Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been down from York to Birmingham a couple of times without any trouble. A few weeks ago I was surprised to find the charger at Tibshelf north-bound was giving electricity away free! So I picked Tibshelf this last weekend, alas this time it was business are usual. Does this happen a fair bit? Is ecotricity operating a bonus system? Or does it result from some kind of malfunction?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've been down from York to Birmingham a couple of times without any trouble. A few weeks ago I was surprised to find the charger at Tibshelf north-bound was giving electricity away free! So I picked Tibshelf this last weekend, alas this time it was business are usual. Does this happen a fair bit? Is ecotricity operating a bonus system? Or does it result from some kind of malfunction?
there was some maintenance a while back which put the machines on free vend for the weekend, otherwise when it communications are down defaults to free vend

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Last few times I've used Scotch Corner the left charger has been on free vend so either I'm very lucky or it's a fairly common thing. Those journeys were spread over a couple of months too.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
As a rule, if an EH post cannot communicate with its back-end, it reverts to Free Vend mode (display asks you which connector you wish to use, rather than asking you to use the app) until communication is restored. In free vend mode, anyone passing can stop a charge as there is no way of identifying who started the charge.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a rule, if an EH post cannot communicate with its back-end, it reverts to Free Vend mode (display asks you which connector you wish to use, rather than asking you to use the app) until communication is restored. In free vend mode, anyone passing can stop a charge as there is no way of identifying who started the charge.
Mobile network jamers anyone? :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Since charge for charging came in I have had around 15 free vends and 1 "1 kWh" only fee from 45 or so charges, with the move to pay per kWh, I have now also had sessions where I only needed to pay connection and the 1st kWh, as the unit could connect to HQ but it couldn't count to 11. This is why they can't do complex billing from the DBT units. So even though people moan about £6-7 charge sessions, I guess my running average is more like £3-4.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I am not sure the pumps use Wifi or Cell Data to connect to the back end. All the pumps I have used have a red line through the Wifi symbol, when there is a red line through the world icon, they seem to be on free vend. I always thought they were on a wired network of some kind.
It’s very rare, if ever, that they have the WiFi backoffice connection, it’s usually a cellular connection. They don’t seem to have a fixed line either.
I know it was a tongue in cheek/joke but I would advise against trying to defeat the connection as it’s not only illegal but in the case of the cellular jammers it could impact other services or emergency phone calls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts