Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
This is my first winter with an i3, picked up a set of blizzak winter wheels earlier in the year, when is the optimum time to put them on?
Have done a bit of googling and answers vary from October to when temp drops below 7°\5°\ first frost.

Any recommendations?
Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
It depend on whether you have summer or all season tyres as standard, where you are in the UK and what type of winter we have The standard Ecopia EP500 is an all season tyre so the Blizzaks probably only offer you a significant advantage on snow. So if you are on the south coast you don't need them at all but if you are in Aberdeenshire then late October might be a good guess.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Hi
This is my first winter with an i3, picked up a set of blizzak winter wheels earlier in the year, when is the optimum time to put them on?
Have done a bit of googling and answers vary from October to when temp drops below 7°\5°\ first frost.

Any recommendations?
Cheers
Best to change them over on the 40th as per universal HHGTTU advise.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well I live on the south coast and in my opinion putting winter tyres on down here is an overkill. That said I don’t drive it like I stole it. Perhaps if you do and you are out in the coldest parts of the day you’ll have a different opinion.
The retail tyre business has really pushed winter tyres the past few years and of course they have an interest in doing so. Funny how we all managed without them in the past when wheels were commonly the same width (or narrower) than an i3.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Winter tyres need storing carefully, badly stored tyres will negate any safety benefit. Our winters are generally mild and wet, they offer less braking and steering performance in heavy rain conditions which you are far more likely to encounter in the winter in the UK than snow and ice and unusually wet winter events (when you really do want maximum tyre performance are often also caused by unusually warm wet air being pulled over the gulf stream.

Most of the advice you will see online is from sources with an interest in selling you a 2nd set of tyres or regurtated advice from those same sources.

There is no denying that winter tyres offer vastly superior performance when its icy or low single digit temperatures but there's considerable overalap in the margins above that. Bear in mind it really isn't that uncommon for temperatures to reach double digits in the UK even in the depths of winter at which point summer tyres are suddenly significantly safer again.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a solid case to be made for winter tyres, especially for drivers who live in rural areas and who might regularly drive on untreated roads, but when you consider the negative effect of winter tyres on road noise and range and ironically in many situations safety, along with the additional cost of storage and fitting, for those of us who live and drive around towns and cities (which many if not most of us EV owners do) they are not really worth either the effort or expense of buying or fitting.

For those of you lucky enough to have two sets of tyres I'd actually recommend summer and cross climate tyres, or for those who are concerned and who dont want to swap, cross climate all year round.

I am now being flippant, but there's a also a parallel observation to be made about winter tyre advocates to ICE drivers worried about the anual trip to aunt Martha's at the other end of the country ....

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Having been a winter tyre devotee for some years I have now switched to cross climate. What swung it for me was finding Goodyear A rated roll resistance cross climate.
The recent winters here in Norfolk have been a non event snow wise. Changing wheels twice a year looses it's novelty after a while. Plus it's a bad feeling being cougt out with the wrong tyres when there is a sudden unseasonal weather event.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They need no more care in storage than any other tyres.

How to store winter tyres
Winter tyres should be stored in a cool, dry place, stacked on top of one another and away from direct sunlight and heat sources to prevent the rubber from degrading.

They offer better wet weather performance, especially clearing standard water.

Do winter tyres make any difference in the rain?
Yes, a huge difference. In fact, they will improve the braking, traction and overall grip of your car at any temperature below 7deg Celsius – even in the dry. In the wet, meanwhile, the difference is like chalk and cheese.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,823 Posts
Hi

Any recommendations?
Cheers
Errrr ...trick question?!

If you are asking when to regard winter as having arrived, it used to snow quite often in the last week of Oct or first week of Nov. Hasn't done this for a few years now but I used to put them on in 3rd week of Oct and leave them on until two weeks after they stopped salting the road and it had rained a couple of times.

The former; in case it snowed in those weeks. The latter; so that the rain would do a first top wash of the salt off the wheels.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
753 Posts
I wouldn’t like to predict the weather, seems like it is getting warmer but also much more erratic. So chances are I could get away without winter tyres and many days actually be marginally safer on summers. Flip side is the possibility of a cold snap or two when everything grinds to a halt. Having one car in the family equipped with winters is reassuring.
First time I’ve actually invested in a set of winters as it’s the first time I’ve had a RWD car for decades. Even in the mild winters we’ve had the past few years an inch or so of snow and the neighbours in their rwd beemers and mercs are all over the place on the slightest of hills. Having said that winter 2015 I was in a Mini Cooper S, fwd but useless in the snow. Even with traction off the system would kill power as soon as the wheels spun. Only time I’ve ever been stuck in snow, I got rid of it before the next winter.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I used to swap to winters when I had a RWD bmw as it simply wouldn’t move on anything icy or snowy otherwise. 1 Dec to 1 Mar usually. I rapidly came to the conclusion that it’s easier to just keep a crappy old 4wd rat rod in the garage which can handle bad weather and doesn’t care if it skids into something. It gets MOTed and taxed for the winter and laid up mostly otherwise. It‘s got cheap 4x4 tyres on it. It’s actually quite liberating going back to driving something which you don’t care about parking in a supermarket. You know you‘ve chilled when you don’t mind chucking your electric sander on to the bonnet :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.