Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the 'driving electric ' showcase, alongside the MG and other cars was the Jaguar I Pace, which if I won the lottery would be my EV of choice, £82,000 with all the toys.
I couldn't help looking at the wheels on the Jag which were 20" (£2500 extra!) and filled the wheel arches, whereas on the MG the standard wheels look a little lost, so I would be looking to upgrade them at sometime, but is there anything that would prevent me from doing this and what's the best size?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Funnily enough, I was looking at i-pace wheel size threads this morning, as the car is also on my list.
You can get 18 or 20 or 21 or 22 inch wheels for it.
The larger wheels handle well, look superb, but curb easily and are significantly less efficient.
Some posters have moved to the 18s to get better range. The concensus is that 18s are more efficient as they are narrower and fitted as standard with an ultra low rolling resistance tyre.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I couldn't help looking at the wheels on the Jag which were 20" (£2500 extra!) and filled the wheel arches, whereas on the MG the standard wheels look a little lost, so I would be looking to upgrade them at sometime, but is there anything that would prevent me from doing this and what's the best size?
I've never understood why larger wheels are considered better - is it just for looks, or is there some actual driving benefit?

·
Registered
19 Posts
They generally look better and give a firmer ride, which is usually better for handling and the feeling of 'connection with the road'. Though this comes at the price of some comfort, especially on crap (ie UK) road surfaces with potholes and more susceptibility to curbing.

The bigger wheels on the ipace are also wider, further improving handling and braking, but at a noticable cost to range.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Big wheels are all about the looks.
Big wide wheels are worse in snow.
Bigger Wider wheels have more angular momentum and rotational kinetic energy so you waste more energy spinning them up to speed, and have to dissipate more energy when slowing down.

Back when I was into motorbikes, there was a trend for ever larger wider back wheels. The tyres were also becoming more and more costly. Then one day a manufacturer broke ranks and their new model regressed years of size increases, and they published actual measurable figures about how the new wheel gave better acceleration, better braking, no loss of grip, and half the price to replace. All the other makes followed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can get up to 20in Astra wheels with the same specs ET41 PCD and 5x105. The only downside it will weight much more in unsprung mass unless you go forged...

·
Zoe Devotee
7,755 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Is this a trick question? Its black!
Sorry, It must be the angle that the image was taken !.
When you zoom into the image above the tyre pressure sticker, it looks like a dark navy blue colour !.
But if you study the side of the image where the door bolts on, then you can clearly see the body colour is indeed black !.
My bad 🤗

·
Zoe Devotee
7,755 Posts
Maybe the pictures should have been taken in the dark to cancel out the sky blue tinting? ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts