Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Ampera almost 16 weeks (and 8000 miles) ago and whilst I've filled up with fuel 3 times (very happy about that), I've never filled up the washer bottle.... Does it have a VERY efficient wash system, an enormous reservoir or does it collects and re-cycle rainwater? (the last one would be good....)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I noticed this too! I use the washer almost daily (I hate having a dirty windscreen) and after 5000 miles and 5 months, I've just had to fill it up. It seems to use an extremely efficient spray, rather than just a powerful nozzle. Yet another way the Ampera saves energy compared to normal cars...

Reactions: John Alldritt

·
Registered
406 Posts
Filled it up three times especially before a longish trip.

Yes there is a warning when it gets low, it pops up in the DIC

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
456 Posts
I top off during my monthly checks, not too much needed though.

I will take a sample this weekend and check it does not freeze in the freezer at -18ºC. If it does I will add alcohol (IPA) until it doesn't. I once had to pull off the M6 at Carlisle with a frozen windscreen and washer when it was -20ºC outside, never again.

My PiP washer bottle holds four litres.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Found out why it's never told me that it's running low - it ran out this morning without any warnings :( so I guess the sensor's not working. Oh well, it's obvious when it's running low so I'll work it out myself :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Found out why it's never told me that it's running low - it ran out this morning without any warnings :( so I guess the sensor's not working. Oh well, it's obvious when it's running low so I'll work it out myself :)
Maybe there is no sensor.?
It could just be that we have assumed there was a warning for it, but in reality it doesn't exist .... ;)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Let's go with that reason :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Early up this thread @RayG mentions a warning in the DIC, not seen it myself yet though and only topped up twice in 18 months and 39k, Do you think the dealership actually topped it up when it was in for servicing?

·
otleyshev ( kev)
1,257 Posts
o yeh nissan leaf should follow in the foot steps of citroen c3.. with there washer bottle spray system in my two cs's

was great becouse when you press water what happens is just a cirtan amount of fine spray comes out it
is genius..... me thinks as every car that i have had in the past delivers watwer just like the nissan leaf ..

next time you see a c3 ask the owner you will be suprised ..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Topped mine up before it went in for 1st. year service right up to the brim. On service sheet stated topped up screen washer, I asked why did you top up the washers they were full to brim? Well its included in the price of the service they said, next thing they gave me a bottle of additive and said well put that in when it needs it..(I have a gallon of it at home) GT.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can't remember when I last filled the washer bottle in my old Saab - it lasted ages - probably filled it once a year if that! Got my Leaf in Jan - washer bottle empty (thanks Nissan!), filled it up to the top. Tried to wash the windscreen the other day and it was empty already - no warning :( The least they could do if they're going to put an inefficient wash system is is to give you a warning light.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Not in mine it didn't... it's no problem as it's very obvious as the jet sprays become somewhat lethargic, so it's easy to tell.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,909 Posts
It is an enormous washer bottle. It takes over a gallon. This is intentional, it means you can buy yourself a gallon premix and empty it completely, you don't need to have a half empty bottle kicking around the garage. Used moderately, it lasts a year.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I filled mine an hour before it went on a flat-bed for its second service. They still charged me for filling it up and the washer fluid used even though it had done less than 5 miles during the service. However when I got it back they hadn't even checked the airfilter which had dozens of leaves still crammed in the airbox.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,909 Posts
I insist on no fluid changes, which is the result of garages using a soluble powder in washer bottles some years back and having a few gunge up. I use only premixed washer fluid now. I might occasionally add a drop of methanol (very little needed to ensure minimum freezing temperature) but it's not easy stuff to get a hold of any more due to the nannies who don't want people to blind themselves with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts