Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm struggling to find a place to mount my phone in the centre of the car without blocking buttons or the screen! What are people's solution to this? I've looked at a few vent mounts but are there any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
In my pocket! Auto connects to the radio and starts playing my music via bluetooth, if a call comes through I answer it from the steering wheel - shouldn't be faffing about with the phone while driving anyway.

Since my first phone that was even worth mounting in a car (Probably 2007!) I've bought probably 10 different mounts, they get used for a few weeks then I realise I'm just added extra steps to driving and I never need to look at or touch it while driving anyway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main use here is as a screen for directions from Google maps. This is because Android auto doesn't work for me with respect to music as i use Amazon music so prefer the echo auto.

Of course one should never use their phone while driving, that goes without saying.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I leave it in charging slot connected by cable to USB for android auto and media.
Voice is by Bluetooth so there is no need to mount it on dash.
Same here. I use a second phone without a sim card for OBD2 data and Torque Pro. It's mounted on the vent to the left of the infotainment screen (LH drive in USA).

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
Plugged into the usb port whilst placed (upside down) in the wireless charging area (mine doesn't wirelessly charge), hooked up to Car Play.

I haven't mounted a phone since my Nokia 6510 days 17 years ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all,

I'm struggling to find a place to mount my phone in the centre of the car without blocking buttons or the screen! What are people's solution to this? I've looked at a few vent mounts but are there any recommendations?

Thanks
Hi all,

Thanks
I brought this from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTEK-Hol...qid=1613730153&sprefix=vent+cup+holder&sr=8-5

Hold a cup and phone at the front. Clips feel a bit weak but I assume they need to be flexible enough to hook onto the vent in the first place.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I was going to buy a Brodit mount for the centre console, the. Realised I don’t use/need the phone when I’m driving. I used to use it for satnav but this is now in the car and anything else I might need is available through Apple car play.
I’m going to save the money and just use the wireless charger section .

·
Registered
620 Posts
I either plug it in and leave it in the bottom tray or keep it in my pocket. I haven't yet needed to use the wireless charger.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
199 Posts
I have to admit, I’ve not felt the need to mount my phone and just leave it in the wireless charger as the car. I have an iPhone but yet to really use any of the carplay stuff as I think the car does a decent job on its own with the other integrated features.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The main use here is as a screen for directions from Google maps. This is because Android auto doesn't work for me with respect to music as i use Amazon music so prefer the echo auto.

Of course one should never use their phone while driving, that goes without saying.
You can use Amazon Music through Android Auto.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
909 Posts
I don’t like the wireless charging 'cave' shelf. It bakes the phone too much after a while. It gets way too hot down there IMO. I can’t see the phone and I tend to forget it when I get out (yes I know it warns you but I still forgot often). I prefer google maps but dislike Apple car play. I also prefer my music and films etc played from a very small USB stick left permanently in the centre USB. The right USB powers the wireless charger pad in the phone holder. The cigar power receptacle powers my Garmin dashcam.

So I got one of these mounts and found it fits securely low down from the windscreen to the right of the steering wheel. It can hold phone or tablet (iPad), portrait or landscape so is useful when playing with OBD car scanner etc. I added a wireless charging pad to it and 3D printed a drop in phone holder so it’s super quick and easy to place or pick up the phone. The car Bluetooth connects automatically so is all very convenient for hands free phone operation.

The mount in situ. The whole thing is very adjustable yet still quite strong

My 3D printed drop in phone holder with QI charging pad

With phone in situ (iPhone SE2020)

One snag is that with the remarkably brisk Eniro acceleration, if I really give it full beans sometimes the phone becomes airborne :eek: (it is a work in progress). If I drive with a little more sanity it stays put just fine.

Peter

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,132 Posts
Yes, thanks @prawlin - I may have a look into that mount for my Kona.

Do you find that it is much better than a vent mount - ie is it further away from the vent so that the phone doesn’t get blasted by hot air in winter?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
909 Posts
Yes, thanks @prawlin - I may have a look into that mount for my Kona.

Do you find that it is much better than a vent mount - ie is it further away from the vent so that the phone doesn’t get blasted by hot air in winter?
Well I’ve never used a vent mount so it’s hard to say, and with the lockdowns I’ve not driven that much since fitting it. As you can see it is in front of the vent but possibly a bit further away than a vent mount would have been? The vent can be directed towards the side window or even turned off if need be. The arm thingy is fully bendable with a ball swivel at the phone end, yet it is quite strong and retains its set position well. Also, in my case, the drop in mount largely shields the phone from the direct hot air stream.

I would have probably gone for a central position but didn’t want to obscure the big screen, so it was Hobson’s choice. I initially got it for the 10.5” iPad and it works well for that. However I don’t want iPad there unless I’m playing with car scanner stuff which mostly I’m not. Peter

Reactions: Bill N

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,132 Posts
Yeah I think it’s the distance from the vent that helps as you can then still have the vent on but more easily direct the air past the phone. In summer of course, a vent mount is actually quite helpful as it keeps the phone nice and cool and prevents overheating.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts