Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

121 - 140 of 214 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,503 Posts
Self driving is not required at all, just makes the system more efficient. Instead of going to a charger you go to a parking lot and get into a freshly charged car and drive away. London to Nedd is a driving distance of 664 miles, 12 hrs 2 min, no public transit.

My route wouldn't go past a charging lot or charger, so how would it be 'quicker' if I have to divert off my route?

I'm aware of the Tesla 'proof of principle' robotic arm, but if it worked why isn't it already fitted to their public chargers?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The lots can be anywhere, because the transportation as a service system places the cars where they are needed according to your destination. This can be done with electric lorries if self driving is not yet available.

·
29,503 Posts
The lots can be anywhere, because the transportation as a service system places the cars where they are needed according to your destination. This can be done with electric lorries if self driving is not yet available.
If a car meets me in the middle of nowhere and the car I am in is flat and is telling me to get out, and I get out and find the replacement car is covered in sick, you still haven't explained to me what happens next?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Won’t happen, pics are taken of the cabin before and after rides. A passenger rating system fines or excludes unruly users from future rides.

·
29,503 Posts
Won’t happen, pics are taken of the cabin before and after rides. A passenger rating system fines or excludes unruly users from future rides.
How does it take a picture of a smell? What colour is sick-smell?

What colour is 'sticky-seat'?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
518 Posts
Banning private cars will simply be much more palatable to the public when there is a safer, cheaper and equally if not more convenient alternative.
Banning private cars will never be palatable in any of our lifetimes. Ever.

Governments represent the people. If we don't like them, we get rid of them. They run scared of putting 1p on petrol. The very idea of them ever banning private cars is preposterous.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Banning private cars will simply be much more palatable to the public when there is a safer, cheaper and equally if not more convenient alternative.
If there is "a safer, cheaper and equally if not more convenient alternative" people will use that anyway.
No banning required.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Over how big an area? Just look at a 2 mile stretch of Market Street in San Francisco…
You need to decide which country you are targeting.
Private car/public transport considerations and provision in the US and UK are vastly different, so using an example from one to advise another is problematic.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Many of the arguments I’ve heard against the dangers of treadmilless ebikes also apply to private cars if not more so due to the overwhelming volume of casualties…

As the dream of banning cars becomes a reality Wednesday on San Francisco’s Market Street — an idea dating to when horse-drawn buggies jockeyed for space among puttering Ford Model Ts — one top transportation official is already pitching ideas for the next car-free thoroughfare

-SF Chronicle, Jan 8 2020

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Many of the arguments I’ve heard against the dangers of treadmilless ebikes also apply to private cars if not more so due to the overwhelming volume of casualties…

As the dream of banning cars becomes a reality Wednesday on San Francisco’s Market Street — an idea dating to when horse-drawn buggies jockeyed for space among puttering Ford Model Ts — one top transportation official is already pitching ideas for the next car-free thoroughfare

I really have no idea what you are on about there.
And WTF is a 'treadmilless ebike'? American I guess ...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I really have no idea what you are on about there.
And WTF is a 'treadmilless ebike'? American I guess ...
It’s what you would call an escooter… an electric bike without victorian torture device that was banned from prisons in the very early 1900’s…

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
meanwhile, in other news, whilst people on the well know SpeakEV forum were discussing battery and general vehicle improvements, a UK company invented and manufactured in qty the worlds first nuclear powered solid state treadless battery that can be installed by the homeowner and refilled overnight in a normal household bath.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
518 Posts

There are lots of examples of pedestrianised streets in the heart of towns and cities. It's an awful long stretch from that to the banning of private cars. I am 52. It won't happen in my lifetime.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
There are lots of examples of pedestrianised streets in the heart of towns and cities. It's an awful long stretch from that to the banning of private cars. I am 52. It won't happen in my lifetime.
I wonder if a scientific study has been done on the pedestrian fatality rates of the streets before and after…

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
149 Posts
Lets face it the general populace is lazy, they just want convenience, how that effortless movement from A-B is achieved is open to debate, but to some extent people don't care as long as life is easy for them and financially of benefit.
I used to travel to London a couple of times a year, it is easily within the range of my EV, and would be considerably cheaper, however the prospect of driving into London trying to find parking, the hassle of getting out of London, makes the train, although far more expensive a suitable alternative, even if it does mean a bit of walking to get to the local station and at the other end. Like I said transport has to be convenient.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am completely baffled and bemused by this thread. The OP was asking what were peoples' views on where EV technology was heading and the vast majority of replies (at least as far as I got before I lost the will to live) were that, fundamentally, battery technology was fine as it is and that all people need to do is to rein in unrealistic expectations and accept the world as it is.

Firstly, the technology is not going to stand still, whatever the wishes of some on here. Secondly there are many people for whom the current technology is not yet good enough - I wonder just how many people with no off-street parking have been contributing to this thread?
I think you need to understand that the OP has been here a little while and this thread is just one of a series lamenting various aspects of EVs.. Secondly, I think you have misread the general opinions on battery technology expressed here. Nobody wishes the technology to stand still (you thought that?!), nor are we saying we should rein in unrealistic expectations. Anybody who has been on this forum for any time at all will have seen the changes that have already taken place and are continuing. I think what I and other people are saying is deal with the situation at the current moment in time. It took me almost three years from joining this forum to buying an EV. Waiting for even better technology which I know is coming might have been a good idea but ultimately I weighed matters in the balance and acted.

As for your point about off-street parking. I'm sorry, but that is not the issue. There is no point having a big battery if expensive electricity costs continue: the size of the battery or speed of charge really isn't the issue for such people. I'll be charging at 0.54p a unit tonight but there is no way I could justify an EV even at the cheaper end of the range of costs of slow lamp post chargers and the like.

Finally, I think Donald and Metastable should get a room. I've lost count of the threads ruined by the former.

121 - 140 of 214 Posts