is at 2.91 at the moment I think but this is pretty extreme "wasting" of energy - I pre-heat for 5-10 minutes (unplugged, which does appear to then come out of the mpkwh figure) to defrost / make it comfortable for my 1 mile journey to work. Again for my 1 mile journey back. That sort of thing. I'm sure on a longer run I'd get more like 3.5, especially if pre-heating while plugged in first.

low 2s seems very low. Lead foot? 86mph motorway driving? 60mph makes a big difference...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Mines around 3.8 mpkWh at the moment too going around town and a few short motorway
trips ( no more than 9 miles on motorway )

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the main issue here is if you pre-heat when unplugged you see your mpkwh drop like a stone, obviously this isn't a true representation of your actual mpkwh when driving.

I get around 4.6mpkwh in the summer.
With pre heating and the colder weather I'm at around 3.2 at the moment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If I reset before moving away (so pre-heat isn't counted) I'm about 3.2 also now. Mixed stop/start traffic, urban / motorway. Summer is around 4.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since November has started the heater is being used on my 22kw zoe and its been terrible! My avg is 2-2.6mpkwh if im using the heater most of the time. Im getting 40-50 miles per full charge. Horrible! In addition im paying 39p per KW using shell recharge everyday or 29p via ESB☹☹ I rely on Rapids due to my location weirdly its central london the “ Ev hotspot “ and source london is evan more expensive!!! So a good £8 for a full charge to only drive about 50 miles or £6 via ESB.

Back to the question, what are you guys getting whist using your heater?
I keep mine at 21deg/22deg. aircon off, and the arrow vents to the windows ,fan speed at 2 dots, eco mode off, i drive 90km to work, and uses a total of 1kw throughout that journey, and i recover 1.5 kw in braking. so no loss on the main battery .lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did my first long trip on Tuesday: 42 miles to London & back again in my old Fluence. Driving like Noddy, with no heat, I managed 3.8 on the way there, and 3.3 on the way home drving normally with heat.

Although I preheated, the GOM put the fear of God into me. It initially dropped ten miles in five miles of non motorway driving, and I could see myself running out somewhere with no hard shoulder. Strangely by the time we got into London, the GOM was actually beating my own range estimate.

Actually got there with 23 miles left. I fully charged in London, so put my foot down,and heat on for the trip home. It says I have 21 miles left.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
GOM showed 147 miles this morning. Pre heated while plugged in. 100 mile round trip and a 9 mile round trip which was mostly motorway for the first and still had 30 showing at the end, I expected to be down to 20 before I'd even completed the first as it seemed rather optimistic. Heating at 23c all the way.

Regen has come back. It was showing an extra 2 kWh from just today

Still showing 3.6 miles per kWh as an average.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the heater uses like 1kWh per hour at most. what makes the car having less range int he winter isnt the heater, its the cold weather and how lithium batteries hold less energy in the cold. (at 0C, you'd be lucky to get real 30kWh usable out of a ze40 battery.)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
i do the school run every day
I travel 3 miles and it takes me 30mins

so according to the above, every 6miles I’m using 1kwh just on heating

so if I do 60miles I’ve used 25% of my capacity on heating the car

i think that’s a significant amount of energy use and massively impacts my available range

JJ

·
Registered
197 Posts
i do the school run every day
I travel 3 miles and it takes me 30mins

so according to the above, every 6miles I’m using 1kwh just on heating

so if I do 60miles I’ve used 25% of my capacity on heating the car

i think that’s a significant amount of energy use and massively impacts my available range

JJ
heating is per hour, not per miles. if you sit 60 min to do 12 miles, yeah you will use as much in heating as driving.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts