Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

Registered
40 Leaf
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we all have local charge points, but where are they lacking?

Where do you go to regularly and think, we could really use charge points here!

What type of points do we need most and where, destination, rapid??

Supermarkets, right by the front door! 馃槈

Or does it not matter because we鈥檙e all charging overnight at home?

Registered
personally think we need more chargers that are slow/with more bays. Such as a small car park where you pay for example 拢1-2-3 per hour but theres "free" 3/7kw chargers there where you can leave your car plugged all day.
I find it that it sucks when i do work 100 miles away from home and cant charge while i work because all chargers have a max stay of 45-90 min.

Registered
ONTO/Evezy 拢50 Code: CADA7
My local area joined the craze for new rapid chargers and there's now an unreasonable amount of them dotted around to the point where I feel any more would be a huge waste of money. Unfortunately going by the continued planning applications flooding in it looks like these companies disagree with me.

I want to see money spent on rows of 3kW posts at long stay parking places. Things like train stations, park and rides, car parks near offices and factories where people would be staying to work all day etc.

Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
personally think we need more chargers that are slow/with more bays. Such as a small car park where you pay for example 拢1-2-3 per hour but theres "free" 3/7kw chargers there where you can leave your car plugged all day.
I find it that it sucks when i do work 100 miles away from home and cant charge while i work because all chargers have a max stay of 45-90 min.
I thought that it was Rapid chargers that limited your stay and imposed excess charges!
This is because a Rapid charger will charge to 80% usually in less than 60 mins. Most Destination chargers, which are Fast, don't usually impose over-stay penalties and are the ones you should be looking for. Hope this helps?
To answer the thread, I would like to see more 22Kwh chargers installed as stand alone chargers.

Registered
ONTO/Evezy 拢50 Code: CADA7
To answer the thread, I would like to see more 22Kwh chargers installed as stand alone chargers.
That depends where you are in the UK. Up in Scotland for example I'd probably say about half of the basic AC Charging posts are all 22kW. Meanwhile some cities in England that got on board early with EVs are using ancient technology to the point where many of their charge posts are still 3-Pin sockets!

The problem is other than your Zoe, most EV's can't charge at 22kW so it's hard to justify the extra expense and power requitement to upgrade in some places.

I thought that it was Rapid chargers that limited your stay and imposed excess charges!
My local council give you 1 Hour at a rapid charger and 4 Hours at a city centre 7 or 22kW charger. Once you get further out to the 3-Pin and 3kWs around residential areas that people use overnight for example you get up to 24 hours per charging session before it disconnects you (with no restriction on parking)

Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
That depends where you are in the UK. Up in Scotland for example I'd probably say about half of the basic AC Charging posts are all 22kW. Meanwhile some cities in England that got on board early with EVs are using ancient technology to the point where many of their charge posts are still 3-Pin sockets!

The problem is other than your Zoe, most EV's can't charge at 22kW so it's hard to justify the extra expense and power requitement to upgrade in some places.

My local council give you 1 Hour at a rapid charger and 4 Hours at a city centre 7 or 22kW charger. Once you get further out to the 3-Pin and 3kWs around residential areas that people use overnight for example you get up to 24 hours per charging session before it disconnects you (with no restriction on parking)
I agree with your comment about most cars not being able to charge at 22KW, 11 seems to be the norm!
I cynically think this is so more people will have to use Rapid chargers which cost more to use, they might make more profit for the operators.

Registered
So we all have local charge points, but where are they lacking?

Where do you go to regularly and think, we could really use charge points here!
Whitby in North Yorkshire is a hugely popular destination for day trippers. It has a massive car park in the town centre but not one charge point. The nearest point is at Aldi which is 2 miles away from the centre and this is only 7kW. The nearest rapid charger is about 28 miles away. In fact that whole coastline: Saltburn, Staithes, Sandsend, Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay is dire in terms of charge points.

I can just about make a round trip to Whitby in my e-niro without charging but half a dozen charging bays in the main car park, at least 7kW, would be very welcome. :)

Registered
2018 e-Golf
Motorway services. We need 10 bombproof contactless payment chargers minimum at every station. Ecotricity may as well not exist.

Registered
The available chargers should match how long the average car parks there.

7kW pod points in Tesco? Completely pointless, they're impractical with the parking limits and I only use them because they're free.

3/7kW posts in residential areas so those without dedicated drives can charge overnight, ditto with work car parks. Elsewhere just rapids.

Registered
Ultimately we will need a huge number of all types of charger if we are to move fully to electric. Destination chargers at 7kW are ok but as batteries are getting bigger and this will continue as bigger cars and vans are electrified, there will be a requirement for higher capacity chargers. There's no point in having an electric delivery van with 150 miles range if you can't fully charge it overnight. In Europe 3 phase charging is the norm with most cars capable of at least 11kW three phase chargers.. Most of these cars are fitted with 7kW single phase chargers for us as it's unusual to have single phase supplies to our houses. Tesla's have either 11kW or 16kW chargers fitted. In many of our cities with terraced housing it's not always going to be possible to park by a destination charger overnight and it might be preferable to use a rapid charger near your home.

Workplace car parks are obvious places for chargers as are most public car parks. We don't stay long enough in supermarkets to make it worthwhile plugging into 3kW chargers so they seem a bit pointless. 7kW should be a minimum.

Motorway services and major trunk roads need clusters of chargers preferably as high a power as possible to give them some future proofing. There is a lot of development work on battery chemistry that can charge faster and so higher power chargers will be required.

The world should be looking to develop a single mega charger standard for trucks so we don't end up with multiple formats like we currently have for cars.

Registered
2018 e-Golf
7kW pod points in Tesco? Completely pointless, they're impractical with the parking limits and I only use them because they're free.
This! Who stays in Tesco long enough to get enough charge to make it worthwhile. Home charging is so cheap i dont even bother with them even though they are free!

Reactions: HugoCurran

Registered
Lamp posts, it will resolve so many "mileage anxiety" issues not to mention that every street has them. The network is already in place. It could be done very quickly and it is cost effective. Local councils can benefit hugely if they start charging even 拢0.05 p per kW. All the people without home charging will be happy with this and will promote even further the benefit from EV.
I personally know at least 10 people considering buying EV and the only thing stopping them for now is the charging.

Registered
Car parks in and around town - 22kW for shoppers and 7kW for commuters with charges structured appropriately.
Commuter railway stations and works car parks - 7kW
Motorways and dual carriage service areas/restaurants - 100kW+
Suburbs - 7kW on a per-street basis using lamp posts

Registered
Motorway services. We need 10 bombproof contactless payment chargers minimum at every station. Ecotricity may as well not exist.
Absolutely - nothing worse than pulling into a service station with 20 miles left and having to cross your fingers, toes and eyes that the 1 working charger isn't in use/ICEd!

Whitby in North Yorkshire is a hugely popular destination for day trippers. It has a massive car park in the town centre but not one charge point. The nearest point is at Aldi which is 2 miles away from the centre and this is only 7kW. The nearest rapid charger is about 28 miles away. In fact that whole coastline: Saltburn, Staithes, Sandsend, Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay is dire in terms of charge points.

I can just about make a round trip to Whitby in my e-niro without charging but half a dozen charging bays in the main car park, at least 7kW, would be very welcome. :)
Also this, and the same on the Welsh coast. Hardly any chargers in the area anyway, but a few 7kw chargers at every beach carpark would be perfect. They are exactly the kind of places people want to drive to early in the morning, leave the car for the day while they enjoy the beach, and come back 5-6 hours later to drive home - in fact extend that to all national parks, woodland carparks etc.

evezy referral code d6540
Local councils can benefit hugely if they start charging even 拢0.05 p per kW. All the people without home charging will be happy with this and will promote even further the benefit from EV.
Very few houses have off-street parking in my area, including me. My council has just installed a 22kW charger at the top of my road. It鈥檚 in a resident parking zone, but you are allowed 4 hours to charge.

Unfortunately they want 30ppkWh. So at that tariff, I don鈥檛 think it will be used very often. And there are now two less much needed parking spaces for residents. I may have to put fake tail pipes on my Zoe for fear of reprisals 馃ぃ

Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
It's very simple really. Destination charger every parking spot, many rapid chargers at each service on trunk roads.

The most important ones are rapid chargers at trunk road services. There should ALWAYS be more chargers there than typical peak demand AT EACH LOCATION. They are the backbone infrastructure of making EV a true fossil fuel car replacement.

As driveway owner, the ONLY reason I still have a dirty diesel is due to lack of reliable rapid charging infrastructure at services. To me, EV daily usage was solved back in 2011, public infrastructure is optional. But to have EV truly replace ICE cars, only one type of infrastructure is required.

Registered
Lamp posts, it will resolve so many "mileage anxiety" issues not to mention that every street has them. The network is already in place. It could be done very quickly and it is cost effective. Local councils can benefit hugely if they start charging even 拢0.05 p per kW. All the people without home charging will be happy with this and will promote even further the benefit from EV.
I personally know at least 10 people considering buying EV and the only thing stopping them for now is the charging.
The network isn鈥檛 already in place - lamp posts aren鈥檛 metered and are accounted for in distribution losses, on the whole. Strap a bunch of 3kW chargers to them and the DNO is going to want someone to pay for the energy use which means meters, administration etc.

Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
Motorway Service Stations - anyone should be able to pull off the motorway and know they've got rapid charging, food, drink and toilets all in one place - just as they do with a petrol or diesel car.
Anywhere people park for extended periods - train stations etc, and of course on-street for overnight charging.

So everywhere basically - but avoid the stupid restrictions like a 7kw charger with a 1hr stay limit!

Super Moderator
What type of points do we need most and where, destination, rapid??
EVs are best recharged where they are parked overnight. We need large numbers of 7 or 11kW public chargers where people park overnight. Too many govt. funded posts are going in the wrong places.

Wales needs a few enroute rapid charger hubs. Recent additions improved North - South connections but it is still very sparse. Single rapids at hotels aren't good enough.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts