Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of locking wheel bolts but am not sure of the sizing. Can anyone help with that and a source?

A second query... the bolts on the car at the moment appear to have a black Torx(?) head. Is this a plastic cover, or is it the actual bolt head?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm looking for a set of locking wheel bolts but am not sure of the sizing. Can anyone help with that and a source?

A second query... the bolts on the car at the moment appear to have a black Torx(?) head. Is this a plastic cover, or is it the actual bolt head?
It's a plastic cover. In your tool set you should find a steel circular loop with a hook. You pull the plastic bolt covers off with the hook and you'll find that one bolt per wheel will be locking, with the locking adapter that goes into the wheel brace to be found also in the tool kit under the boot carpet. So you already have locking wheel nuts. Unless you want to double up, there's no point (a set including locking nut adapter is about £70 as the dealership had to buy me a new set when my Polo GTI+ got serviced last year and they lost the adapter).

If I were you, I'd buy another wheel brace, one with a smooth socket head. The cast wheel braces VW send the cars out with have very rough edges and can scratch the wheel bolt recesses right up, especially when you put the locking nut adapter on. There are some fine telescopic ones from the likes of screwfix for about £7 with a 17mm socket head for the bolts.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,156 Posts
M14 x 1.5 is the wheel bolt spec, standard VAG.

The black things with the torx shape in the middle are plastic covers, you pull them off with the little hooked tool that should be in the boot.

Then you need a 17mm socket for the factory bolts.

·
Registered
ID.3 Tour
626 Posts
Thats a cover

Depending on the spec of the car there may not be a wheel brace supplied with the car.

The bolts are M14x1.5, with a 17 Hex head.

Don't buy the current type:

As they round off very easily.

Get some of the older spline type, these are from experience FAR better:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all, it appears that we've either been unexpectedly supplied with locking bolts with the replacement Loen alloys or they're included with the original steel rims.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,156 Posts
Thanks, all, it appears that we've either been unexpectedly supplied with locking bolts with the replacement Loen alloys or they're included with the original steel rims.
I’ve been looking at a set of Loen alloys for some winter tyres, where did you order from or was it with the car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts