Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did my first public charging as an experiment. It didn't go well & I don't want a repetition. The place we chose was Donington Services on the M1 next to East Midlands Airport. We chose that because, whilst looking after our grandson for the day we took him to watch airplanes at EMA. So we bought him a iced lolly at the services and charged.

Before we start the report we noticed that someone had badly scraped the front of our car whilst leaving their session watching airplanes. Our guess was a Juke car, but we don't know.

Yesterday's sunshine was bright and we could hardly read the display making the station pretty useless - even if it worked! The two vertical rows of buttons felt meaningless and the ecotricity app gave me know idea what their purpose in life was, though it was clear that three buttons had been pressed a lot.

Whatever I had the electric highway app installed and that told me one of the stations (DC) was out of action, and so we headed for the AC station. Not being worried about whatever charge was delivered it was more about the experience rather than the rate of charge.

So we plugged in. Well I say we plugged in - getting the connector physically in was difficult. My wife did it with a fair amount of brute force, which in hindsight... But my wife is a determined person.

Continuing the process on the app the station eventually started charging. I noticed the rate of charge varied from tolerable to rubbish, spending more time in the rubbish zone methinks. Whatever we headed off to get the ice lolly. And so a while later came back to check progress. It was still charging, but crawling would be a better description. Probably not much difference to this than a 13amp mains socket!

Meanwhile a driver in a kia soul ev turned up and promptly plugged into the DC charger. He said we should ignore the report that the DC charger wasn't working because it was and was on free vend. Apparently the Leicester Forest services Ecotricity points are very much the same! He regularly stops at both/either and never fails to get a free vend at DC speeds - despite these stations being officially out of action.

Anyway my goal was about the experience and not worrying about getting any charge. Well actually I didn't get much charge - in the 30 minutes or whatever I spent a grand total of £1.08. Won't be wasting my time there again!

And finally we came to extract that cable. What a palava that turned out to be. Ended up watching a video on youtube about how to get oneself out of a sticky hole. Press down was the secret. My guess is next time I will remove both top Type 2 and CSS plastic covers and see if extracting myself from the depths of Ecotricity might become any better.

If you want to call me stupid for even trying Ecotricity, please do!

·
Registered
Kona 64
556 Posts
Well I could call you S***** but you have to experience Ecofreakery to know so you are let off.

You are now a fully paid up member. I often call into LFE on the M1 when passing on my way to a volunteering job, I just pop in to see if its on free vend. The display changes when it looses connection with the mothership. You would I am sure of got a free charge if you had just plugged into the CCS. I will try and find a photo of what the screen looks like.

·
Registered
17,460 Posts
Really?

You’ll be telling us that the Pope has an accessible structure extending from a building next!
I’m looking into this one. I hear he has some religious tendencies. Just waiting for confirmation of which sect he belongs to.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I would love to know what on earth that means! 🤷‍♂️:unsure::)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts