Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Leaf lover
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am correct in saying most of the vehicles I have owned have been Fords and that company saw the UK as an important place to do business and the UK became very important to them.
So why shouldn't the UK become important to Tesla?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,472 Posts
Because it’s no longer a member of the EU and therefore isn’t a gateway to a very large market anymore?

Because in global terms the UK is still only a tiny percentage of global sales?

Of course, that might change if the Government throw some money at them. We might even see a De Lorean type escapade in Northern Ireland, you never know.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think the next two likely to be built seem to be India and east of America.

Elon Musk has often said the idea is to have a factory close to where the cars are being sold, having a West Coast(Fremont) Central(Texas) and East Coast (Somewhere near New York perhaps) fits in with that.

I hope after that the UK is a part of the master plan, possibly as a place to produce all Right Hand Drive models, the UK presumably being the biggest RHD market in the world for Tesla.

But it is possible that the priority for that could not only be behind Giga India and the third Giga USA but also behind a second Giga China!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I hope after that the UK is a part of the master plan, possibly as a place to produce all Right Hand Drive models, the UK presumably being the biggest RHD market in the world for Tesla.
UK won't be the primary RHD market once they launch in India. If they do set up manufacturing in India as well that could probably do all of the RHD production for the world.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,626 Posts
I think I am correct in saying most of the vehicles I have owned have been Fords and that company saw the UK as an important place to do business and the UK became very important to them.
I notice the past tense in the comment about Ford - they are close to departing the UK entirely in terms of manufacturing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
UK won't be the primary RHD market once they launch in India. If they do set up manufacturing in India as well that could probably do all of the RHD production for the world.
Oh dear, you may right.

If they do go ahead with Giga India fairly soon maybe we won’t get a factory in the UK at all then. At least not within this decade.

We’ll have to get used to German made Teslas for a while.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,626 Posts
Is that a problem? I can't imagine that quality will be any higher from India than Germany and the tariffs will not be any lower.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Oh dear, you may right.

If they do go ahead with Giga India fairly soon maybe we won’t get a factory in the UK at all then. At least not within this decade.

I'd rather a Tesla built in Germany than in the UK.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019, 2014 Nissan Leaf
439 Posts
England is a small market. After most of the large markets, sometime.

Hey, I have an idea. Why doesn't England join the Common Market, like Scotland and NI are think about doing? Then England would be part of a much larger market. ~/~

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
England is a small market. After most of the large markets, sometime.

Hey, I have an idea. Why doesn't England join the Common Market, like Scotland and NI are think about doing? Then England would be part of a much larger market. ~/~
Interesting idea. Do you think that could cut down on red tape and boost our exports?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,307 Posts
I hear the mayor of Swindon has invited Elon to take over the Honda factory there, which is about to shut down because Brexit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It is not about to shut down because Brexit. It's due to shut down because Honda got caught with their pants down with basically no electrification plans and little demand for the end-of-life Civic.

They have themselves repeatedly stated on the record that it's nothing to do with Brexit.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,626 Posts
It is shutting down because the EU did a trade deal with Japan that allowed the tariff free import of cars built in Japan into the EU, reducing the benefit of satellite car plants within the EU. Some might say that was being vindictive given that Honda, Nissan and Toyota all chose the UK over the rest of the EU27 ........

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,626 Posts
Can't rejoin the EU, perhaps the Common Market could come back?
You are sounding like Boris who also led people to believe that you could be outside of the EU but remain in the Common Market ...... :p

·
Registered
439 Posts
You are sounding like Boris who also led people to believe that you could be outside of the EU but remain in the Common Market ...... :p
I was missing ~/~

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great Yarmouth is the obvious choice. Tesla can then capitalise on Norfolk's reputation for technical innovation ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts