Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 weeks, 1150 miles and just under 2 tanks of fuel, I am sad to see my lifetime average under 100mpg for the first time :(
com/d/14/05/09/6u8upuhy.jpg[/IMG]

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
It is ridiculous isn't it!! :D

Mind you, I always thought with your expected mileage and driving pattern you would not manage to remain above the 100 mpg mark for long, which is a shame. It should still be much better than your old car I would have thought though?

I was disappointed my lifetime figure started around 70 after my drive home from Sheffield. I am pleased to say that as I passed the 1500 mile mark I am now up at 174 mpg. I set my trip after the journey home and am also pleased to say I have done over a 1000 miles and used only 2.0 Gallons of petrol.

Derek

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit hit and miss. Today was the first time it dropped below 100mpg on the lifetime. But then I did do just under 200 miles!
I could do with sorting a 16a charger at work, I was in the office for just under 3 hours this afternoon, which was just under half a charge(20 miles) at 10a, but would have been nearly 35 miles at 16a !
This charging multiple times per day is an absolute winner. :)
Got some more longer petrol driving over the weekend, then back into electric only for a couple of days to try and drag it back to 100mpg again ;)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That lifetime figure on the Ampera can become a bit of an obsession can't it! Sort of like a long term video game where you have to nudge the number up by fair means and foul :) I found for a while after I got mine that I felt a bit disappointed I wasn't getting anywhere near David Pielow's 250mpg! It passed though, after a period of adjustment, and realising that even without driving with the heater off and a thick coat on I could get well over three figures long term, which was sensational!
Having a charger at work (if you work) is no doubt a major factor in getting a high long term figure from the Ampera from what I've seen on the forum over the months, as you're normally getting two full recharges a day.

Reactions: PRO-AMPERA

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Mine dropped from 4600mpg to "only" 184mpg after doing my first >40 mile trip this week :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
654 Posts
It's all a bit of a fudge anyway isn't it?

The ICE part does 40mpg on a good day. The battery takes the car for 30 miles. So it's a 40mpg car with a battery assist for short journeys.

It's a good idea to only use the ICE for longer journeys and for it to be a very short range EV for around town.

But it doesn't make the MPG of the ICE any better.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all a bit of a fudge anyway isn't it?

The ICE part does 40mpg on a good day. The battery takes the car for 30 miles. So it's a 40mpg car with a battery assist for short journeys.

It's a good idea to only use the ICE for longer journeys and for it to be a very short range EV for around town.

But it doesn't make the MPG of the ICE any better.
I 'thought' I had read that the petrol bit was supposed to do 50-55mpg, but at 70+mph it's definitely more like
30 or 40mpg.

I was wondering (or wandering off topic) if anyone has hacked the software yet, as I find it frustrating that it will rev like a geriatric, then stop a second later if you let your foot off the throttle. A more even use of petrol at a lower revs would seem more economical to me .....

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Well done Lee :)

On my recent trip I covered about 35 miles on electric (lots of motorway to start and end with) and then averaged 47mpg on the ICE at 70mph (indicated 73mph as it over-reads like all speedos).

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well done Lee :)

On my recent trip I covered about 35 miles on electric (lots of motorway to start and end with) and then averaged 47mpg on the ICE at 70mph (indicated 73mph as it over-reads like all speedos).
This motorway lark really kills the battery :(
I need to work out the best way to get the 'optimum' combination of petrol and electric use :)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After 13500 miles I can report that on long trips at 70mph I get 49mpg. Over all petrol use mileage, the car is averaging 48.5 mpg.
That's not all that bad, and to be fair is probably about what I expected in real world use, I just hadn't realised how addictive the 'free' electric charging would be ;)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I currently have a lifetime of 112mpg over 27,000+ miles but that'll drop back to 108 in a week or so (more long drives coming up).

I get between 45-48mpg at 70 not over! at 70+ speeds I would get as low as 35mpg. Speed increases drag load at a cubic rate. I can manage 60mpg by sitting on cruise behind a lorry ~56mph.. but I'm also equally likely to cruise at 80 with the third lane traffic...

I recently eeked a 53 mile drive out of the battery by trundling across Lincolnshire, I tried to keep my speed between 40-50 mph which wasn't too hard on empty roads...

Yes motorway speed eats energy but that is also the case with petrol. So don't think too badly of only getting a short range, you'd have only gotten a short range out of one litre of petrol too! Key thing is it's still saving you the same amount of petrol whether you drive fast or slow!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
This motorway lark really kills the battery :(
I need to work out the best way to get the 'optimum' combination of petrol and electric use :)
The battery lasts much longer at 60-65mph... I find I've adopted generally slower motorway driving these days, only takes a few minutes longer :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Me too. As a rule I sit at 63mph indicated (60mph accurate via GPS) on motorways and dual carriageways unless I'm travelling for an hour or more as otherwise it just takes forever to get to Cornwall ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts