Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Read Only
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So living in the country side I am mainly driving on national speed limit roads until I hit villages which is either 30/40 mph. My question is when is the best time to turn eco mode on? When I'm driving a long distance or when I am in town? What does everyone do? Do you just leave it on all the time?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,986 Posts
I leave it on all the time. Means double the benefit when you do get used to using the throttle efficiently because there's more travel in lower power zones, and it's perfectly quick enough for even motorways. Also means you know you've always got power in reserve for when you want to have some fun or do that tricky overtake.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Whenever you want. Although I think I heard somewhere that it does reduce the power used by heater/aircon? Can't find a source or prove that though, my understanding of the air con/heater is that it does what it wants, when it wants anyway. It's a law unto itself.

eco mode...

- I used to use it to stop myself feeling travel sick as the throttle on normal mode can be aggressive if coming from a slow petrol hatchback. However I've adjusted so this isn't a problem anymore.
- I still find eco does save electricity when going up hills because if you're in normal mode you can quite happily go up to say 6-8 balls of power ("BALLS OF POWER!") whereas in eco you'll drag the car up with 4.
- eco mode is not good if wanting to go >60 on a motorway, it dampens the throttle too much. Fine if following a lorry at 55-60 though I find, but still personal choice.
- not recommended if racing.
- definitely I use eco mode if I'm trying to get every last drop out of the battery, 70 mile journeys without stops for example.
- personally I would turn it off on country lanes as I like a responsive throttle out of bends, the leaf is not terribly graceful round corners so you have to slow down in and accelerate out. Again depends if you can "afford" the electric for that style of driving at the time.

I turn it on and off at a whim, I cant see any obvious difference in actual economy - the way you drive affects economy more, but it does affect the way you drive so the benefit is secondary.

Contrary to popular belief eco mode DOES limit maximum power. Put your foot down in eco mode and count the balls, the last two will never light up. In reality though how often do you ever use that much power other than traffic light shennanigans?

·
2,986 Posts
Contrary to popular belief eco mode DOES limit maximum power. Put your foot down in eco mode and count the balls, the last two will never light up. In reality though how often do you ever use that much power other than traffic light shennanigans?
Yes, it basically changes the throttle response so the travel is shared over three fewer bubbles. You can still get the last three by pushing harder on the accelerator last the stop point.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
You should avoid using Eco or B mode, as accelerating and then regenerating is just inefficient - converting energy either way can't be 100% efficient. Try driving without either so that you develop the technique to cruise down in speed towards the next obstacle - knock it into B temporarily if you need to lose speed e.g. approaching a roundabout. Forget Eco - just take it easy on the throttle and if you are seriously short on range then turn the heater/aircon off.

·
2,986 Posts
You should avoid using Eco or B mode, as accelerating and then regenerating is just inefficient - converting energy either way can't be 100% efficient. Try driving without either so that you develop the technique to cruise down in speed towards the next obstacle - knock it into B temporarily if you need to lose speed e.g. approaching a roundabout. Forget Eco - just take it easy on the throttle and if you are seriously short on range then turn the heater/aircon off.
Thing is, in the real world with traffic and not necessarily predictable surroundings, the ideal way of driving is rarely possible (or is going to really annoy someone), so Eco and B modes provide a level of compromise where you get most of the benefit and lose most of the drawbacks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Indeed. In urban driving which is basically my life, the only cruising available is for a bruising...lol

On motorway I've had good success kicking into Deco and following the nearest lorry.

Interestingly even D has quite notable regenerative braking. The only time you don't have regen at all is when fully charged and only then do you realise how heavy the car really is!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Never. Ugh.

Okay, seriously,I occasionally use it when coasting to a stop when I want a little more regen but B would be too much.
Other than that, never, it doesn't actually seem to add any real range (in my experience).

·
2,986 Posts
Never. Ugh.

Okay, seriously,I occasionally use it when coasting to a stop when I want a little more regen but B would be too much.
Other than that, never, it doesn't actually seem to add any real range (in my experience).
It might add a mile or a few, which just goes to show how little you are going to get extra by trying to coast everywhere!

But one of the main reasons I use Eco B as my standard mode is because it makes it quite significantly easier to drive extremely smoothly at almost every speed - the throttle response in Normal mode is very twitchy, which is great when that's what you want but not when you just want a nice, smooth, calm journey.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,744 Posts
But one of the main reasons I use Eco B as my standard mode is because it makes it quite significantly easier to drive extremely smoothly at almost every speed - the throttle response in Normal mode is very twitchy, which is great when that's what you want but not when you just want a nice, smooth, calm journey.
I half agree but find that Eco is far too restrictive. I one pedal drive in B on urban and main roads and D on motorways where coasting is more appropriate than regen slowing. They could leave Eco off altogether in the next version for me.

·
Read Only
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At the moment it just seems to be personal preference for people? I thought if I keep it in eco mode driving up hills (making me put my foot down more than usual if I wasn't in eco) etc it would be effecting the battery. Not sure why it popped to mind but thank you for all of your responses and I apologise for the stupid questions. New leaf owner and just want to get the best out of the car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,744 Posts
I thought if I keep it in eco mode driving up hills (making me put my foot down more than usual if I wasn't in eco) etc it would be effecting the battery.k
The car will use exactly the same energy to climb a hill whatever mode it's in - if the same rate of climb is driven in each case. It's Newtons Laws at work.

You will find that Eco is just a means of encouraging, or forcing drivers to be more gentle with the accelerator pedal. But as it only increases overall range by a few miles I find it most annoying and detracts a lot from the enjoyment of the EV drive system. It really shouldn't be necessary for such an artificial aid to control an otherwise heavy right foot. And that extra range can just as easily be gained by driving correctly - without being forced to do that by the application of treacle to the drive.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The car will use exactly the same energy to climb a hill whatever mode it's in - if the same rate of climb is driven in each case. It's Newtons Laws at work.
The thing with an electric car is that its efficiency drops significantly with increased speed. The optimal way to drive on hills therefore is to use your initial speed only without additional power until you reach optimal speed which on the leaf is as slow as possible down to about 4mph, aiming to hit the peak of the hill at exactly zero mph to then accelerate down the hill to gain as much speed again to enter the next hill. Or basically to emulate a roller coaster.

In reality this is a good way to get banned from driving, however it's worth knowing as the closer you drive to this ideal, within reason, the more efficient you can get.

TL: DR; version: it's more efficient to ease off and arrive at the top of a hill at a lower speed (right down to pretty much zero in theory).

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,744 Posts
The thing with an electric car is that its efficiency drops significantly with increased speed. The optimal way to drive on hills therefore is to use your initial speed only without additional power until you reach optimal speed which on the leaf is as slow as possible down to about 4mph, aiming to hit the peak of the hill at exactly zero mph to then accelerate down the hill to gain as much speed again to enter the next hill. Or basically to emulate a roller coaster.

In reality this is a good way to get banned from driving, however it's worth knowing as the closer you drive to this ideal, within reason, the more efficient you can get.

TL: DR; version: it's more efficient to ease off and arrive at the top of a hill at a lower speed (right down to pretty much zero in theory).
It's anal quotes like this that get all EV drivers laughed at. Petrol heads reading that would have great fun in the pub with his mates as he describes how you must drive an EV in order to get home. The vast majority of EV drivers just drive their cars exactly as they have always driven. Such extreme techniques are for the anorak driver and in any case will only save them a couple of quid a year anyway.

New drivers to an EV must be told to just enjoy the smooth silent power and not stress about such things as shaving a few watts from every trip. We are a fringe group amongst drivers in the first place so please don't make us into some kind of cult.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
But one of the main reasons I use Eco B as my standard mode is ...
The problem there is that the normal variation in throttle position, or even changes in inclination of the road will result in alternate power/regen/power/regen which is wasteful unless you continuously watch the dash to correct for it.

I accept that you do need regen sometimes, as you describe, and I'll hold my hand on the gear puck to kick in B mode as late as possible when approaching roundabouts in the hope that I can drop it and coast round when I can see the traffic on the roundabout. I've tried Eco and always given up with it - I can't have the hassle of the button moving around when I want it and sometimes finding myself with no power when I need it. In any case, it always appears to me that I can do better than Eco mode with careful throttle use, selective use of B mode for braking and managing the heating/aircon consumption manually.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts