Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bumping an old topic - there are still around 2,500 Vauxhall badged Ampera alloy wheel centre caps in the USA but I have not been able to get a response from the vendor who has them. Hopefully, they will eventually realise that there is a market for these in the UK.
In the interim, I have peeled the aluminium away from one of my old centre caps - it was not too difficult. And, as it is only the aluminium that corrodes or tarnishes, such modified centre caps (without the aluminium logo) may be acceptable as a short term fix.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,709 Posts
You can buy adhesive stick-on Griffins, stick them over the corroded ones, and then you have new ones that will corrode in only a year or two.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You can buy adhesive stick-on Griffins, stick them over the corroded ones, and then you have new ones that will corrode in only a year or two.
I wonder why they designed centre caps with such a short life expectancy? In all other respects they are well designed. Some owners have reported similar problems with the alloy wheels - corrosion under the paint or lacquer - maybe it is due to poor preparation or it could be an unforeseen reaction to the salt that we put on UK roads?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Where my wheels went was on the inside of the 'spoke' took the lacquer and the silver paint off just leaving the grey undercoat. I'm going to rake about for some 50mm adhesive round plastic badges.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to get my alloys refurbished as soon as C-19 circumstances allow.

Centre caps need to be replaced. There are a few options on eBay but would love to get some recommendations from those in the group that purchased and fitted new centre caps. I'm not too bothered about them being genuine or having the VX logo once they fit, are high quality and look good!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My brother now has my Ampera, however, I had the wheels refurbished before he got it. I bought these but since C19 kicked in I cant visit to try them They are totally flat relief with a plastic layer over the top, maybe a couple of mm thick and a curved outer edge. I haven't decided if I am going to try sticking them over the current badge or try and remove it and hopefully have a flat surface underneath.

·
27,709 Posts
My brother now has my Ampera, however, I had the wheels refurbished before he got it. I bought these but since C19 kicked in I cant visit to try them They are totally flat relief with a plastic layer over the top, maybe a couple of mm thick and a curved outer edge. I haven't decided if I am going to try sticking them over the current badge or try and remove it and hopefully have a flat surface underneath.
I did exactly that on the winter wheels I bought. Straight over the decals of the new make of rim. These got rain damaged after a while, water got under the plastic layer you mention, and corroded the metal base layer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bough some off eBay having measured 60mm dia, but then discovered that the VX ones have a smaller dia on the plastic carrier inside. So peeled off the alu VX decal and then carefully levered off the new decals and stuck them on the old plastic carriers.
BTW - I did buy Opel decals, - thought they looked more appropriate for an electric car!! ⚡

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera 2014-20, waiting on e-Niro
20 Posts
I'll pass on the offer thx. Am already experimenting with my own unique version that looks like nothing else on the planet! Here's the design. Actual item is glossy black, hard to take a pic of!
View attachment 124094
This does sound interesting. Have you fitted them to your car? Picture?
I have bought a set of the stick on logos but done nothing with them yet. Wondering about combining with these.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Tried making one, turns out it's almost impossible to make this item strong enough, at least on my printer. The reason it it's printed in layers, and the flat outer face is the bottom layer. So the thin spindly prongs sticking up are made of stacks of thin plates, like a deck of a hundred cards, and the layer-to-layer bond isn't strong enough. Ideally you'ld print these pronge lengthwise, but that means printing a load of separate items & then assembling them all. Too much work tbh.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Rather than the prongs could you make spokes to cross-brace the prongs? Maybe even cutting down on the number of prongs and spokes to maybe 6.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Here's pic of the one I made. Not easy photoing black things, but have cranked up the gamma-correction, so you can see the 2 prongs that snapped off. And as I write this, I've given another prong a tweak, and snapped that as well! Part of the problem is that this black ABS seems to be rather a brittle flavour of ABS, at least compared to the white I use a lot, which feels much more like a nylon, and prints a lot tougher, somehow. It's a slow item to print, so I'd probably end up charging a fiver each. I'm not sure it's worth it tbh.

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera 2014-20, waiting on e-Niro
20 Posts
Here's pic of the one I made. Not easy photoing black things, but have cranked up the gamma-correction, so you can see the 2 prongs that snapped off. And as I write this, I've given another prong a tweak, and snapped that as well! Part of the problem is that this black ABS seems to be rather a brittle flavour of ABS, at least compared to the white I use a lot, which feels much more like a nylon, and prints a lot tougher, somehow. It's a slow item to print, so I'd probably end up charging a fiver each. I'm not sure it's worth it tbh.
View attachment 131116
I see and understand the problem. Shame. I suppose it could be made in white and the sprayed black or silver, if the white were stronger. Or could add a sticker with the logo. Still, maybe I'll have a go at stickering my grotty things.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also took a drill mounted mop and T-Cut to the plastic inserts. Here's how they turned out...

Quite the difference!

Cheers
Jim

·
27,709 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I did the same and the went back to looking like the old ones as soon as winter started up.
That is why I fit the winter tyres on cheap German steel wheels when the weather gets bad . . .

21 - 40 of 49 Posts