Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tested an 18 plate estate this afternoon.
Really nice just need to decide if that particular car is for me.

One thing that I am thinking about is tyres. I have used winter tyres (in winter) for the last 5 or 6 years and plan to do similar going forward. I have a spare set of wheels currently with nearly new summer tyres used on my Octavia. Do I:
1) Change the tyres on my summer Octavia wheels to winters for the passat (different size tyres) and store the nearly new Octavia tyres to sell/give away.
2) Change the 4 brand new ardent sport tyres on the Passat for all seasons and forget about using winters.
3) Some other option that I can't think of.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I've got all seasons on my Passat, had the dealer fit them before delivery. The factory fitted tyres are basically brand new and are sitting in my garage just now. I'll probably flog them at some point. The car on all seasons performed admirably in the recent slow/ice, "eco" mode in particular is very useful for avoiding wheel spin.

Where I am gets snow pretty badly (live up a hill in Scotland), but all seasons have always been good enough so I've personally never bothered with winter tyres.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We generally don't get much snow but the increased cold performance of winters and the back lane commuting is my main reason for using them.
Had family members use Michelin cross climates and really rate them. Maybe they are worth a shot and no worries about changing wheels over twice a year.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks. We generally don't get much snow but the increased cold performance of winters and the back lane commuting is my main reason for using them.
Had family members use Michelin cross climates and really rate them. Maybe they are worth a shot and no worries about changing wheels over twice a year.
If you don't get much snow then Cross Climates sound ideal (had them on a previous car). Michelin also do a Cross Climate Plus now which is a but more hard-wearing which is no bad thing given the car weight and torque in the power train.

I sold the awful 18 incgh Bridgestones that came with my car on Ebay without too much bother. They sold quickly and found a courrier that would pick up the tyres direct from the house. And just taped them together in pairs which made packaging simple.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: MarkyG82

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.
Will hunt out some X climate + and get them fitted. The fewer miles I do on these random tyres the better.

Picked the car up yesterday and v happy with it. 0 battery miles on it and only 40 miles in the tank. Filled with v power less than a mile from the garage and got 43mpg on the drive home (35 miles). I can live with that. Charged it overnight and dash is showing 23 miles available. If that is accurate it's more than I was expecting in this weather/temperature. First trip with the whole family this afternoon. Let's see what MrsG thinks.

Ps. Put my pedal box on it this morning and no errors on the dash yet. Will see what it's like in default (off) to start with and build from there. Now, where did I leave the instructions for resetting the pedal box......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts