Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, I had my rear offside done this week. Be prepared for a shock though as the part can only be gotten through Nissan. I got mine done at Kingsway Tires and it cost me £490!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I had my rear offside done this week. Be prepared for a shock though as the part can only be gotten through Nissan. I got mine done at Kingsway Tires and it cost me £490!!!

They were telling you nonsense I'm afraid, front and rear bearings are the same as the Nissan Juke amongst others.
Commonly available good quality replacements from SKF and the like for around £50.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried myself and I couldn't get hold of one. It comes as one complete unit with sensors on etc. I was there while they where shopping around and the only one they could actually get was a Nissan one which was a week to order. They did find an after market one for £350 but couldn't guarantee it would fit. If it didn't fit then I would be without car till I got the Nissan one ordered. My cars done 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Isn't the mileage that impacts in the wear of the wheel bearings, they are usually dimension to last longer than the car. What damages the bearings are the potholes or running over objects or climbing kerbs.
Bearings don't like that :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sounds like standard garage nonsense and a ripped off customer as usual. The LEAF rear bearing is a standard part shared with other nissan models.

It does indeed have an integrated ABS sensor, and a decent quality SKF brand part costs around £120, or as low as £47 for an off brand part:

Its also a bolt on part unlike older cars while require dismantling and bearings pressing out and in etc.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sounds like standard garage nonsense and a ripped off customer as usual. The LEAF rear bearing is a standard part shared with other nissan models.

It does indeed have an integrated ABS sensor, and a decent quality SKF brand part costs around £120, or as low as £47 for an off brand part:

Its also a bolt on part unlike older cars while require dismantling and bearings pressing out and in etc.
or even cheaper at:
:)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ah, so it's not just a bearing. It's the entire housing. Little wonder they make so much money. Bearing worth a few quid wears out, replace the whole housing for ten times the price.
I'm sure that with the right tools you can remove the bearings and replace them but I would be very surprised if any garage would be willing to do that without a fuss.
Note that most garages will start arguing that parts supplied by costumers aren't covered by their insurance.
Personally I think this is another garage ripoff..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sure that with the right tools you can remove the bearings and replace them but I would be very surprised if any garage would be willing to do that without a fuss.

Usually with these type of units the hub and shaft is permanently joined to the inner race of the bearings and cant be taken apart.
Although wasteful on the face of it, they're much easier to fit and the complete thing can be recycled anyway.

Haven't had any problems with our leafs rear bearings despite it approaching 120k miles but I did replace the drivers side front earlier this year.
Fairly easy job apart from the necessity to remove the ABS sensor to get the bearing assembly out, these being a delicate coil of wire encased in plastic and pretty easily damaged :(

Rust in the hole it lives in totally traps it in situ and no amount of gentle persuasion / WD40 would shift it.
Now that component does seem to be a leaf only item and was almost as expensive as the frigging bearing when I searched for it.
Ended up getting one for a Juke which fitted the hub perfectly but needed the connector modified to suit the leaf, less than a tenner though so worth the effort for a scotsman ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts