Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dipped beam failed on my Ampera. I visited wilco and they produced a lamp 20 quid please. I said" for that price I would expect something improved on standard ". We can order 100% more light for 30 quid, OK says me. Next morning, you can collect your lamps.
Xenonmax is the product. These are not HID lamps as the name would imply. Do the tungsten lamps have some Xenon in them? It is a halogen I seem to remember from school chemistry.

I notice that some manufacturers are now adding laser to spice up the name

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,713 Posts
Although it says your 'Dipped beam' has failed it is just a single filament bulb with a mechanical shutter that moves to block some of the beam resulting in a dipped pattern so in fact both dipped and main beam would not be working on that side. I think the Xenon is just the inert gas within the bulb, it might allow the filament to be brighter. I would suggest changing both bulbs at the same time as one will be brighter than the other and keep the old one as a spare.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Can't say I agree with this "it's illegal but I'll swap them for the MOT" mentality. It's pretty damn appalling IMO. Why don't we just use racing slicks in the summer? Hope none of you complain about excessive exhaust noises on boy racers.

·
Registered
677 Posts
True, but LEDs may not be either and both will pass an MOT
I have HIDs and have gone through 3 MOTs with them in without an issue.
Can't say I agree with this "it's illegal but I'll swap them for the MOT" mentality.
Not sure I agree either, nor am I sure why you thought anyone has suggested to do so.
The only inference I can see is that either MOT testers can't tell the difference, or they don't care.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
@Garry TheBiz So you didn't suggest illegally fitting HIDs but keeping the spare bulbs just in case for the MOT?

You will get a much better light using HIDs or LEDs. I have HIDs and have gone through 3 MOTs with them in without an issue. As @h8ten said, keep your original bulb(s) so to swap back if you ever need to, that's what I've done.

·
Registered
357 Posts
No need to get personal here. The headlight issue has been discussed in great depth on here to everyones betterment. We are all entitled to make our own decisions as to what to do and it's useful to hear others ideas and experiences.

The reason the technical legality of HID's or LED's in this car is not the major issue it might be in other cars has been discussed before (the headlight design with a clear cut off - does not blind other drivers at all etc etc)

·
Registered
677 Posts
No I I did't suggest swapping them for the MOT at all.

I suggested keeping them in case it fails it's MOT and you have to revert to using the originals, I mean, what else would you do if it fails - call it a day and scrap it? Of course you'd swap them back, and having the originals saves you having to buy a new pair. What you do after the re-test is up to you and your conscience.

However, as I've said I've had 3 MOT's with them in and had no issue. Others seems to suggest they've had a similar experience.

My original post was to comment that HID's or LED's give significantly improved illumination over the original bulbs, which many consider to be dangerously poor. It's simply advice, to be taken in the knowledge that aftermarket HID's fitted to cars that didn't come factory fitted are illegal, and should (but probably won't) result in an MOT failure. Armed with this knowledge, it's up to every owner to make their own choices on safety concerning poor visibility vs. the legality of having adequate lighting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
So long as the beam cutoff is ok, there is no specific mechanism for an MOT tester to fail a car for being presented with HIDs. It is a technical / CE marking issue AFAIK

Reactions: Rory166

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,713 Posts
Rules and regulations here. Basically they need to be HID headlamps not just bulbs and must have headlamp cleaning and be either self-levelling or the vehicle has self-levellingsuspension. So it may fail an MOT if the tester notices that they are HIDs, they tend to take a fraction of a second to illuminate, the start-up is very bright for a split second and then dim to normal brightness. I can't see anything regarding LED bulbs but then they are relatively new to the aftermarket fitment.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
If the light comes on and isn’t pointing at the sky it will pass an mot. Whether it’s road legal or safe is a different matter. There are plenty of demonstrations of why it’s a bad idea and how the beam pattern is adversely affected by incorrect lamps. Some projector style fittings will be ok. Reflectors will not. Those who have convinced themselves their illegal lights are better will do what they do.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
If the light comes on and isn’t pointing at the sky it will pass an mot.
That's categorically wrong. The MOT tester instructions have been updated to check for HIDs being retrofitted without the correct light fitting, they look for the warm up time. Xenon's and LEDs don't have this so they're more difficult to detect.

An MOT tester has no powers to open your bonnet. A Police Officer can and ticket you for illegal light modifications on HID, Xenon and LED regardless of if you passed an MOT moments before.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
That's categorically wrong. The MOT tester instructions have been updated to check for HIDs being retrofitted without the correct light fitting, they look for the warm up time. Xenon's and LEDs don't have this so they're more difficult to detect.

An MOT tester has no powers to open your bonnet. A Police Officer can and ticket you for illegal light modifications on HID, Xenon and LED regardless of if you passed an MOT moments before.
Interesting. Shame this isn’t easily done for LEDs. I suppose my point, made many times before, is a car passing an MOT does not mean the modified lights are not worse than the original spec.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,803 Posts
Again, and without getting on a high horse, the issue for modifications like this will come if you’re ever unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious accident.

If your vehicle is found to be unroadworthy you may find yourself being prosecuted or your insurer declining your cover, the latter of which could be ruinous.

A test to apply is whether you’d be happy to inform your insurer about your light modifications/fitting of non CE marked bulbs. If not, then you’ve got your answer.

There are legal ways to upgrade vehicle lighting, it’s not always about eBay LEDs or aftermarket HID kits.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Again, and without getting on a high horse, the issue for modifications like this will come if you’re ever unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious accident.

If your vehicle is found to be unroadworthy you may find yourself being prosecuted or your insurer declining your cover, the latter of which could be ruinous.

A test to apply is whether you’d be happy to inform your insurer about your light modifications/fitting of non CE marked bulbs. If not, then you’ve got your answer.

There are legal ways to upgrade vehicle lighting, it’s not always about eBay LEDs or aftermarket HID kits.
Unfortunately, it goes beyond that as poorly managed vehicles lights impact other drivers far more than they affect yourself. You might never be aware of the driver you blinded that subsequently crashed.

I appreciate that the fall-back position on this for many is the somewhat unique design of the Ampera lights (for better or for worse).

So if you're happy to drive your car with an illegal modification that might affect other drivers because someone on a forum said "it's okay, we're special", then carry on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.