Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thanks for the add, much appreciated!

I am a newcomer to all this EV technology, so please excuse my naivety...

My question is...

When you are using your home charger, does the car have to be locked in order for the charge to proceed?

A simple response, stating your vehicle model and a ‘yes’ (must be locked) or a ‘no’ (need not be locked), will be sufficient. Thank you for sparing the time.

Regards,

M

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
345 Posts
2013 LEAF 24kWh - No, but I do lock it.

Reactions: Me in the corner

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It would be more to the point if you were to say what model yours is !

FWIW, I've never had to lock my car(s) to enable charging although ISTR reading that some models insist upon that. But my charging is done inside a locked garage - I'd certainly lock it if parked outdoors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be more to the point if you were to say what model yours is !

FWIW, I've never had to lock my car(s) to enable charging although ISTR reading that some models insist upon that. But my charging is done inside a locked garage - I'd certainly lock it if parked outdoors.
Apologies, Eric.... mine is a new MG ZS EV, and it does need to be locked, apparently. I’m asking because the installer of my charge unit seems unaware of this... and I’m wondering if the the MG is the exception or the rule, that’s all. Regards, M

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Many modern cars (not just EVs) take much longer to shutdown fully if not locked, so increasing 12V battery drain.
Even though ours is in a locked garage at home I always lock if I'm not coming back to it fairly soon.

To answer the question: Kona, no.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Apologies, Eric.... mine is a new MG ZS EV, and it does need to be locked, apparently. I’m asking because the installer of my charge unit seems unaware of this... and I’m wondering if the the MG is the exception or the rule, that’s all. Regards, M
It's quite difficult for the installers to be aware of the various charging scenarios for each car as they can vary wildly. The information I get, for example as editor, will come from manufacturers of the car and charger as well as customers. We try our best to stay up to date but I wouldn't rely on any installer for info on the car itself as their expertise should be with the unit and installation itself.

I will say though, that the MG ZS EV seems to have had the most charging problems/questions of any car we've installed for. Some of that is down to numbers sold but also just some charging flaws that sit with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tya
It's quite difficult for the installers to be aware of the various charging scenarios for each car as they can vary wildly. The information I get, for example as editor, will come from manufacturers of the car and charger as well as customers. We try our best to stay up to date but I wouldn't rely on any installer for info on the car itself as their expertise should be with the unit and installation itself.

I will say though, that the MG ZS EV seems to have had the most charging problems/questions of any car we've installed for. Some of that is down to numbers sold but also just some charging flaws that sit with the manufacturer.
Thanks Editor!

·
Registered
503 Posts
MG ZS EV needs to be locked to start charging on AC. On DC it allows you to charge with the car unlocked.

Here's a video you might find interesting:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tha
MG ZS EV needs to be locked to start charging on AC. On DC it allows you to charge with the car unlocked.

Here's a video you might find interesting:

Thanks for the response, including the video clip. Once again, I am new to all this stuff, so please forgive the naive question....

How do I find out if I’m charging on AC or D.C.? I’ve got a home charger in the garage, a lead that that came with the car and will plug into a 3 pin 13amp socket, when on the road, I use the ‘Polar’ charging network.

Thanks for any help,

Confused ?
Oxfordshire

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,191 Posts
Tha

Thanks for the response, including the video clip. Once again, I am new to all this stuff, so please forgive the naive question....

How do I find out if I’m charging on AC or D.C.? I’ve got a home charger in the garage, a lead that that came with the car and will plug into a 3 pin 13amp socket, when on the road, I use the ‘Polar’ charging network.

Thanks for any help,

Confused ?
Oxfordshire
If the end you plug into the car looks like the one on the left, it's DC. If it looks like the one on the right, it's AC.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,980 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks for the add, much appreciated!

I am a newcomer to all this EV technology, so please excuse my naivety...

My question is...

When you are using your home charger, does the car have to be locked in order for the charge to proceed?

A simple response, stating your vehicle model and a ‘yes’ (must be locked) or a ‘no’ (need not be locked), will be sufficient. Thank you for sparing the time.

Regards,

M
You can always lock every EV while charging, but you don't have to. They are independent functions.

On most cars, locking the car also locks the charging cable in place.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts