Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bumping an old topic - there are still around 2,500 Vauxhall badged Ampera alloy wheel centre caps in the USA but I have not been able to get a response from the vendor who has them. Hopefully, they will eventually realise that there is a market for these in the UK.
In the interim, I have peeled the aluminium away from one of my old centre caps - it was not too difficult. And, as it is only the aluminium that corrodes or tarnishes, such modified centre caps (without the aluminium logo) may be acceptable as a short term fix.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,323 Posts
You can buy adhesive stick-on Griffins, stick them over the corroded ones, and then you have new ones that will corrode in only a year or two.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can buy adhesive stick-on Griffins, stick them over the corroded ones, and then you have new ones that will corrode in only a year or two.
I wonder why they designed centre caps with such a short life expectancy? In all other respects they are well designed. Some owners have reported similar problems with the alloy wheels - corrosion under the paint or lacquer - maybe it is due to poor preparation or it could be an unforeseen reaction to the salt that we put on UK roads?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Where my wheels went was on the inside of the 'spoke' took the lacquer and the silver paint off just leaving the grey undercoat. I'm going to rake about for some 50mm adhesive round plastic badges.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to get my alloys refurbished as soon as C-19 circumstances allow.

Centre caps need to be replaced. There are a few options on eBay but would love to get some recommendations from those in the group that purchased and fitted new centre caps. I'm not too bothered about them being genuine or having the VX logo once they fit, are high quality and look good!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My brother now has my Ampera, however, I had the wheels refurbished before he got it. I bought these but since C19 kicked in I cant visit to try them They are totally flat relief with a plastic layer over the top, maybe a couple of mm thick and a curved outer edge. I haven't decided if I am going to try sticking them over the current badge or try and remove it and hopefully have a flat surface underneath.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,323 Posts
My brother now has my Ampera, however, I had the wheels refurbished before he got it. I bought these but since C19 kicked in I cant visit to try them They are totally flat relief with a plastic layer over the top, maybe a couple of mm thick and a curved outer edge. I haven't decided if I am going to try sticking them over the current badge or try and remove it and hopefully have a flat surface underneath.
I did exactly that on the winter wheels I bought. Straight over the decals of the new make of rim. These got rain damaged after a while, water got under the plastic layer you mention, and corroded the metal base layer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bough some off eBay having measured 60mm dia, but then discovered that the VX ones have a smaller dia on the plastic carrier inside. So peeled off the alu VX decal and then carefully levered off the new decals and stuck them on the old plastic carriers.
BTW - I did buy Opel decals, - thought they looked more appropriate for an electric car!! ⚡

21 - 31 of 31 Posts