Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the brainwave today of removing all the high viz jackets and suchlike from the storage cubby under the boot floor, depositing them in other places, and trying to squeeze my type 2 charging cable in there instead. It kind of fits, though not curled up into a neat coil, more just shoved in there. Does anyone else keep their type 2 cable in there? Might give up on that, put it back into its bag and leave the bag loose in the boot if everyone else has concluded squashing it into the cubby is a bad place for it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, that’s where we’ve had ours stored since new. It will never get used much so was with the effort in making it fit nicely! Took it into the house and coiled it nice and tight whilst laid out on the floor - fits lovely and the first aid kit still fits alongside it too! High vis jacket in the driver door pocket where it’s meant to fit (the bit at the back)...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I tried to fit the cable in the cubby hole but it doesn't quite fit & is a pain to get out then squeeze back in after using it. I'm considering getting the raised floor retrofitted into mine, as I do miss that from the e-Golf. The only downside is that it does make the usable boot space quite a bit smaller.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here’s a picture of how I’ve got ours - just to prove it does fit - and with the toolkit and the first aid kit still in there! I think the key is getting the coil of cable sitting separately on the right and then the plugs sit on top of the tool kit. No need for the raised floor!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Here’s a picture of how I’ve got ours - just to prove it does fit
Is that the standard cable that came with the car? It looks very thin. I guess I'm too lazy (or always in too much of a rush) to spend time on getting the cable so tightly/neatly wound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is that the standard cable that came with the car? It looks very thin. I guess I'm too lazy (or always in too much of a rush) to spend time on getting the cable so tightly/neatly wound.
Yep the standard VW cable - probably a trick of the photo - it’s pretty thick - actually I remember thinking when it was new that it seemed unnecessarily thick compared to the one on my other EV......then I remembered it was German engineering!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here’s a picture of how I’ve got ours - just to prove it does fit - and with the toolkit and the first aid kit still in there! I think the key is getting the coil of cable sitting separately on the right and then the plugs sit on top of the tool kit. No need for the raised floor!

Yeah, I fear I may be too lazy to wind it up that neat too! Think you could wind it up that neat in a car park on a rainy day, or is that a floor of living room type job only would you say?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I gave up on the bag but coil ours in the space rather than before it goes in if that makes sense, making sure that the ends are in the middle. plenty of space for the first aid kit on top.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
I think I need the raised boot floor in my life, anybody got a part number?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't, but it's worth noting that you have to fit the brackets for it to sit on. I've seen a couple of posts (I forget where, sorry) that people have had their dealer fit them. I think there's some carpet/trim removal required.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, I fear I may be too lazy to wind it up that neat too! Think you could wind it up that neat in a car park on a rainy day, or is that a floor of living room type job only would you say?
To be fair I brought it in the house as it was cold when we got the car - so cable quite rigid - and brand new. Now it’s been coiled like that for some time I imagine it would go straight back to that shape easily....and after use it would be warm anyway even in winter....so yes, I’d imagine I could coil that quickly in my hands/in the boot.

In honesty I doubt we’ll ever use it though....tethered charger at home and when in the wild we’d seek out a rapid DC...

Think I’ve used mine in the other EV twice in nearly 2 years; and the granny cable once.

·
Premium Member
6,661 Posts
I don't, but it's worth noting that you have to fit the brackets for it to sit on. I've seen a couple of posts (I forget where, sorry) that people have had their dealer fit them. I think there's some carpet/trim removal required.
Ah ok, I’ll give the dealer a call as it’s there at the moment anyway. 👍

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech
59 Posts
I've got one on order from here:

Should arrive in a couple of days, looks to be a doddle to fit. You just have to pierce the carpet sidewalls to access the screw holes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I thought about the raised boot floor to hide the cables but not sure if it is something I will regularly make use of. If the car comes with it fine but a raised boot floor will not make any difference in my life.

·
Premium Member
6,661 Posts
I've got one on order from here:

Should arrive in a couple of days, looks to be a doddle to fit. You just have to pierce the carpet sidewalls to access the screw holes.
Thanks for this, much appreciated. 👍🙂

Just placed an order for mine with them!

How long ago did you order yours?

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech
59 Posts
I thought about the raised boot floor to hide the cables but not sure if it is something I will regularly make use of. If the car comes with it fine but a raised boot floor will not make any difference in my life.
I mainly wanted it to give me a level loading space with the seats down, and no lip into the boot, but it's also handy for storing cables etc.!

How long ago did you order yours?
I only ordered on Friday, they dispatched very quickly and it's in transit to the UK, I've already got Parcelforce tracking - really impressed so far, will keep you updated!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be fair I brought it in the house as it was cold when we got the car - so cable quite rigid - and brand new. Now it’s been coiled like that for some time I imagine it would go straight back to that shape easily....and after use it would be warm anyway even in winter....so yes, I’d imagine I could coil that quickly in my hands/in the boot.

In honesty I doubt we’ll ever use it though....tethered charger at home and when in the wild we’d seek out a rapid DC...

Think I’ve used mine in the other EV twice in nearly 2 years; and the granny cable once.
Used the stu-EVs patented ‘get off your lazy arse, bring the cable into the warm, and coil it up properly’ technique and it worked! Not sure I got it coiled up quite as tightly as you did in your picture, but still tight enough that it fits into the cubby a lot neater. Time will tell whether I can get it back in there as neat out in the wild, but hopefully having coiled it smaller now it will want to return to it’s new shape naturally.

I do use the type 2 cable a fair bit (in normal times when I leave my house), and have just posted about a hundred comments about how useful destination charging is in another thread, so I suspect I will end up trying it fairly soon once lockdown is over.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Used the stu-EVs patented ‘get off your lazy arse, bring the cable into the warm, and coil it up properly’ technique and it worked! Not sure I got it coiled up quite as tightly as you did in your picture, but still tight enough that it fits into the cubby a lot neater. Time will tell whether I can get it back in there as neat out in the wild, but hopefully having coiled it smaller now it will want to return to it’s new shape naturally.

I do use the type 2 cable a fair bit (in normal times when I leave my house), and have just posted about a hundred comments about how useful destination charging is in another thread, so I suspect I will end up trying it fairly soon once lockdown is over.
Haha Glad it worked for you too!

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech
59 Posts
Variable height floor arrived from Germany today - just 4 days since ordering, great service and no customs fees to pay! Took half an hour to fit.

Before:

After:

No dramas, but you do need to be prepared to cut a hole in the sidewall lining to accommodate the attaching screw boss at the front of each support (and just a cross cut for the rear screw):

The only outstanding thing is to decide if I want to trim the original floor carpet to fit the narrower gap between the raised floor supports since this currently blocks putting the raised floor in it's lower position.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts