Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,691 Posts
That is why I fit the winter tyres on cheap German steel wheels when the weather gets bad . . .
Funny you say that, when I bought my winter tyres, there were alloys cheaper than steels! In black too, so figured show dirt less, and black alloys on the dark grey Ampera look very nice, IMHO. I hope @Garry TheBiz might agree!! ;)

(take a look at Garry's avatar! :) )

·
Registered
387 Posts
Somebody once commented that they looked 'mean' when I arrived with the black wheels and winter tyres fitted.

I am not sure about looking "mean" but they certainly look very good and top marks for keeping your Amp so clean in the snow!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did this job on mine. The original blanks I measured to be 57.5mm diameter, so I decided to go for 56mm caps off ebay. The hole is just 60mm so I think you could go for that but the edge will be unsupported by the cap.

I recommend using a small pair of wire cutters to roll the old aluminium skins off the originals rather than lever the lip with a screwdriver which might break the spring tabs.

The decor on the new caps comes off easily after a blast with a hairdryer on the inside for 30 seconds or so. Just insert a craft knife once it is hot and lever it off gently. Fortunately, almost all of the adhesive comes away with the decor. Then just press carefully onto the original plastic cap blank, which helpfully is also slightly domed, but not quite as much as the new ones so they need a firm press under a gentle clamp for a minute or two to ensure good adhesion. Don't forget to remove the protective film, then pop them back on and admire.

Only slight issue was that the design is the earlier 2000s one with the hairy legs on the griffon, but thelater design is much harder to find in the right size. Anyway, total cost £7.69.

·
Registered
89 Posts
so mine are on the way out suspect I will get one more winter did anyone buy the plain silver ones from China and do they fit , would be happy with no logo if they Do not need replacing every 2-3 years. Also has anyone found a Vauxhall Daley that will order a set

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The odd one or two being left off the wheel when it has been balanced off the car and now sitting in a toolbox somewhere.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought a set from this eBay seller but not at the present price.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok so I purchased two sets from the USA via Gm parts direct and they were still cheaper than buying them from Vauxhall online for one set , if anyone needs a set I will be willing to split the costs and sell my second set for 50 quid via PayPal including shipping if anyone is interested let me know , regrettably the reason they are so expensive is the shipping and then the VAT on the cost of the parts and shipping and a fee from DHL and then they were still cheaper than Vauxhall , this works out 12.50 each cheaper than the 22 quid that Vauxhall direct want. First come first served

41 - 50 of 50 Posts