Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised that the increase in windscreen-mounted journey video cameras has not prompted manufacturers to put a source of power at ceiling level near the mirror, where there is usually power anyway to feed interior lights etc.
I am now faced with the task of running a long cable from the mirror area across the top of the windscreen, down the left hand side, around the fascia and down under the glove box and into the central power outlet (used to be called a cigar lighter!) .
I have bought a selection of small, black, self-adhesive cable clips to make it as neat as possible, but it is far from ideal.
Has anyone solved this problem on a Leaf?
I also note that the area of the windscreen that detects rain in the centre, is knobbly and prevents suction devices being fixed. This prevents me hiding the cam behind the mirror.

So NISSAN - Please note, in the next model put a USB connector on the ceiling console!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I agree - I think they will start doing this. And I think they'll start offering "dash cam mirrors", with the camera built into the rear-view mirror.

My Ampera has 3 12volt power points - 1 on the top of the dash in a recess, 1 in the arm rest, and 1 in the back for passengers.

I have a dash cam, and it's powered from the power point in the top of the dashboard. The power lead is visible only for about 6 inches, and is then recessed around the windscreen, all the way to the camera, behind the mirror. It was a self-fit, and it doesn't look bad. That dashboard power socket could also be used for a sat nav if you didn't have the built-in one I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts