Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious about the use cases of this mode. It seems to be a shame to have a mode you never use that title already belongs to the 'Battery charge' mode.

I'd like to know your own use cases for GTE mode when and do you ever use it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use GTE mode for overtaking (assuming the engine is up to temperature already) and for getting up to speed on a bypass or motorway (because I'm a child at heart and find the blue boost gauge exciting)

I've actually used Battery Charge a few times in my cars tenure. Usually its on a motorway where the offset of 10 minutes at 35mpg rather than 45mpg is offset by being able to drive electrically at the end of the journey.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Basically agree 100% with @Gee Tulp Eee - use it in exactly the same way. The only other time I use GTE is on a particularly twisty / and or undulating A road where I appreciate the heavier steering and gentle regen when I come off the accelerator in GTE mode. If you don't cane it you basically get the same consumption as Hybrid mode in these situations.

I also use battery charge from time to time as for me tailpipe emissions in cities are just as big a concern as CO2 emissions overall. So if I haven't quite managed my battery life correctly I will use battery charge as I approach a town or city.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I use it very specifically to overtake on part of my commute where there is a short overtaking lane and often a slower car or truck climbing the hill. It is a lot of fun!

I let the engine run for a minute or two before asking for full power - to get oil circulating and the block a bit warmer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For the short lived "Devilment" moments when I want to blow away some slow people with an overtake. Or the rare roads that are free of cameras/traffic/police to get a slight buzz of what it was like in the Golf R 0-60 in 4.6s it replaced !!

Usually only last about 30s before my ECO (save on petrol) logic kicks back in :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
For the short lived "Devilment" moments when I want to blow away some slow people with an overtake. Or the rare roads that are free of cameras/traffic/police to get a slight buzz of what it was like in the Golf R 0-60 in 4.6s it replaced !!

Usually only last about 30s before my ECO (save on petrol) logic kicks back in :)
Yes, there was the time I drag raced a GTI at a set of traffic lights on the Oxford ring-road. Had him till about 40mph thanks to the immediate 100% torque, though he then came cruising past me... which didn't really matter as it is a 50mph speed limit and I had made my (childish) point :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, there was the time I drag raced a GTI at a set of traffic lights on the Oxford ring-road. Had him till about 40mph thanks to the immediate 100% torque, though he then came cruising past me... which didn't really matter as it is a 50mph speed limit and I had made my (childish) point :)
Done similar at traffic lights. My R was still a bit quicker even 0-30 than the GTE with its AWD (and not using launch control either).

I beat a Maserati Ghibli S in that :) even over 100mph until I realised speed & dropped down :-(

·
Registered
919 Posts
Done similar at traffic lights. My R was still a bit quicker even 0-30 than the GTE with its AWD (and not using launch control either).
Yeah, wouldn't even try with an R 🤣

·
Registered
196 Posts
I find it very economical when the battery is half depleted to switch to GTE mode, then it works just like mild hybrid (think Toyota) using mostly petrol but electricity at slow speeds and keeping spare energy to the battery to keep it at 50%. I've actually found it more economical than hybrid mode if I don't want to use all the battery.

·
GTE Advance,Isaac Blue Steel,Keyless entry
231 Posts
I find it very economical when the battery is half depleted to switch to GTE mode, then it works just like mild hybrid (think Toyota) using mostly petrol but electricity at slow speeds and keeping spare energy to the battery to keep it at 50%. I've actually found it more economical than hybrid mode if I don't want to use all the battery.
Exactly the same as my reasoning and I actually prefer the set up of the steering etc.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The only disadvantage I really see to GTE is that when coasting on the motorway (downhill for instance) it does not shut off the engine which means fuel consumption is a bit higher (although arguably not that much higher.)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
And folks, this thread neatly shows what a great car the GTE is ( nods to Passat owners ) . Thanks to all posting.

So many way to drive it, so many ways to smile.
The no fuel mode, at the Get There Earlier mode, and the Gawd this is as boring as a Prius mode.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Agree there isn't much difference in theory. But the increased throttle response and soundaktor sound effects do make it a little too tempting to have a heavy right foot in GTE mode for me which is why I often don't do it. And also hate the artificial engine noise when trying to drive in a relaxed manner, though love it when genuinely using GTE!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that when I am coasting in GTE mode the display changes to electric.
Not on the Mk7 at least, can't comment on the Mk7.5, but it doesn't shut the engine down when above 40 mph or so to maintain performance at speed. It declutches the engine, which reduces losses, but keeps the engine at the right speed to match the wheels so if you put your foot down it is available nearly immediately.

On regular hybrid the car keeps the engine off when coasting, at least up to 85 mph or so.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not on the Mk7 at least, can't comment on the Mk7.5, but it doesn't shut the engine down when above 40 mph or so to maintain performance at speed. It declutches the engine, which reduces losses, but keeps the engine at the right speed to match the wheels so if you put your foot down it is available nearly immediately.

On regular hybrid the car keeps the engine off when coasting, at least up to 85 mph or so.
I think you are right for the Mk7.5 too. And of course you can only see this if the ACC is on because there is no coasting in GTE mode, otherwise as regen kicks in

1 - 20 of 24 Posts