Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct in thinking that the alloy wheel cleaners that you get are just for the wheel spokes?
Can you use it to clean the brake disc too? Should you/How do you clean the brake discs? I find they are getting red/dusty quite often probably because of the regenerative braking/less use of brakes..

Anyone have any tips on cleaning or recommend any products?

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Brake discs rust as soon as they get a sniff of damp, so the only way to keep them shiny is to use the brakes (and if it rains overnight they'll be rusty again the next morning). Whatever you do, don't put anything on your brake discs other than water or brake cleaner. Pretty much any other cleaning agent is basically a lubricant and will ruin your discs and pads - dangerously so!

·
Registered
276 Posts
There is a spray you can get from a company called Bilt Hamber that you put on after washing to stop the rust coat appearing, troub,e is you can’t reach the back of the disc so that gets a rusty coat still which deposits over your wheels.

I wash my alloys weekly just with normal car shampoo, including the insides of the rim using wool brushes from Autobrite (Magnifcent 7 ) or Wheel Woolies - expensive for brushes you may think, but no where near as costly as your alloys. if you can’t dry them off with an air line then a short drive down the road pressing brake pedal firmly will dry them off before the rust appears.

I normally dry off with a Vacuum which can be turned into a blower and spray Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer to protect them for the week. they have looked perfect all winter despite living in a rural location.

9C98DE4E-73C4-4CE0-9032-AA15312A7BDE.jpeg

·
Registered
854 Posts
Goes without saying, but all this hard breaking has to happen with a fully charged car of course... the regen is so flipping good it takes a lot to engage the breaks when the battery is anything less than three quarters full.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts