Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In hybrid mode running on petrol, with gears in Drive, I notice sometimes when I lift off the accelerator, it maintains the speed I'm at and charges the battery a little, but when back on the accelerator it uses that charge straight away and then back to petrol engine. When braking it charges the battery.

With gears in B mode, whenever you lift off the accelerator it slows down significantly and charges the battery. (I think some people have said on here that below a certain speed it also puts on the brake lights)

In what situation do you drive with the gears in B? I don't understand when you would do this instead of using the regeneration that happens under braking in D.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use B to slow for bends and junctions/ vehicles braking for turns ahead etc. With your left arm on the arm rest it just takes a flick of the wrist on and off again as required. Obviously doesn't replace your brakes but is good for many non Mway situations, while recharging and saving brake wear too!

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,691 Posts
In hybrid mode running on petrol, with gears in Drive, I notice sometimes when I lift off the accelerator, it maintains the speed I'm at and charges the battery a little, but when back on the accelerator it uses that charge straight away and then back to petrol engine. When braking it charges the battery.

With gears in B mode, whenever you lift off the accelerator it slows down significantly and charges the battery. (I think some people have said on here that below a certain speed it also puts on the brake lights)

In what situation do you drive with the gears in B? I don't understand when you would do this instead of using the regeneration that happens under braking in D.
Many EVs are setup for '1 pedal driving', meaning that the car brakes when you take your foot off the accelerator. The VWs are designed to 'coast' in normal D mode, which some argue is actually more efficient than regenerative braking.

B mode is for those who like the alternative driving method, and it also useful for long downhill sections. I use it when coming up to a queue of traffic.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Please find below the posts I have previously made on the subject and the threads they are from.

I used to stick with B-mode most of the time as I was mostly town and country driving most of the time. However I found that I could maximise efficiency by coasting in D-mode when possible and then flicking into B-mode when I want to slow down which maximises regeneration and uses the brakes less. I also use B-mode in situations which suit one pedal driving better as I prefer the feel of it a bit like engine braking.

B mode v D mode

Getting the most out of B-mode

I thought it might be worth starting a discussion regarding B-mode.

I have a few observations of my own to share.
  1. Some say that for the most part you are better sticking to D mode as coasting is more efficient. However it is possible to keep the power needle at zero by depressing the accelerator slightly when you don't want to accelerate or slow down.
  2. Stating the obvious I use B-mode going down hills to gain maximum regeneration. I have noticed that braking in D-mode does not move the needle into green regeneration very quickly and seems to use the brakes earlier.
  3. I have found that I seem to get more regeneration of I use B-mode like an engine brake in a manual ICE car when approaching corners and stops.
  4. I now prefer to use B-mode in town and city traffic as well as windy country roads when there is near constant speeding up and slowing down with no opportunity to coast.
  5. When I engage ACC in B-mode it seems to just use the brakes to slow down rather than regeneration. It seems like the software is not clever enough to use regeneration at all as the needle stays at 0 when and the sound of the car is not one of regeneration when braking. I therefore avoid ACC when I want to maximise regeneration.
  6. The car won't do any regeneration when the battery is fully charged and one needs to remember it will therefore handle differently when slowing.
There are many people on this forum who have had their GTE a lot longer than me. I would be interested to hear your experience and thoughts on the subject.
This thread from last year has a few thoughts and discussion:

Getting the most out of B-mode

I now tend to use B-mode for most town and country road driving, but switch to D-mode if there are any long stretches where I can coast.

Another alternative I occasionally use, but I know some prefer is to change down a gear manually on the paddles which introduces regeneration, though not as harshly as B-mode.

I have also experimented with going fully manual changing down early to maximise regeneration. This gave slightly better mileage but driving was less relaxed so I don't do it very often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts