Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

When you use a public charger, what's the average amount of kWh you put in?

• 0-5kWh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-10kWh

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 10-20kWh

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • 20-40kWh

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • 40-60kWh

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • 60kWh+

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to see the distrubtion, whether the average charge is for a splash n dash, or something fuller.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The results are going to be skewed, depending upon whether only long distance travellers using a rapid respond, or just people who go along to their local Tesco to do their shopping, and plug in for 45 minutes on a free Pod Point 7kW charger.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I excluded the 7kW chargers at Lidl/Tesco as they are free, and likelihood of use if more than 10ppkWh would be very low.

10-20kWh into a 38kWh Ioniq.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
381 Posts
Normally I use the one at my workplace, once a week, while I work. I don’t have a charger at home.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,026 Posts
Another 'skewing' factor is the cars' battery size. In my Ioniq 28 I tend to stop at 20% for a fill and unplug at 80% so that's a max of 17 kWh's on that vote scale.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,625 Posts
When I did charge publicly it was around 40kWh but now I am working from home and currently not travelling anywhere that needs more than a fullish charge to get there and back I just charge at home.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
The amount I put in is whatever I need, plus a bit! 🙂

I’m not sure that helps, but I don’t really ever put in more than I need, as it costs way more than at home.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
I haven’t a clue, I don’t measure it, and use public charging very rarely

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
646 Posts
I'm one of those boring people who has it all in a spreadsheet, so I can tell you that the arithmetic mean is 15.07, with a standard deviation of 10.93 the median is 13.13 and the mode is 5, cos it put 5kWh in twice ;-)

Shorter answer would be - same as Tooks. As much as I need, plus a bit more for good measure! More if it's free/ cheap/ fast/ somewhere pleasant, otherwise as little as possible.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm one of those boring people who has it all in a spreadsheet, so I can tell you that the arithmetic mean is 15.07, with a standard deviation of 10.93 the median is 13.13 and the mode is 5, cos it put 5kWh in twice ;-)

Shorter answer would be - same as Tooks. As much as I need, plus a bit more for good measure! More if it's free/ cheap/ fast/ somewhere pleasant, otherwise as little as possible.
Absolutely love the precision! Very wide SD - I wonder if you've got a bit of a bi-modal distribution based on whether you're just topping up or going further and need the full charge.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
381 Posts
In the last 6 months my average is 21.08kWh from a total of 32 sessions (I don’t have home charger).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I don’t have a home charger too. So I tend to go from about 30% to full, using the cheapest local charger at a time when I won’t block other users too much.

So today I used the local Asda, charged 43KWh - cost £1.20. Felt a little guilty at one point because there are 4 bays and 2 chargers, when I started all 4 were free, when I went back 1 had packed up - so there was only 1 spare. But given that BP Pulse lady told me that post was last used 2 weeks ago - I think it’s unlikely to have stopped too many people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts