Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the leaf is not short on power, but it seems to wheelspin frequently when driven 'enthusiastically'. Its pretty rare that I boot it, but when pulling out of junctions in the wet I've noticed it happens often. Driving in eco helps, but I wonder if it actually has traction control? I could feel the pulsing when it cut in in my Mini. I know the hard eco tyres aren't the best for traction, but does anyone else feel the lack of grip?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I know the leaf is not short on power, but it seems to wheelspin frequently when driven 'enthusiastically'. Its pretty rare that I boot it, but when pulling out of junctions in the wet I've noticed it happens often. Driving in eco helps, but I wonder if it actually has traction control? I could feel the pulsing when it cut in in my Mini. I know the hard eco tyres aren't the best for traction, but does anyone else feel the lack of grip?
The Leaf does have traction control but it's not the best. It seems to kick in quite slowly and then just kills the power by 90%.

Mostly the problem is the eco the tyres though which are really awful in the wet once temperatures start to drop a bit. We just fitted a set of Michelin Crossclimate to our Leaf 40 and it's way, way better.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
The Leaf does have traction control but it's not the best. It seems to kick in quite slowly and then just kills the power by 90%.

Mostly the problem is the eco the tyres though which are really awful in the wet once temperatures start to drop a bit. We just fitted a set of Michelin Crossclimate to our Leaf 40 and it's way, way better.
Only a Leaf 30 here so a lot less power at the wheel than a 40, but even it spun the factory Dunlops in the wet far too easily, even straight ahead from traffic lights with the front wheels in a puddle. I have CrossClimate+ on mine now too and while I have complaints about the harsher ride quality and the odd noise they make during acceleration (a high pitched hissing noise like a snake) their cold wet grip is absolutely outstanding probably the best of any tyre I've driven on. I can hardly tell the difference between dry and wet grip now and this engenders confidence in the handling of the car in the wet.

You will still get a little bit of wheel spin if you floor it while turning at a junction of course, no amount of grip will solve the issue of differential grip during a tight corner. Traction control is slow to respond and not very smart on the Leaf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.