Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I remember seeing in the region of 70 twizy's for sale on the Auto Trader. Today there are none? Have renault bought them all back?

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Really, 70? Whenever I've look there is never seen more than 10 for sale.

Really interested in a twizy as a fun summer you seeing as my classic mini is costing me zero (ie off road being repaired slowly by me)

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
1,304 Posts
There's 4 listed on eBay at the moment.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just being Cat c (or d ) salvage doesnt mean you own the battery.
This one states they have documentation, most Renaults going for salvage either still have the battery in awaiting the sale,or the battery pack already removed. Most dont have a settlement with renault for the battery pack. I can only guess the vehicle was entirely financed with Renault, so the finance company was the one who got the insurance payment. In many car finance deals the Car is one deal, and the battery lease is a separate agreement. Not necesarily the same company.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Last year I remember seeing in the region of 70 twizy's for sale on the Auto Trader. Today there are none? Have renault bought them all back?
There are 181 for sell in Europe by Autoscout24 ... 8 on Ottomoto, in Poland .. where EV car are extremely rare

Maybe are not big numbers .. but as well, the Twizy sold new by Renault in Europe are also little numbers

PS: If they would have made a proper door with window ... they could have sold 5 times more ...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Since the Twizy is neither a LHD nor a RHD .... I guess people in UK can buy it also from the continental Europe ...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
They are very expensive for what you get. I looked at one and very quickly decided it was a lemon.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
I paid £5000 recently for a 2012 Ion with under 20,000 miles. Some people would pay £5 for a 2012 Twizy. By comparison it seems a lot for a fun car, with restrictions such as mileage/battery tax/range/no rapid charging and more. I agree it is a lemon. Fun and appealing car yes, but expensive for what it is, yes also.

Lots of people, myself included would buy a Twizy. But lets face it, the battery tax is an obstacle/issue most of us just can't get past.

But after Brexit, the UK will be like Norway and outside the EU. So maybe there is hope the Renault battery tax situation could end soon? Or maybe not...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I paid £5000 recently for a 2012 Ion with under 20,000 miles. Some people would pay £5 for a 2012 Twizy. By comparison it seems a lot for a fun car, with restrictions such as mileage/battery tax/range/no rapid charging and more. I agree it is a lemon. Fun and appealing car yes, but expensive for what it is, yes also.

Lots of people, myself included would buy a Twizy. But lets face it, the battery tax is an obstacle/issue most of us just can't get past.

But after Brexit, the UK will be like Norway and outside the EU. So maybe there is hope the Renault battery tax situation could end soon? Or maybe not...
Battery tax ?

Do you mean the leasing cost of the battery that Renault is using on most of their EV ?

There are some Twizy sold by 3rd party which can be get with a own battery and no leasing cost .. but when I did inform my self price for such used twizy were at a around 10k , which is a lot of money for a used small EV ... more or less the same for a used Fiat 500e

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Do you mean the leasing cost of the battery that Renault is using on most of their EV ?

There are some Twizy sold by 3rd party which can be get with a own battery and no leasing cost .. but when I did inform my self price for such used twizy were at a around 10k , which is a lot of money for a used small EV ... more or less the same for a used Fiat 500e
Yes the battery tax / Renault tax / battery leasing or whatever you want to call it. It is extortionate, limiting (re mileage restrictions), and not very flexible. It also makes it harder to sell on a car when it applies.

You wouldn't have to pay £10k for a 6 or 7 yr old Twizy with a bit of mileage that was battery owned. But trying to get hold of such things in the UK is rare and very limited anyway.

So we're getting cheap, green electricity thanks to leaving the EU? You'd think that the Leave campaign would have mentioned that.
I didn't say that :) Norway is light years ahead of the UK as a whole. Scotland is the only current UK country that can catch up with Norway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes the battery tax / Renault tax / battery leasing or whatever you want to call it. It is extortionate, limiting (re mileage restrictions), and not very flexible. It also makes it harder to sell on a car when it applies.

You wouldn't have to pay £10k for a 6 or 7 yr old Twizy with a bit of mileage that was battery owned. But trying to get hold of such things in the UK is rare and very limited anyway.

I didn't say that :) Norway is light years ahead of the UK as a whole. Scotland is the only current UK country that can catch up with Norway.

The thing is with no battery rental, the original price of the Twizy would have had to have been sky high and they wouldn't have sold barely any and would have discontinued it. While no-one likes leasing battery (why is the Twizy battery rental higher than a Kangoo ZE?!) it enabled them to keep making this little Twizy and other electric car models like the Zoe. It's not as if this is a highly profitable product, it's a very minor sideshow for Groupe Renault.

Compare the Twizy to the much hyped Toyota I-Road, a potentially brilliant little EV but cynically used in corporate advertising and not actually available to buy, only through a few car sharing clubs.

I suppose we should be grateful that the Twizy exists at all!?

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
I bought an Ion via the classifieds on this very forum about 5-6 weeks ago. Just under 20,000 miles and battery owned and cost £5000. The Twizy is a lot of money to pay for what is really a slow charging, low range, small, but very funky and appealing looking BEV. Most of us would like one, is just financially unsound when we consider it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I bought an Ion via the classifieds on this very forum about 5-6 weeks ago. Just under 20,000 miles and battery owned and cost £5000. The Twizy is a lot of money to pay for what is really a slow charging, low range, small, but very funky and appealing looking BEV. Most of us would like one, is just financially unsound when we consider it.
At the price point you paid ... it starts to make sense ...

When I was looking for one with own battery , my cost would have been at least double

PS: There is no real economical sense on getting these twezy .. it is a pure fun factor ... which in my case ... I will be looking on a used Fiat 500e ... which I can get for 10k and it should have same fun and low run / maintenance costs .. not as crazy looking as a Twizy .. but still quite some fun factor on it

·
Super Moderator
10,866 Posts
Quite a lot when you consider you can pick up a Zoe for that much.
I say very expensive once you include £49 a month for the battery lease.

Renault have never offered a battery owned version in the UK either. Nearly all of the UK ones are saddled with ~£50 a month lease payments. I call that absurdly expensive for a 6.1kWh battery pack. Renault could just about give away the shell and make money on the battery lease.

Maybe not. Twizzy might be expensive to build. The Twizzy production line does not use robots. Most of the construction is done by hand. Per unit labour cost could be much higher than a Zoe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts