Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This is a fantastic forum for trying to keep a track of the whole VW GTE order production halt situation, the factory delivery time thread has been great trying to get an idea of when orders will be caught up. It certainly has given more useful info than anyone at VW has this calendar year!
It seems that the majority of orders have caught up now and obviously there is the introduction of WLTP approved cars at the beginning of September which many will know for the VW group will have production delays as they cant get their models tested in time (seems some of the last GTE orders from before they closed order books in December 2017 will be approved for registration after September on 68 plate) so I am aware of that!
I am looking to see if anyone has an idea of when they feel it will come back on order. As the 2019 model year for VW group cars is released in September/October, does anyone have any more info on the GTE in particular? Whether it be the Golf or Passat as both have been taken off production for some while now. I had my Golf GTE Advance order was cancelled by my company's lease provider in December and I have been patiently waiting 8 months now to hear an update but we have heard absolutely nothing. Been left in the dark for so long!
Its very frustrating, as I can happily wait to get one, even if they said you can order from say November for example, at least there would be some clarity from VW!
Has anyone heard anything or know of the GTE being back on the order books in the UK any time soon?

Aaron

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Has anyone heard anything or know of the GTE being back on the order books in the UK any time soon?
I guess this must be the 99 Dollar question !.
When I spoke the the sales manager at my local VW branch ( I have his X Demo 2015 model BTW ).
He said :- "Don't expect the GTE to return until some time in 2019".
I would be looking to exchange mine now after 3 years, but the stop on orders have put a halt to that idea.

·
GTE Advance,Isaac Blue Steel,Keyless entry
252 Posts
The latest price list recently released gives some clue in as much as they state in it that no orders will be taken and all purchases must be from existing stock.

I was lucky and bought mine in June following a cancelled order that my dealer kept.

There have been suggestions that no more Golf GTEs will be produced at all but that is speculation.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,587 Posts
How long does it take to rebuild a production line to produce the ID instead of the GTEs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought it was linked to the Mk 8 Golf. VW say they have orders for GTEs to well into 2019, the Mk 8 reveal and order books will open soon as the first deliveries will be 2019 so makes sense they'll try and tie these up. That is assuming there is a mk 8 e-Golf / GTE.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Having read many articles, I suspect there is a strong chance the GTE badge may not feature in the future. I expect the MK8 GTI to have a hybrid function, and the ID range to cover all plug in options.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I doubt the mk7.5 GTE will re-surface again.

Pretty sure I've seen a VW 'roadmap' for the mk8 which included the GTE and the e-Golf because I can remember the article saying 70km range for the GTE and 300km for the e-Golf. It wasn't anything confirmed by VW tho.

Also saw an Autocar article quite recently which said there's a performance Golf in development with ICE drive to the front axle and an electric motor driving the rear. They didn't know what the model was but said maybe the new R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting stuff, yes it would be nice if they just could enlighten everyone on the whole situation but its VW were talking about here. There is the new golf GTI TCR coming out towards the end of the year, and I guess there will be plenty of demand for that much like there would be for re opening orders on GTE (they haven't stated yet its a limited order run the GTI TCR), yet with the way VW have messed up production for in demand vehicles you wonder why they would bother bringing an attractive model to market when they will soon replace the mk 7.5 golf.

If the GTE/hybrid golf doesn't return till the mk 8 you wonder why they pushed and advertised so much for the mk 7.5 GTE and how good it was when in the UK you could only order the GTE for 8 months out of its supposedly 2.5 year life. That would clearly be a move that has backfired badly on VW when orders get cancelled and people look at their competitors instead, its not great, they really have screwed up!.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts