Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve gotten into the habit of putting the Leaf on charge as soon as I get home from work. I travel 30 miles per day and use 22-25% battery. So I park up, check how long to 75%, add an hour, and plug her in. Next day, she has 80-81% battery, as if by magic. That’s all great, but.....would it be better for the battery, to time it so that the charge ends at 06:30 (my commute departure time) so that the battery would be ‘warmed up’, especially as Winter’s approaching?

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
1,007 Posts
I'm not sure if you'd notice an improved lifetime for the battery as you are already treating it gently. Certainly won't do any harm. Probably worth charging to 100% once a month if the Leaf needs that to balance the cells.

But you will benefit from slightly longer range if you set off with a warmer battery, so could be worthwhile doing what you propose just for that.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
753 Posts
I’ve gotten into the habit of putting the Leaf on charge as soon as I get home from work. I travel 30 miles per day and use 22-25% battery. So I park up, check how long to 75%, add an hour, and plug her in. Next day, she has 80-81% battery, as if by magic. That’s all great, but.....would it be better for the battery, to time it so that the charge ends at 06:30 (my commute departure time) so that the battery would be ‘warmed up’, especially as Winter’s approaching?
Definitely! ending an hour or so earlier even it will still retain most of the charging heat and provide for a more efficient drive. Also, good for the grid as you'll be pulling electrons when there is a surplus rather than in the evening when there is high demand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.